India blocks visits by US officials despite warmer ties

Aravind Sanjeev

WASHINGTON/NEW DELHI: Despite a much-heralded fresh start in US-India ties under Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, a diplomatic source said on Friday the United States has run into problems arranging visits by two senior officials, recalling a diplomatic spat that soured relations two years ago.

Washington has been seeking to send Susan Coppedge, its newly appointed anti-people trafficking ambassador, and Randy Berry, its special envoy for LGBT rights, to New Delhi this month.
< ..

Read more at:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...ofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst

Why do they want to conduct unilateral assessment anyway?

pmaitra

Ah, Modi has seen whatever happened in Ukraine, and has blocked all these cookie-girl activist types.

All power to Modi.

@Razor, I think you will love this.

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
Randy Berry, its special envoy for LGBT rights(??!!),
:rofl:
Right kind of name for that kind of a person.
Hope these folks are never allowed to set foot on this land, not even in Tourist visa. Corruptors of society.
Kudos to MEA and whoever is in charge of the whole thing!

thethinker

Country flag
:lol: Well played GoI.

From the same article :

India's Foreign Ministry did not respond to request for comment and Indian Ambassador Arun K. Singh did not offer clarification when asked on Thursday about Coppedge's plan to visit, which was revealed at a Nov. 4 congressional hearing by Kari Johnstone, principal deputy director of the State Department's trafficking office.

"We'll see," Singh told reporters. "When you ask a US official when somebody will be given a visa, they always say 'we will assess when visa is applied for.' ... I can do no better than to reiterate the US position."

Aravind Sanjeev

:lol: Well played GoI.

"We'll see," Singh told reporters. "When you ask a US official when somebody will be given a visa, they always say 'we will assess when visa is applied for.' ... I can do no better than to reiterate the US position."
Well my favorite line from the article yet.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
My favourite line from the article..

India was happy to work in an international framework to tackle the problem of trafficking, but rejected "unilateral assessments" of another country," he said.

:balleballe::india::rofl:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles