India-China 2020 Border Dispute - Military and Strategic Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
If China, hence Pak move closer to Iran then corollary is that India will move closer to Sunni Axis led by Saudis & UAE.

We will always be able to use Chabbar port as Iran is also no friend of Taliban Take over. Russia cannot allow China to dominate this region too much as China is ultimately its Civilizational enemy.

Hence, foreign policy is more nuanced.

Unfortunately as we given up both our manufacturing sector & defense production to imports, our leverage in international affairs is minuscule.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
The current threat are drones where China is king. Swarm of drones is real threat. High volume radar directed fire is needed.

Similarly land based jammers can crash a drone as well as aerial guided weapons.

I think biggest change army needs is to confront drone warfare.
That why Rudra - WSI. the airforce versions have now bee deployed in Ladakh armed with Minstrel missiles.. specially sited for anti UAV operations..

nick_indian

Country flag
I think we have lost Iran. We stopped buying crude from Iran under American threats. We pulled out of Chabahar.

Right now we cannot be in Western camp as well as friend of Iran at the same time. The problem is Iran wants to destroy Israel. We are now friends with Israel.

Iran is fighting actively against America and Israel.
I am no fan of Congress but somehow they managed to balance relations between West/Israel and Iran pretty well. Modi has not been able to do that for some reason. If we lose Iran, we lose Afghanistan, Balochistan and also our otherwise patriotic Shia population may feel antagonised. At the cost of receiving ire from Modi fans, I must say this is an utter failure of his foreign policy. I hope there is some quick action from this government to retain Iran.

Kumata

Country flag
The current threat are drones where China is king. Swarm of drones is real threat. High volume radar directed fire is needed.

Similarly land based jammers can crash a drone as well as aerial guided weapons.

I think biggest change army needs is to confront drone warfare.
Would not jammers Will ensure that these drones fell off skies like kites....

garg_bharat

Country flag
If China, hence Pak move closer to Iran then corollary is that India will move closer to Sunni Axis led by Saudis & UAE.

We will always be able to use Chabbar port as Iran is also no friend of Taliban Take over. Russia cannot allow China to dominate this region too much as China is ultimately its Civilizational enemy.

Hence, foreign policy is more nuanced.

Unfortunately as we given up both our manufacturing sector & defense production to imports, our leverage in international affairs is minuscule.
There are certain things where luck pushes you. Indian economy is structured in such a way that dependence on West is heavy. If there is a fallout between West and China, we will be forced to choose the West.

The problem is India has no trust in China. So trade relations do not really help when there is no trust.

Russia under Putin has cultivated China as a counterweight to USA. So while Russia may have reason to be wary of China, we have no advantage here in the short run.

Now China has not only converted Pakistan to a subservient state, Iran is on the same path.

It is a very dangerous situation for India.

Indians have to stop talking and start acting. A lot is needed to be done to make country strong.

garg_bharat

Country flag
I think India needs invocation of emergency powers to confront serious military challenge.
The changes to military and defence procurements cannot happen under normal procedures.

mokoman

Country flag
I am no fan of Congress but somehow they managed to balance relations between West/Israel and Iran pretty well. Modi has not been able to do that for some reason. If we lose Iran, we lose Afghanistan, Balochistan and also our otherwise patriotic Shia population may feel antagonised. At the cost of receiving ire from Modi fans, I must say this is an utter failure of his foreign policy. I hope there is some quick action from this government to retain Iran.
You cant blame Modi for Trump's actions.We cant afford pissing of US.

US has been squeezing Iran and Syria for some time now.

Its in US interest to see both fail.But now with China money that's not going to happen . All that effort has gone to waste.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Hamid Ansari our Ex-VP was the link between Iran & India during congi time.

These sort of events also happened during that period.

If cost of a relationship is undermining our own security establishment & interests, is it worth it?

Congress is preferred by world powers , because it took very little to persuade them to act against India’s long term interests.

Kumata

Country flag
You cant blame Modi for Trump's actions.We cant afford pissing of US.

US has been squeezing Iran and Syria for some time now.

Its in US interest to see both fail.But now with China money that's not going to happen . All that effort has gone to waste.
Well.. with economic squeeze on china.. they cannot keep leechers like porkland and now iran for too long.....remember their manufacturing industries will start suffering and real effect will start seeing in another 2-3 years as companies move out of china....it have started already....

they have already lost hugely in BRI and that will increase only...

LDev

Country flag
The possible scenario's of Rafale's Vs J 20'S in BVRAAM's Secnario's

Its ECCM advantage is that it has a two-way data-link that can keep it guided by the Rafael.
The F3 standard Rafale that India is getting has a one way data link with the Meteor. The F4 standard will incorporate the 2 way data link among other improvements.The contract for development to the F4 standard was issued in 2019 and will be completed by 2024. At that stage India will have to decide whether it wants to upgrade IAF Rafales to the F4 standard, at a cost of course.

The Saab Gripen E with the Selex Raven AESA radar has a 2 way data link capability with the Meteor.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
These IAF Apaches being shown in news channels are based in Leh isn’t it?

Leh airport is roughly at 10,000 feet altitude. Does anyone know previous instances of apaches being deployed by any other airforce at 10000 feet altitude or higher in recent memory?

Sanglamorre

Country flag
These IAF Apaches being shown in news channels are based in Leh isn’t it?

Leh airport is roughly at 10,000 feet altitude. Does anyone know previous instances of apaches being deployed by any other airforce at 10000 feet altitude or higher in recent memory?
No battlefield USA or its allies have been part of is that high.

garg_bharat

Country flag
You cannot get everything. As I said before, Iran and Israel do not go together. If we want Israel, Iran is not possible.

Life is about choices.

India is not an enemy of Iran. And likely Iran is not an enemy of India. But one cannot say that we are friends.

Shia population of India is fine and will stay fine.

India tried NAM which failed. Then India tried neutrality which failed. The neutrality put India in a military disadvantage. Now we are trying to align with the West. This experiment is yet to fail. We shall see.

nick_indian

Country flag
You cannot get everything. As I said before, Iran and Israel do not go together. If we want Israel, Iran is not possible.

Life is about choices.

India is not an enemy of Iran. And likely Iran is not an enemy of India. But one cannot say that we are friends.

Shia population of India is fine and will stay fine.

India tried NAM which failed. Then India tried neutrality which failed. The neutrality put India in a military disadvantage. Now we are trying to align with the West. This experiment is yet to fail. We shall see.
Don't disagree with you at all.

My limited point is that our alliance with the West should be limited to containment of the CCP in China. Both parties gain from that.

It should not affect our relations with Russia or Iran. We have to maintain that balance. I believe it is doable if we are smart enough. We were doing it fairly well till a few years ago. Losing Iran and thereby Afghanistan and Balochistan creates massive security implications for India.

garg_bharat

Country flag
There is an active though shadow war going on between USA/Israel and Iran as we speak.

Since this war is mostly below the radar, it is easy to ignore. But it is as vicious as any other war.

There are still American soldiers in Syria and Iraq. And they are there for a single purpose to limit Iran's influence.

garg_bharat

Country flag
Don't disagree with you at all.

My limited point is that our alliance with the West should be limited to containment of the CCP in China. Both parties gain from that.

It should not affect our relations with Russia or Iran. We have to maintain that balance. I believe it is doable if we are smart enough. We were doing it fairly well till a few years ago. Losing Iran and thereby Afghanistan and Balochistan creates massive security implications for India.
Russians want to be friends with India, despite American pressure on Russia. However this friendship is more cultural and long term. I see Russia as continuing to be a friend.

The situation with Iran is complicated. China wants a major influence in the Muslim world. China has already made major inroads in many Muslim countries. Iran has fallen prey to Chinese scheme.

The world is now divided into two camps - democracies and autocracies. All autocracies are aligning with China. All democracies are aligning with USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles