India-China 2020 Border Dispute - Military and Strategic Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

captscooby81

Country flag
This may be more to do with economic slowdown with current pandemic lockdown once country opens up fully i think imports from china will start going up again . Demand is less now so less imports also traders might be worried importing chinese stuff and getting stuck later if public starts boycott then they will be the loosers .

What should really matters is how much of these imports we are going to replace domestically which is when the real game starts .

Electronics import from china i am seeing no other second options for india right now who is going to replace china to fill that gap ?

It's a good thing that deficit has decreased but I guess this is the best we could do. But brace yourself for retaliation from China our 16.6 bn$ export will also take a hit.

Bhurki

Yep I still see labour class buying Chinese phones coz they can only afford them. With Economy already in doldrums, I don't see govt. will give any chance to increase inflation.
There are only a few areas where we can actually decrease our dependence on them & that we have already done.
I was reading somewhere that Chinese Tencent has 50 million $ investment in Indian Byju.
In pharma sector we export them raw material & import APIs which we use in HCQ tablets.
We need to appreciate the steps that GOI is taking on economic front but there is a limit to it that they can go.
I always believe key to hurt China is always in geopolitics.
Making those APIs is no rocket science, but it requires quite a bit of investment on part of corporates.

All the people that criticize China for making 'cheap and simple' things need to understand that it is the first step in organizing workforce, starting up industries that start that industrial age.
In 1920-40, german quality was seen as crap as they copied British etc designs blindly to somehow get the foot in the door.
Japan and SoKo faced it in 1960-80 by producing cheap electronics and cars.
China went through the same in 1990-2010 pumping out plastics and low level household machinery.

This is a vital step to atleast get the ball rolling.
Once your populous learns to make stuff, you can gradually increase the complexity of the product, which is the transition they've been in since 2010.

The key is quite simple at face value but really hard to implement, Give the people something to do and the means to do it while encouraging more people to get into workforce.
Economy is everything, literally, figuratively and whatever other way you want to understand.
Creating submarines, aircraft, SC chips all first require a metal foundry. Implement that or forever play the catchup game.

Last edited:

Bhurki

This may be more to do with economic slowdown with current pandemic lockdown once country opens up fully i think imports from china will start going up again . Demand is less now so less imports also traders might be worried importing chinese stuff and getting stuck later if public starts boycott then they will be the loosers .

What should really matters is how much of these imports we are going to replace domestically which is when the real game starts .

Electronics import from china i am seeing no other second options for india right now who is going to replace china to fill that gap ?
Ofcourse its all to do with economic slowdown.

People celebrating the import slowdown with China seem to be at the same perception level as pakistanis getting happy about their decreasing import bill.

It just signifies that your demand has died out. Theres not a whole lot to be happy about that. Infact, its often used as an indicator for growth.

But again, India media knows people don't read beyond headline and the bullet points so they're happy printing about it.

johnq

Economic retaliation will definitely work if carried out in a coordinated manner.

Many Chinese companies are in huge debt and they have excess capacity. If their export revenue dries up , then their profit will vanish and they would find it very difficult to pay back their debt.
Chinese economy of scale won't work if their products start getting banned from major economies.
It will not only have an immediate impact if India stops Chinese imports, but it would also end all of China's future plans in India, as Indian companies replace the gaps from the ban. In the long run it will help India become a bigger economic powerhouse. It may also trigger a domino effect (as in the case of the TikTok ban) with other countries also freeing themselves from dependance on Chinese products. They have already become wary of overdependance on China after contracting Covid from China. A global economic divorce from China would destroy all of China's future global domination plans. And if the Chinese economy is severely damaged, it could trigger a revolution and the destruction of the CCP.:devil:

fire starter

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Ofcourse its all to do with economic slowdown.

People celebrating the import slowdown with China seem to be at the same perception level as pakistanis getting happy about their decreasing import bill.

It just signifies that your demand has died out. Theres not a whole lot to be happy about that. Infact, its often used as an indicator for growth.

But again, India media knows people don't read beyond headline and the bullet points so they're happy printing about it.
well demand has surely slowed down but now it's catching up the main reason behind fell in Chinese imports is border dispute . Now traders are not ordering Chinese goods in fear of getting banned recent ex is rakshabandhan where 500 million dollar worth Chinese rakhi were boycotted.

Sehwag213

Country flag
well demand has surely slowed down but now it's catching up the main reason behind fell in Chinese imports is border dispute . Now traders are not ordering Chinese goods in fear of getting banned recent ex is rakshabandhan where 500 million dollar worth Chinese rakhi were boycotted.
In 2 months , festival season is coming. So we will know by then whether boycott had any impact or not.

garg_bharat

Country flag
Most consumers have a defined budget.
Going out of that budget is impossible for many businesses and consumers. They can't spend 20% extra just on a whim.
Also Indian brands haven't exactly tried to make their mark on quality. The low quality Chinese components that you talk about come at high discounts as compared to rivals.
If you pay the same as rivals, then quality picks up considerably. Eg. Iphones from China.
Your argument is wrong. My old bajaj motorcycle has better quality than new bajaj motorcycle, the only difference being that new one has more Chinese parts.

If lot of cheap parts are available, a trader tends to pick the cheapest one to stand in the competition. Nobody cares about quality.

Ultimately consumer pays for bad quality. India lacks consumer protection.

If government puts curbs on low quality parts, these will go out of system.

Your argument about budget is wrong. People always want to pay for good quality. They may be lured by a cheap one but regret that decision later.

Sehwag213

Country flag
US is a "guarantor" to India that Pakistan will not interfere in China-India. Their ulterior motive is to keep India away from G-B at all costs.

So expect no action on the Pakistan front beyond some Pulwama-level event being responded to by a Balakot-level retaliation.

On the other hand, if India can prove to the US that Pakistan has grand 2-front plans, then the US has no option but to coerce Pakistan or let India take some parts of PoK.

So other than some intel coordination with China, pakis will largely sit this one out, because that's the smart thing to do.
Well then US needs to change their opinion

20200810_154145.jpg

Sanglamorre

Country flag
Will XI agree to Doklam 2.0. I don't think so. Will modi make any concessions to the territory. Highly unlikely. However I expect some sort of Deal to happen in SCO & BRICS between Xi & Modi.
Yes. All bans will be reversed and China can invest heavily in India. As a part of the deal, Modi will become brand ambassador of Import from China. The metal used in medals of all Indian soldiers henceforth killed by China and Pak will come exclusively from China. In fact to sweeten the deal, there will be a friendship monument in Galwan as an ode to the "misunderstandings" that can cause tragedies. To stop a repeat, India will sign an agreement called Jhula agreement (while Modi and Xi swing on the Jhula and say sweet nothings) were IA is required to pull back whenever they see Chinese, as a show of athiti devo bhava. What's ours is theirs, what's theirs is also theirs.

cereal killer

Country flag
Yes. All bans will be reversed and China can invest heavily in India. As a part of the deal, Modi will become brand ambassador of Import from China. The metal used in medals of all Indian soldiers henceforth killed by China and Pak will come exclusively from China. In fact to sweeten the deal, there will be a friendship monument in Galwan as an ode to the "misunderstandings" that can cause tragedies. To stop a repeat, India will sign an agreement called Jhula agreement (while Modi and Xi swing on the Jhula and say sweet nothings) were IA is required to pull back whenever they see Chinese, as a show of athiti devo bhava. What's ours is theirs, what's theirs is also theirs.
:yo::yo::yo::clap2:
This is some imagination. What makes you think that any sorta deal will only favour China not India? Australia has not yet joined Malabar & that might be just the card we use with China. Keep Australia out of Malabar & tone it down on SCS Xinjiang, Hong Kong & you move back to status quo.
Both Xi & Modi will proclaim this as win win. That's my imagination btw:playball:

prasadr14

PrasadReddy
You should write novels, seem to have a knack for it.

Sanglamorre

Country flag
You should write novels, seem to have a knack for it.
I do actually write novels when I can find the time, had lots of readers too :p

But, while this is an exaggeration, it's not without basis. The biggest, and only harm to China by India has been dealt on economy front. They will want to reverse that.

After the Malappuram-Wuham meets, Chinese investment in India increased.

During DeMo, Modi and GoI shilled PayTM app, which has sizeable Chinese investment.

But my main point is, no matter what the deal is being cut, it will include reverses on economic measures, and a deal, any deal with the Chinese is dishonouring the dead; of Galwan, and Corona. That is inexcusable.

Sanglamorre

Country flag
:yo::yo::yo::clap2:
This is some imagination. What makes you think that any sorta deal will only favour China not India? Australia has not yet joined Malabar & that might be just the card we use with China. Keep Australia out of Malabar & tone it down on SCS Xinjiang, Hong Kong & you move back to status quo.
Both Xi & Modi will proclaim this as win win. That's my imagination btw:playball:
What exactly has India to offer China? Unless we're going to accept status quo with a new Modi Line. Any harm to image has already been done via Galwan. Any economic measures have been taken by us. So an offer can only be reverses to our position.

Keeping Australia out of Quad will be disastrous for us, but I understand what you're saying. Who will tone it down on SCS, HK, Xinjiang? We haven't been speaking on them much in the first place. We can't control anyone else speaking on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles