India baiter Robin Raphel under counter intel investigation

Free Karma

U.S. diplomat and longtime Pakistan expert is under federal investigation - The Washington Post

A veteran State Department diplomat and longtime Pakistan expert is under federal investigation as part of a counterintelligence probe and has had her security clearances withdrawn, according to U.S. officials.

The FBI searched the Northwest Washington home of Robin L. Raphel last month, and her State Department office was also examined and sealed, officials said. Raphel, a fixture in Washington's diplomatic and think-tank circles, was placed on administrative leave last month, and her contract with the State Department was allowed to expire this week.

Two U.S. officials described the investigation as a counterintelligence matter, which typically involves allegations of spying on behalf of foreign governments. The exact nature of the investigation involving Raphel remains unclear. She has not been charged.

A spokesman for Raphel said she was cooperating with investigators but has not been told the "scope or nature or that she is the target" of any probe.

U.S. officials spoke on the condition of anonymity because the investigation is ongoing. Spokesmen with the FBI and the Justice Department's National Security Division declined to comment.

Details of federal counterintelligence investigations are typically closely held and the cases can span years. Although Raphel has spent much of her career on Pakistan issues, it was unknown whether the investigation, being run by the FBI's Washington Field Office, was related to her work with that country.

"We are aware of this law enforcement matter," State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said. "The State Department has been cooperating with our law enforcement colleagues."

"She is no longer employed by the State Department," Psaki said.

Raphel did not respond to attempts to reach her by phone and e-mail. Her daughter also declined to comment, instead referring questions to a family spokesman.

The spokesman, Andrew Rice, said Raphel's security clearances were put on hold last month and that she is no longer employed by the State Department.

"She is aware and can confirm there is some kind of investigation," he said.

Rice declined to say whether Raphel had hired a lawyer and refused to answer questions about her whereabouts.

U.S. officials acknowledged that the FBI conducted a search at Raphel's home Oct. 21 but would not provide details of the search. Agents removed bags and boxes from the home, but it is not clear what was seized there or at her office.

At the State Department, Raphel's office remained dark and locked Thursday.

At the time of the raid, Raphel was a senior adviser on Pakistan for the office of the special representative on Afghanistan and Pakistan. In that job, she was chiefly responsible for administering nonmilitary aid such as U.S. economic grants and incentives.

The 67-year-old longtime diplomat was among the U.S. government's most senior advisers on Pakistan and South Asian issues. She is a former assistant secretary of state for South Asia and a former ambassador to Tunisia. At the time of the FBI search of her house, she had retired from the Foreign Service but was working for the State Department on renewable, limited contracts that depended in part on her security clearances.

As a prominent woman among a generation of mostly male diplomats and the former wife of a storied U.S. ambassador, Arnold Raphel, she was among the most recognizable State Department officials and a well-liked and often outspoken career diplomat.

Arnold Raphel was U.S. ambassador to Pakistan when he was killed aboard a plane carrying then-Pakistani President Mohammed Zia ul-Haq in 1988. The cause of the mysterious plane crash has never been proved, but the crash is widely assumed to have been an assassination of the military dictator.

Robin Raphel was divorced from Arnold Raphel when he died. She was then a State Department political officer serving in South Africa but had spent earlier portions of her career in Pakistan. She was also posted in Washington, Britain, India and elsewhere. In 1993, then-President Bill Clinton named her as the first assistant secretary of state for South and Central Asian affairs.

Raphel began her government career as a CIA analyst, according to a State Department biography. She served 30 years in the Foreign Service and retired from the State Department in 2005. She returned to the State Department in 2009 to work as an adviser to Richard Holbrooke, who had been named by then-Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton to the new post of special representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan.

Prior to returning to the State Department, Raphel worked as a lobbyist for Cassidy & Associates, a Washington-based government relations firm. She represented Pakistan, Equatorial Guinea and Iraq's Kurdistan Regional Government, according to federal disclosure forms.

A spokesman for Cassidy said the firm had not been contacted by the U.S. government about Raphel and was unaware of any investigation related to its former employee.

Espionage cases involving State Department officials are relatively rare. In the last major case, a former State Department official, Walter Kendall Myers, was sentenced in 2010 to life in prison after he and his wife, Gwendolyn Steingraber Myers, were convicted on charges of spying for Cuba over three decades. She received nearly seven years in prison.

The pair provided "highly classified U.S. national defense information" to Cuba, according to the Justice Department.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
One should also check on the romantic angle with some high ranking Pakistanis that might have encouraged her after her husband perished.

I watched NCIS on AXN and so things like that can happen! :rofl:

tramp

Her biography must be fit for a Bollywood spy thriller...........!

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Anyone watching Homeland ?

Pakistan Ambassador's Husband is spying for ISI in it. Real World meets Reel World.

Reactions: sob

Hari Sud

Country flag
Robyn Raphael together Dr. Maleeha Lodhi former Pakistani Ambassdor to Washington cooked up a huge anti indian feelings in The State Department. They pretended to be inseparable friends, infact now we know that at Maleeha Lodhi's instant Robyn had turned into a spy (it is alleged). President Clinton leant an ear to Robyn, who all along PM Narsimha Rao's tenure was needling him. So much so that Robyn managed to persuade Clinton to keep the Kashmir issue burning at the international forums. To everybody's surprise Robyn picked up friendship with Hillary Clinton. Robyn mislead Hillary as much as she could. Even after Robyn was gone from the State Department, she kept in touch with Maleeha as well as other Pakistani diplomats. It kept going till until last month when the investigation of Robyn's extraordinary interst in Pakistani affairs and aid package drew a bit of attention. Investigation lead from one revelation to other until last month all hell broke loose. Her credentials were revoked. If things get hit she would be arrested.
The point here that there is a huge anti Indian lobby in The State Department. Hillary Clinton, although smiles at you but stabs you in the back. Latest she heads that lobby. Her four years as Secretary of State were the worst for India. All this because people like Robyn have been misleading her for the last twenty years.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Anyone watching Homeland ?

Pakistan Ambassador's Husband is spying for ISI in it. Real World meets Reel World.
Latest season of homeland is interesting because it more or less confirms my theory, we will have to wait and see if the plot continues on the same path.

My theory is that american government before going for the kill they ensure that american public opinion is on their side. public opinion is required on their side to fund the campaign. They ensure there is a constant stream of information which indirectly ensures a negative opinion is formed regarding a particular country. First this information campaign starts as a trickle with some articles here and there and then their frequency increases with movies , television serials and documentaries. First gulf war was a good example, campaign against Iran is another good example.
More often than not they are successful in the planned ones. unfortunately they react very bad to surprises, examples are 9/11 and ISIS.

sydsnyper

Country flag
The love angle is quite a possibility, mix it up with pity for the suffering pakis... and you got a highly motivated anti-india lobbyist....

A second possibility is this - I have always wondered where all the double digit billions of dollars have disappeared that were sent to paki land during the WoT, add to it the profits from the paki engineered heroin and arms trade in afghanistan and you will be able to make out massive amounts of money that the ISI/Army had at the disposal of their free will. Only a fraction of it went to be used for anything of consequence and a rather big slice may have been consumed by the corrupt military heads.

This still leaves a lot of american dollars the pakis could use to pay for lobbyists, who in turn helped them get more aid and maintained a certain level of anti-India stance in the US.

One should also check on the romantic angle with some high ranking Pakistanis that might have encouraged her after her husband perished.

I watched NCIS on AXN and so things like that can happen! :rofl:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The woman is poison ivy.

Shirman

Country flag
Veteran US Diplomat Robin L Raphel encouraged creation of Hurriyat Conference in Kashmir

Read more at:
Veteran US Diplomat Robin L Raphel encouraged creation of Hurriyat Conference in Kashmir - The Economic Times

NEW DELHI: Veteran US Diplomat and Pakistan expert Robin L Raphel, whose is currently being probed on espionage charges by American security agencies, encouraged creation of separatist Hurriyat Conference in Kashmir and often forced Delhi to hold dialogue with Islamabad even when bilateral ties were low, according to Indian officials who worked with her during the past two decades.

Raphel (67), remained Americas advisor on Pakistan, even after she left US State Department's South Asia Department's South Asia Department in June 1997 and also her retirement. However, it was during the turbulent nineties when insurgency was at it's height in Jammu and Kashmir that Raphel made headlines here as a India baiter.

Government officials, who dealt with Raphel in 1990s and also in past decade but did not wish to named, told ET that she was responsible for creation of Hurriyat Conference in Kashmir in 1993 whereby making them as a stakeholders even as India has always maintained that it was bilateral issue between Delhi and Islamabad.
Indian government officials no doubt are elated in private about the action against Raphel. "This is an interesting development. She has been extremely close to Pakistan. Her links in Kashmir runs deep," remarked a senior Indian official who did not wish to be named.

Another former Indian official who dealt with Raphel in 1990s and also during the decade of 2000, alleged that she was close to all separatist groups in Kashmir. "She went on to question the instrument of succession of J & kwith India and had stated that insurgency in the state was self sustaining. She was also close to Ghulam Mohammed Fai in US, an ISI conduit from Kashmir," the official recalled.

Raphel, former officials said, is known to maintain close links with Yasin Malik, leader of the Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front. Besides, she is close to Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, the most prominent face of Hurriyat Conference. A former official, who was testimony to one such incident told ET that in 2005 Raphel accompanied then US Deputy Chief of Mission in Delhi for a meeting with the Indian government and tried to cajole the government to talk to Mirwaiz. The role of that US Deputy Chief of Mission in this episode also finds a mention in Wikileaks. The Modi government made it clear that it does not consider Hurriyat Conference as a stakeholder after Pakistani High Commissioner met the leaders ahead of the Foreign Secretary level talks.

Earlier when relations between Delhi and Islamabad had touched a low following the attack on Parliament in 2001 and both sides had lowered level of diplomatic engagement, it was Raphel who tried to force India to talk to the Pervez Musharraf government, another official recalled. T "She would go that extra mile for Pakistan often sidestepping our concerns," the official said, adding Raphel remained State Department's Pakistan adviser even after she retired from the State Department.

Few also took notice that Raphel was in Delhi in 2012 at the invitation of then US envoy to Nancy Powell. The former US ambassador, who herself made an unceremonious exit from Delhi this year, introduced Raphel as a personal friend of hers to the some of the officials in Delhi. In fact Powell had fixed meetings of Raphel in Delhi, an official well versed with the developments informed ET.

It was her characterization of Kashmir as "disputed territory", a first in the annals of U.S. diplomacy, made her quick friends in Pakistan. She in fact contributed in internationalising Kashmir issue, much to India's discomfiture. Her stance on Kashmir made her the bane of the Indian establishment that did not favour any interference of outside powers in a domestic matter.Kashmir was raised on the agenda in Bhutto's first state visit to Washington in April 1995.

Kashmir would remain a key topic of regional and bilateral discussions with both India and Pakistan throughout President Bill Clinton's two terms in office. Raphel was also close to Bill Clinton who pulled her out from post of Counsellor she was holding in the US Embassy in Delhi to make her Assistant Secretary of State for South Asia, a former diplomat recalled. She remained one of the most senior adverse of State Department on South Asia and Pakistan and was working with the State Department on renewable contracts. ..

sorcerer

Country flag
Another former Indian official who dealt with Raphel in 1990s and also during the decade of 2000, alleged that she was close to all separatist groups in Kashmir. "She went on to question the instrument of succession of J & kwith India and had stated that insurgency in the state was self sustaining. She was also close to Ghulam Mohammed Fai in US, an ISI conduit from Kashmir," the official recalled.
Seems like she had all wrong connections for a diplomat. In USA's own words would be like "Committing, conspiring and aiding and abetting acts of terrorism" against India.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Raphel and Nancy Powell messed up the Indo US relationships.

Both are skunks.

tramp

No wonder the US continued to misread the AfPak situation and was being hauled over the coals repeatedly.... still not learning a single thing!!

Raphel and Nancy Powell messed up the Indo US relationships.

Both are skunks.

sorcerer

Country flag
No wonder the US continued to misread the AfPak situation and was being hauled over the coals repeatedly.... still not learning a single thing!!
USA knows everything, USA will have other sources than Robin Raphel. They aint that naive. Double standards are USA's default standard.

The actual game is
Robin screwed up her job and USA found the person over whose neck they can hang their 'misreadings' and double plays . Robin became the right candidate. She flew blind, she did mistakes which made her an impressive candidate as the fall guy or gal. She went out of her ways to appease her Pakistan masters.
Now,
Obama found the right individual to offload all their screwups in Pakistan. A nice face saving measure.

Quoting Britney Spears
Robin Raphel 'Got lost in the game' oh baby baby!!!

Of all persons she should have known her fate the moment she deviated from the specifications of her officially entrusted job.

Last edited:

sorcerer

Country flag
I am posting the news content from the link provided in the post above. @dude00720 post #16

US persuaded Pakistan to support Taliban chief Mullah Omar, reveals Hamid Mir

New Delhi: Noted Pakistani TV journalist Hamid Mir has revealed that it was senior US official Robin Raphel, who, in 1995, persuaded the then Pakistan Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto to support Taliban chief Mullah Omar in Afghanistan.

Hamid Mir was speaking at Idea Exchange with Indian Express in News Delhi.

The Pakistani journalist, who has interviewed Mullah Omar once and Al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden thrice in the past described how US persuaded Benazir Bhutto.

"The Taliban movement emerged in Afghanistan in 1994. In 1995, I was travelling with the then PM Benazir Bhutto to the US. Bhutto met ambassador Robin Raphel in New York. We came to know that Raphel asked Bhutto to announce her support to the Afghan Taliban.

"It was very disturbing. I wrote a column from New York that here is the first elected woman PM in the whole Muslim world, the Afghan Taliban are imposing a ban on girls' education, and she had been sked by Robin Raphel, another woman, to announce her support for the Afghan Taliban.

"When we were coming from New York, the PM called me on the plane and said, 'You are criticising me'. I said, 'Yes, this is democracy. I don't like Taliban and you are supporting Taliban at the behest of raphel'. So she asked her Interior Minister to brief me why the taliban are good for Pakistan.

"After a few days, the Interior Minister organised a briefing for me and Nursat Javed, a colleague, and explained that we were using the taliban as the "pipeline police".

"We wanted a gas pipeline from Uzbekistan to Pakistan and there was nobody who could protect it because the government in Kabul, the North Alliance, was supported by the Indians and the Iranians and they might destroy the gas pipeline..I said okay, I would like to meet Mullah Omar. The Interior Minister said okay.

"I met Mullah Omar in Kandahar. When Mullah Omar asked me why I wrote against him, I said because he was supporting the Americans. I said Raphel was supporting him. He asked who is Raphel. I said she is a lady. He said, 'There is no power and no strength save in Allah!. A lady is supporting me!". I was astonished he was not aware Raphel was American.

"Mullah Omar said, 'If I fix your meeting with a big enemy of America, then will you write that I am not an American agent? I asked who is that enemy. He said Osama bin Laden. That was the end of 1995 and Osama bin Laden was not in Afghanistan at that time. He came to Afghanistan in May 1996, then the government of Benazir Bhutto was toppled in November 1996."

Last edited by a moderator:

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Timing also coincides with pak COAS visit to US this month.

Compersion

Country flag
A single person is able to cause such (big) disturbance to a relationship between india and usa.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles