India identifying requirement for small arms fire detection system

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag

August 30, 2014: The last 18 months along the Line of Control and specifically the last few weeks on the International Border has forced the Army and BSF to begin an exercise to construct a requirement for small arms fire detection systems for forward posts and bunkers. Systems developed by Israel, the U.S. and Sweden have been identified as potential contenders in a sizeable competition for an unspecific (but large) number of systems. Top sources tell SP's the Army and BSF will be looking for an electro- optical system designed and built to guide its user to the precise location of small arms fire. The system needs to be able to detect multiple small arms and/or sniper fire sources simultaneously, during day or night, at long ranges and with high precision and detection probabilities. The system needs to be capable of investigating all fire sources detected, verifying that they are genuinely hostile fire, transferring verified targets to friendly snipers and closing the sensor-to-shooter loop quickly and efficiently. The main features of such a system need to be high accuracy, high detection probability, simultaneous multi-target detection, identification and location day and night capability, and fire management capability.
India identifying requirement for small arms fire detection system - SP's Land Forces

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Very good news indeed. I've been waiting to hear this news since the recent border firings. Any ideas on who are the possible contenders for this system are?

Hari Sud

Country flag
These systems work in the glossy brochures and publicity stunt videos. Otherwise these are useless.

power_monger

Country flag
With the terrain we have in Kashmir,this technology will not work.If i guess it right,these technology should make use of Infrared Technology to find out the places where fire emerges out.But in thick bushes and urban warfare,this technology would be obsolete. But this technology could come handy in areas like rajasthan where we can view large distances without visual distrubance.

Anoop Sajwan

After looking at the technical terms, I think we should only buy in few number and should give opportunity to our private sector to develop this one. I think by current capability any private company can develop,this system within 2-3 years.

Probably IA want pinpoint the location of snipers and motor positions in skirmishes like recent one. So That threat can be suppressed minimum time and friendly damage can be reduces.

indiatester

Country flag
Is there any proper requirements document for this system.
It would be an interesting pet project for some folks.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles