India, China consensus on avoiding war: Chinese spokesman

Country flag
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/World/India-China-agree-on-avoiding-war/articleshow/4340781.cms

India, China consensus on avoiding war: Chinese spokesman

BEIJING
: China and India have reached a consensus that there will be no war between the two countries, Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Qin
Gang said on Tuesday.

He was replying to reporter seeking his views on a report in an Indian newspaper saying that the Indian military did its work assuming China to be an enemy and expecting a war with it in the next 10 years.

"We feel surprised about the report," Qin Gang at a regular news briefing.

"The state leaders of China and India had already reached consensus that the two countries will not pose a threat to each other," Qin said. The two countries were involved in mutually beneficial cooperation, he said.

China was willing to work with India to push forward the long-term, steady and sound development of bilateral ties, he said.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Didn't the people of India believe the same in 1961? Who stabbed in the back even if the leadership was naive?

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
They did it once and I doubt they'll shy away from doing it again...

Country flag
this time there is no pushover like Nehru it could be ugly for them in many ways.

EnlightenedMonk

this time there is no pushover like Nehru it could be ugly for them in many ways.
Yep, more than just a bloody nose this time around.... the Army is inducting bigtime and if all goes well we should have longer range supersonic cruise missiles by then...

Coupled with missile defences, we will certainly not be pushovers...

But, the only worry I have is that they have everything in superior quantity, if not quality...

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Guys one serious question, Do you guys really think we LOST the war in 1962. I don't think so.

EnlightenedMonk

Guys one serious question, Do you guys really think we LOST the war in 1962. I don't think so.
Technically we didn't. But morally I think we were demoralised for maybe sometime (I wasnt around then, so maybe some elders can fill us out on this).

The problem was that the Chinese supply lines were too stretched and they realised they couldn't hold onto Arunachal Pradesh and had to make a strategic withdrawal. And, by that time, the IA counterattack had also begun in full force after the initial shock. The terrain was our greatest friend there and they couldn't shore up the supply lines.

But, if you ask me, if there was some magical way in which they could have shored up the supply lines, it would have been almost impossible for us to throw them out...

Country flag
Yep, more than just a bloody nose this time around.... the Army is inducting bigtime and if all goes well we should have longer range supersonic cruise missiles by then...

Coupled with missile defences, we will certainly not be pushovers...

But, the only worry I have is that they have everything in superior quantity, if not quality...
I am sure some friends will help us out in that department, but our quantity to quality is sufficient.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Technically we didn't. But morally I think we were demoralised for maybe sometime (I wasnt around then, so maybe some elders can fill us out on this).

The problem was that the Chinese supply lines were too stretched and they realised they couldn't hold onto Arunachal Pradesh and had to make a strategic withdrawal. And, by that time, the IA counterattack had also begun in full force after the initial shock. The terrain was our greatest friend there and they couldn't shore up the supply lines.

But, if you ask me, if there was some magical way in which they could have shored up the supply lines, it would have been almost impossible for us to throw them out...
The point I am trying to make is the war is always decided to be won or lost based on the objectives set and weather they are achieved or not. So if the attacking side has not met the objectives then how it can be declared victorious?

EnlightenedMonk

The point I am trying to make is the war is always decided to be won or lost based on the objectives set and weather they are achieved or not. So if the attacking side has not met the objectives then how it can be declared victorious?
Thats what I said... Technically we didnt lose... they lost...

But we were demoralised.... IMHO

Flint

Sorry to crash the party guys, but we lost territory, and they didn't!

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
True, we didn't lose and got through... but that did teach us a foreign policy lesson or two...
Thanks for clearing my thoughts, 1962 was different this time it will nice to hunt the han Chinese which are single kids for there families.

EnlightenedMonk

Thanks for clearing my thoughts, 1962 was different this time it will nice to hunt the han Chinese which are single kids for there families.
LOL!!! Why do I sense you had a big-evil grin on your face when you wrote that statement??? :tank::tank::tank:

EnlightenedMonk

Sorry to crash the party guys, but we lost territory, and they didn't!
True, but their final goal was the capture of Arunachal, which they didn't achieve... so, one could argue both ways... we did lose territory, but not as much as the Chinese wanted to inflict on us...

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
We have a natural fort called Himalayas. Besides India is not their only headache to commit all their forces to. So the quantity factor is ruled out.
We have better equipment and besides our training is far superior. We have more experience in fighting on high terrain and have our tactics in place for it. Not that I under estimate the Chinese, but remember that is a secretive society and we will never come to know of their true strengths and weaknesses.
Besides we have long range missiles with nukes on it that can target Beijing and Shanghai which will always keep them in check.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
True, but their final goal was the capture of Arunachal, which they didn't achieve... so, one could argue both ways... we did lose territory, but not as much as the Chinese wanted to inflict on us...
Guys, the aim of the Chinese from the outset was to humiliate and demoralize India and not capture huge chunks of our land. Thats why they declared ceasefire unilaterally. If they wanted to they could have pushed us further. India was not prepared for that war and were caught napping. Its only our brave soldiers who defended us in adverse condition.
Nehru was just too naive to think the Chinese wouldnt attack and that we were bhai bhai.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles