India cancels new UN peacekeeping mission in Congo over scandal

Country flag
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-03/09/content_10975745.htm

India cancels new UN peacekeeping mission in Congo over scandal
www.chinaview.cn 2009-03-09 13:27:56

NEW DELHI, March 9 (Xinhua) -- India has canceled a new UN peacekeeping deployment plan in the Democratic Republic of Congo due to a scandal of sexual abuse by Indian troops in that country, said a local newspaper The Asian Age on Sunday.

The Indian Air Force has canceled the deployment of a contingent to the Democratic Republic of Congo as UN peacekeepers, several months after international media reports said Congo and UN authorities were not keen on new deployment of Indian troops due to complaints of sexual abuse of local women, including child abuse, by some Indian Army personnel there, said the report.

After the complaints were made, Indian Defense Minister A.K. Antony has reportedly ordered the military to undertake a thorough investigation. But no result of any such investigation has come out yet.

"About 200 Indian Air Force personnel who had assembled in New Delhi for the assignment were asked to disperse after the new assignment was canceled," the report quoted unnamed sources of the air force as saying.

The Indian Air Force has now three contingents in the Democratic Republic of Congo and another in Sudan on UN peacekeeping missions.

The UN Secretary-General Pan Ki-moon has urged India to take "disciplinary action to the maximum degree permitted by Indian law" against those involved in the sexual abuse scandal.

screwterrorists

Founding Member
Embarrassing yes. But its more than that. its troubling.

The soldiers always looked upon as role models whether its in India, Pakistan, USA, etc. With role models like these, I wonder where we as a society are headed.
Personally, I don't want sexual offenders protecting the borders. <-Some may disagree.

ST

Rage

DFI TEAM
Embarrassing yes. But its more than that. its troubling.

The soldiers always looked upon as role models whether its in India, Pakistan, USA, etc. With role models like these, I wonder where we as a society are headed.
Personally, I don't want sexual offenders protecting the borders. <-Some may disagree.

ST
You hit the nail right on the head.

Officers found guilty of abuse ought to be court-martialled, stripped off all their gallantry, and sentenced to the maximum tenure of 7 years imprisonment under Sections 171 and 172 of the Air Force Act.

...Or better still, just hang the buggers.

screwterrorists

Founding Member
Thanks. I agree with your imprisonment case.
But in all seriousness, the death penalty is too extreme.

Btw, side note: impressive knowledge of the legal system; if those sections are correct.

ShyAngel

Founding Member
Weird!

Where did this happened? What a turn off!
:(

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles