India blocked NKorean plane at US request: US Lawmaker

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
WASHINGTON: India at the request of the United States had blocked its air space to a North Korean plane allegedly delivering illicit cargo to
Iran last year forcing it to turn back," a US lawmaker has said.

"Last August, India responded to a US request and blocked its airspace to a North Korean plane delivering illicit cargo to Iran. That plane had to turn back," Congressman Ed Royce said during a Congressional hearing on North Korea.

The Asia, the Pacific and the Global Environment Subcommittee and the Terrorism, Nonproliferation and Trade Subcommittee of the House Foreign Affairs Committee held a joint hearing on "North Korea's Nuclear and Missile Tests and the Six Party Talks: Where do we go from here?"

Royce said North Korean proliferation to Middle East certainly heightens concerns. Pyongyang's cooperation with states such as Iran and Syria is very, very well documented, he said.

"North Korean proliferation makes proposals to cap its nuclear programme a non-starter. While diplomacy dithers, we need to be bolstering our defenses against North Korean proliferation," he said.

India blocked NKorean plane at US request: US Lawmaker- Politics/Nation-News-The Economic Times

luckyy

last year iran has also blocked our SU-30MKI flying to US to take part in red flag excercise.....

peacecracker

Israel can be a good ally for India rather than iran.anyways ,the oil pipeline project was jinxed successfully by pakistan. :p Israel suffers from palestine terrorists and we,suffer from foreign jehad terror and indoctrination of hate in kashmir(and other ghettos).

Arjak

Respected Member
Country flag
This is not right........Iran is a strategic partner of india,and N-korea hasn't posed any national threat to us in any way........we sdn't reply to any of this yankee dictation,or they will try to ride our back in the future.......with increasing aids to pak,obama talking of not investing in b'lore it will be bs from our part,if we still act like this in the future.

NikSha

This is not right........Iran is a strategic partner of india,and N-korea hasn't posed any national threat to us in any way........we sdn't reply to any of this yankee dictation,or they will try to ride our back in the future.......with increasing aids to pak,obama talking of not investing in b'lore it will be bs from our part,if we still act like this in the future.
So.. you want our airspace to be used for illegal activities if a country hasn't posed a threat to us? That's kinda.. well..

Also, Iran isn't a strategic partner for us anymore (well, not the ONLY). Not to mention the fact that Iran is in no position to make an enemy out of India.. ever. Aid to Pakistan is coming with conditions, how they implement them is their own problem. Obama talking crap about Banglore won't change all anti-India hatred in US about Indians taking their jobs anyway. Companies are already busy opposing his laws to cripple outsourcing over there so Obama can talk all he wants.

Anyways, North Korea is a threat to everyone the way she is going, like Pakistan. Just cause it doesn't threaten us, it doesn't mean we burry our heads in sand and wait for the world to goto hell. It doesn't work that way (BTW, cause of US we got nuke deal to recent load at ADB, you really want to piss them off for NK and Iran?).

A.V.

iran is one of the indian allied states it provides access to the land-locked central asia and also to afganistan india has invested deeply and has strategic aspects in iran including the chabahar port and the rail links to tehran
last year vote in the UN did sour things a bit but it had more to do with the nuclear deal but its high time india shows some character and come out strongly against some of the recent remarks and move that obama administration has taken the only hindrance could be israel,s view on this as india-israel relations are at a very crucial juncture

Arjak

Respected Member
Country flag
Ok,everything is allright but i dont like this 'america' part here.......apart from the highly modified nuclear deal(with speculations of more modifications under obama),the obama administration has done nothing for the wellbeing of india,furthur they have double pak's aid,and are giving all kind of weapons to pak,which are in no sane way needed to fight against taliban......

peacecracker

Leaving iran for Isreal:

India is doing a great effort managing good relations with Iran alongside with israel.There are many "beneficiaries" inside India ,who dislikes Israel(anti-jew) mentality.We have witnessed protests(when ariel sharon visited india) from them already.

Still ,Israel can be a very good friend for India against the enemies surrounding India.the Last Satellite Launch of India too Carried "Something" India owes to Israel.
Anti-Jew is a phobia we can find in middle-east to pakistan to Indonesia.That does not Mean India should back out from friendship with Israel.They can be a Good(proven?) ally ,especially in Military Technologies ,Mossad and more ;)

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
dprk might not be a direct threat to india but then it will be good to reflect on the fact that they were instrumental in passing on the missile technology to the pakistanis which directly poses threat to us and there are reports that north korea is again ready to play game again with the pakistanis which will again hurt our interests for some cash. so if we treat prc as a threat for passing on military stuff to pak then dprk is certainly in the same league.

as far as our relations with the israelis and iranians go, well both need to be balanced as has been done in the past. what is more important is that our national interests are kept in mind and both these countries are engaged side by side. there are things to be gained from both these countries and it will be foolish to completely side with anyone of them, as it is when it comes to negotiations with either of them the other country can be used as a negotiating tool to extract the maximum to our advantage.

johnee

Why cant we befriend NaKo? Is there no benefits of 'friendship' with NaKo?

A.V.

india being a responsible world power and having visions to have a wider say in world matters and in world forums like the UN it would be highly unwise to befriend a volatile and proliferating state like north-korea its of no interest to india considering the majority of the world powers consider it to be a rogue

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
I dont think that the IRI has any problems with us getting cozy with israle or the US for that matter and our diplomats might have explained every thing to them

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
india being a responsible world power and having visions to have a wider say in world matters and in world forums like the UN it would be highly unwise to befriend a volatile and proliferating state like north-korea its of no interest to india considering the majority of the world powers consider it to be a rogue
i think the problem is prc and dprk is more of a prc playground from where prc furthers its regional and global agenda and then there is a common factor of communism in both the countries which helps both these countries align their interests and that country is like pakistan which is more or less bought by the chinese. given this i doubt prc would ever let india have its say in that country. invi, i would tend to differ on the last post you made because india is pursing its interests through iran and burma no matter what the outside world thinks.

johnee

Yes, I understand that DPRK is PRC puppet, I am also aware that NaKo is friendly with Pak. This is one of the reason why I want India to explore ways in which to befriend NaKo, so that we can deny PRC one of their vital puppets.
Denying enemy a gain is also a gain. As for friendship with NaKo tarnishing the image, I wont buy it.
I will also not buy the theory that NaKo and PRC being communist cements their relationship and India cant be friendly with NaKo since we are democracy. I think in realpolitik such things hardly matter.
So, the real question is can India is anyway lure NaKo, would we have any benefits with having a 'friend' like NaKo?

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Yes, I understand that DPRK is PRC puppet, I am also aware that NaKo is friendly with Pak. This is one of the reason why I want India to explore ways in which to befriend NaKo, so that we can deny PRC one of their vital puppets.
Denying enemy a gain is also a gain. As for friendship with NaKo tarnishing the image, I wont buy it.
I will also not buy the theory that NaKo and PRC being communist cements their relationship and India cant be friendly with NaKo since we are democracy. I think in realpolitik such things hardly matter.
So, the real question is can India is anyway lure NaKo, would we have any benefits with having a 'friend' like NaKo?
Making friendship with NaKo is like making friendship with monkey. We have zero use of NoKo, it doesn't bring anything to table apart from negative effects of being associated with a rogue nation.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
last year iran has also blocked our SU-30MKI flying to US to take part in red flag excercise.....
yes that is correct, and wouldn't India ban american jets flying over India to train with Pak AF for eg ?

Israel can be a good ally for India rather than iran.
anyways ,the oil pipeline project was jinxed successfully by pakistan. :p
Israel suffers from palestine terrorists and we,suffer from foreign jehad terror and indoctrination of hate in kashmir(and other ghettos).
why ?
how ?
so ?

This is not right........Iran is a strategic partner of india,
and N-korea hasn't posed any national threat to us in any way........
we sdn't reply to any of this yankee dictation,or they will try to ride our back in the future.......
with increasing aids to pak,obama talking of not investing in b'lore it will be bs from our part,if we still act like this in the future.
Iran is not actually a strategic partner of India, both of us voted for sanctions against each other for eg.

NK supplies Pak with Ballistic missiles for eg.

Stopping a craft carrying illicit weapons is a duty of any responsible nation.

aid is to keep pak afloat, stopping investments in blore is to keep US afloat.

InViNCiBlE;29456[B said:
]last year vote in the UN did sour things a bit but it had more to do with the nuclear deal[/B]
India voted for sanctions in '05, as per our Foreign Policy.
India later abstained in '06 when US said that if India didn't vote against Iran the nuclear deal would be jeopardised.
Iran voted for sanctions against India after the Pokhran-2 blasts

but its high time india shows some character and come out strongly against some of the recent remarks and move that obama administration has taken the only hindrance could be israel,s view on this as india-israel relations are at a very crucial juncture
Manmohan Singh has time and again professed that Iran has a right to peaceful nuclear programme, and India has always been in favour of a Palestinian state.

Ok,everything is allright but i dont like this 'america' part here.......apart from the highly modified nuclear deal(with speculations of more modifications under obama),the obama administration has done nothing for the wellbeing of india,furthur they have double pak's aid,and are giving all kind of weapons to pak,which are in no sane way needed to fight against taliban......
India doesn't depend on US for its wellbeing, Pak will collapse if not more US aid. Nuclear deal is a move to get a rising India on friendly terms with US, aid to Pak is blood money in return for finishing of anti-american forces in Pak.

Leaving iran for Isreal:

India is doing a great effort managing good relations with Iran alongside with israel.There are many "beneficiaries" inside India ,who dislikes Israel(anti-jew) mentality.We have witnessed protests(when ariel sharon visited india) from them already.
Most of those protesting against Israel are the ones who have sympathy for palestinians and/or against the zionist movement. Even Gandhiji iirc spoke out against Zionism. (Zionism - ideology behind the creation of Israel)

Still ,Israel can be a very good friend for India against the enemies surrounding India.the Last Satellite Launch of India too Carried "Something" India owes to Israel.
I believe the satellite India launched was a payment for satellite launch.

Anti-Jew is a phobia we can find in middle-east to pakistan to Indonesia.That does not Mean India should back out from friendship with Israel.They can be a Good(proven?) ally ,especially in Military Technologies ,Mossad and more ;)
India-Israel relations have only grown stronger and Israeli agro-tech, scientific advancements, tourism is already benefitting India.

None unless if Indians revel in opprobrium.

kuku

Respected Member
Country flag
We must remember that we are a responsible nation, and that these things come back to bite one in ones ass.
There have been many interdictions of WMD transfer by sea, as highlighted by the interception of North Korean ship Ku Wol San in 1999 by the Indian authorities off Kandla Port. The vessel was reportedly carrying missile parts for Pakistan and beyond.
Maritime terrorism and lessons for India
Capt. U. K. Thapa
http://www.indiannavy.gov.in/NavDespatch06/Chapter 1.pdf

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
i doubt dprk is a completely lost case. if they were to be brought to the negotiating table given the fact that they have supported pakistan on the designing their missiles and probably there is more to this relationship which in the end directly effects us indians, then we are at least able to cut off one of the supply lines of pak from where it is able to directly threaten us.

the other issue is that they are a neighbor of prc and if we can get them to listen to our concerns and in the bargain we address a few of their issues, prc for one will be a sure shot worried lot as this will be poaching on a long trusted stooge of the prc and this could be used as counter to prc's strategy of “string of pearls”, and i am sure the chinese will feel the heat of indian diplomacy which is much needed given their rather aggressive posturing to any issue related to arunachal pradesh.

it is not as if we have not done the same in the past, burma is a case worth a mention here which once had become a sanctuary to all terror outfits in the northeast and that was the time when like dprk, burma was a complete playground for the chinese and completely anti india but not any more and that was the time we were not talking to the burmese.

we have to rise up to these challenges and if we can not befriend them, then at least we should make it sure that they do not pose any direct or indirect threat to us. dprk is a country which gets a high on cash which is like oxygen for them, then it is military hardware that gets them going and last of all daily need supplies, may be we would not like to flirt with them on the military equipment issue but daily supply needs along with cash chipped in can certainly make them listen to our concerns and also leave a dent on the diplomacy of the prc.

we should not completely write off the foreign policy adopted by the chinese since the last decade or so, in fact there is a lot to learn from them and it would be good if we could give them a taste of their own medicine by infiltrating into their long standing stooge. mind you after the british, it is the chinese now who have made the world understand the importance of africa to the world.

the only thing that needs to be weighed in is that how adverse an effect will it have on our relations with countries which would be averse to such a relationship and are friendly to us but if we are able to make them understand our concerns, satisfactorily address their concerns and explain why we would like to engage dprk then this country will be a certain feather in the hat of indian diplomacy.

johnee

Guruji,
that exactly wat I was trying to say. I couldnt have said it any better. Thanx.

Also, I think the other point you make is extremely important. We should not underestimate the Chinese diplomacy. It has worked very well. We can certainly learn a lot from them. First thing that we need to remember is that the present global rules are framed by US(since it is the sole superpower) and obviously working within those rules, we cant rise above a certain level. Since, those rules are framed in such a way that no one threatens US' position. We would obviously at some point have to flout the rules. Nations that are described as 'rogue' by US dont necessarily have to be rogue to us. We need to chart our own course just like the Chinese did. I have great admiration for what China achieved, but I think we can do one better(that is not lose our democracy when aiming for being a developed nation or even superpower).

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles