India English growth 'too slow'

Vladimir79

Professional
India English growth 'too slow'

India student
India's English language skills are slow, a study says

India is falling behind countries such as China in its attempts to increase the use of English among its population, a new report says.

The study by the British Council says a "huge shortage" of teachers and quality institutions is hampering India despite a growing demand for English skills.

The study says China may now have more people who speak English than India.

India's emergence as a major software and IT hub has in part been possible due to its English-educated workers.

'Poor English'

The study, English Next India, by British author David Gradoll says English is a "casualty of wider problems in Indian education".

Much of the world is catching India up in terms of the English proficiency of their populations
Report author David Gradoll

It says: "The rate of improvement in the English language skills of the Indian population is at present too slow to prevent India from falling behind other countries which have implemented the teaching of English in primary schools sooner, and more successfully.

"China may already have more people who speak English than India."

The report says India will need many more people speaking English to sustain its economic growth.

Increasing demand for English language schools, a rising number of jobs which require English skills as well as growing social mobility are driving demand for English in India, the study says.

But the spread of the language, according to the report, is being hindered by a shortage of English language teaching in schools.

The report says Indian universities fall far short of rival countries in the quality of teaching and research, and "poor English is one of the causes".

Also, the report adds, it is "impossible" to improve standards of English without addressing the problem of "very low levels of academic achievement" of students studying in government and private schools.

The study says a range of approaches is required to improve English proficiency in India, and no single method will help.

English has been spoken in India from the days of colonial rule, but there are no precise estimates on how many Indians speak, read and write English.

One estimate suggests 333 million people in India "use English", but India's National Knowledge Commission says "even now, no more than 1% of our people use English as a second language, let alone a first language".

BBC NEWS | South Asia | India English growth 'too slow'

S.A.T.A

Considering the craze one witnesses here for getting Young kids admitted to English medium schools(i mean applying one year in advance for English medium play schools)the news perhaps is incredible.However if its true makes for excellent news :)

A M J

Congrats to BBC for one more incredible article in their long list of "spew at India no matter what sh*t it means".

Vladimir79

Professional
Congrats to BBC for one more incredible article in their long list of "spew at India no matter what sh*t it means".
Is it so meaningless? My mother wanted me to learn English back in the days of perestroika because she saw the country was opening up to the West. I have since had opportunities I never would have had otherwise. I take it is the same for most Indians. Why did you bother to learn if it is so useless?

RPK

Indyakudimahan
Country flag
Unlike west Indian student has to study Three basic lanuguages that is foreign language -english, national language - hindi & regional language - tamil, telugu,Gujarati ,Kannada Malayalam, Punjabi,Bengali, Marathi, so on..................... Plus Science , Maths, History , geography,

I call that ours Kids are genius indeed. so much burden on then

bhramos

Country flag
well it was not a burden to learn Minimum these three languages.
well i'm happy to learn and speak atleast 5 languages. English, Hindi, Urdu, Telugu & Tamil...
our children are fast gen X,so they can learn much more fast and perfectly. then our Gen.

sandeepdg

Well, we are still better off than more than half of the world at least !

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Grammatically Indians speak very good English(sometimes better than English-speaking countries), but their pronunciation is not as good as native speakers.Indians do not speak English with proper native accent, i admit !

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles