India - Australia Relations

apple

Some news relevant to the forum. Doesn't seem to really involve much commitment i.e. it concerns cyber policy, disarmament and non-proliferation... Watch out China !

Quote from the article

The new India-Australia framework dovetails neatly with both countries tightening ties with both Japan and the United States, suggesting the informal resurrection of a "security quad" or "security diamond" of democratic powers that was previously dropped due to Chinese concerns.​

The agreement "dovetails" because it doesn't really say anything. Australia's military argeements with Japan and the US are far, far more profound than this argeement and, to me, they shouldn't even be mentioned in the same article.

The Prime Minister congratulated and complimented the Indian Australian community for working hard and making their karmbhoomi proud. He named prominent Indian-Australians who had excelled for Australia in sports and academics.

Press Information Bureau English Releases
Does anyone know who these prominent "Indian- Australian" sportspeople are? There'd be Dav Whatmore, but he didn't really excel and I'm pretty sure his family is Sri Lankan. Agar has some kind of Indian heritage, but he'd be lucky to play for Australia again. There's some kid from Sydney, with an Indian name, whose done alright for NSW in first class cricket. But, at the moment, he'd be approximately 15th in line for a spot with the test side.

Judging from the link of that story it comes from an Indian (government???) website. Presumably it's intended to be read only by an Indian audience, which would make the term Indian- Australian OK. But saying whatever Nationality(Ethnicity/Religion)- Australian is problematic i.e. not cool, in Australia and hope Modi didn't use that phrase as it's not very diplomatic.

Zebra

Country flag
We did side with the USSR during Cold War. A large country like India cannot afford to be a part of any grouping, particularly when issues like development and employment take precedence over geopolitics.

We can only hope that Russia won't summon the Devil (China) to protect itself from the Demons (NATO). Russia might be limiting it's options.

Japan, Canada and Australia don't have an independent foreign policy, they will do what Uncle SAM wants them to do.

India-China relationship is complicated/multifaceted. India and China have cooperated on global forums in past and we will keep doing that in future on issues of common interest.
You guys keep hampering here, but they didn't waited for you.

They just did it what they wanted to do.

The best part here is they did it on no matter what basis.

And I said it.......

.......For business and trade all new history is getting shape in between India and Australia at Melbourne.
But I made few mistakes in it. My bad.

Then what else you get from a layman.

Let me correct it now.......All new history is getting shape in between India and Australia at Canberra.

DingDong

Country flag
Some news relevant to the forum. Doesn't seem to really involve much commitment i.e. it concerns cyber policy, disarmament and non-proliferation... Watch out China !

Quote from the article

The new India-Australia framework dovetails neatly with both countries tightening ties with both Japan and the United States, suggesting the informal resurrection of a "security quad" or "security diamond" of democratic powers that was previously dropped due to Chinese concerns.​

The agreement "dovetails" because it doesn't really say anything. Australia's military argeements with Japan and the US are far, far more profound than this argeement and, to me, they shouldn't even be mentioned in the same article.

Does anyone know who these prominent "Indian- Australian" sportspeople are? There'd be Dav Whatmore, but he didn't really excel and I'm pretty sure his family is Sri Lankan. Agar has some kind of Indian heritage, but he'd be lucky to play for Australia again. There's some kid from Sydney, with an Indian name, whose done alright for NSW in first class cricket. But, at the moment, he'd be approximately 15th in line for a spot with the test side.

Judging from the link of that story it comes from an Indian (government???) website. Presumably it's intended to be read only by an Indian audience, which would make the term Indian- Australian OK. But saying whatever Nationality(Ethnicity/Religion)- Australian is problematic i.e. not cool, in Australia and hope Modi didn't use that phrase as it's not very diplomatic.
Even the Australian Media has been talking about the "non-existent" Military Agreement. I think this is because India and Australia barely have any sort of "strategic" relation, and something is better than nothing.

As far as being "Cool" is concerned, he only cares about his electorate (People of India). Didn't Australia use to categorize a section of it's People under "Flora and Fauna" in not so distant past?

Last edited:

apple

Even the Australian Media has been talking about the "non-existent" Military Agreement. I think this is because India and Australia barely have any sort of "strategic" relation, and something is better than nothing.
Yeah, I don't even see us having similar strategic viewpoints/ interests. RAN has assets in the Indian ocean. But, as far as I'm aware, they're there because it's close (sort of) to the Malacca Strait's and the Middle East. Australia's submarines wont be co operating with you and our policies towards the Middle east are massively different.

As far as being "Cool" is concerned, he only cares about his electorate (People of India). Didn't Australia use to categorize a section of it's People under "Flora and Fauna" in not so distant past?
Sure, some of Australia's history is very racist. And your comment is relevant to what I was saying how?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
As I have mentioned in a post in another thread, there indeed has very little commonality between Australia's and India's strategic congruence.

Australia is very indebted to China for its economic well being and therefore it is far detached from the Indian strategic vision.

Yet, there is no doubt that Australia is totally beholden for her defence on the US through the ANZUS Treaty.

Therefore, whatever noises that emanates from Australia, is but the US voice and concern and Australia has no options but to obey the US diktat.

Where Australia and India actually finds congruence is Australia's abundant natural resources that are lying underutilised and its vast farm and animal produce.

And Australia is relatively cheap as far as foreign education and some of it is indeed quality education and most importantly, skill development, is concerned.

Australian racism should not be viewed adversely. If one understand the psyche it would be understandable. Australia has been the dumping ground of British and European societal rejects, be they convict and low life or refugees.

Therefore, the low life wanting to find some meaning to their reject status had to lord over those who were unable to fend for themselves.

Understandable.

Last edited:

apple

As I have mentioned in a post in another thread, there indeed has very little commonality between Australia's and India's strategic congruence.

Australia is very indebted to China for its economic well being and therefore it is far detached from the Indian strategic vision.

Yet, there is no doubt that Australia is totally beholden for her defence on the US through the ANZUS Treaty.

Therefore, whatever noises that emanates from Australia, is but the US voice and concern and Australia has no options but to obey the US diktat.

Where Australia and India actually finds congruence is Australia's abundant natural resources that are lying underutilised and its vast farm and animal produce.

And Australia is relatively cheap as far as foreign education and some of it is indeed quality education and most importantly, skill development, is concerned.

Australian racism should not be viewed adversely. If one understand the psyche it would be understandable. Australia has been the dumping ground of British and European societal rejects, be they convict and low life or refugees.

Therefore, the low life wanting to find some meaning to their reject status had to lord over those who were unable to fend for themselves.

Understandable.
Have told you before Ray, stop trying to be offensive, it's just embarrassing. And when you ascribe your values onto others, unsurprisingly, you tend to misunderstand them.

Australia is a responsible, adult nation. We have no trouble with the concept of China being, simultaneously, both our biggest trading partner and biggest military threat. We have some issues with lack of separation between American, and our own, foreign policy. But, as we are very similar countries, with very similar concerns, it's not much of a problem.

For an example of US- Australian foreign policy "problems", unlike the US we have recently sent extra ground forces to Iraq to combat IS. Abbott hasn't gotten on the phone demanding Obama sends in more troops, because we understand why they are not and the Australian pressure wouldn't make any difference. Likewise, Obama hasn't complained to Abbott that the extra Australian commitment is making him look bad/ weak , as he understands what we are doing. In reality, there isn't actually a problem and, even hypothetically, the concept of either of us doing something that the other would object to is pretty ridiculous.

If anyone imagines that Indo- Australia relationship would involve Australia doing (/or not doing) something the US would find objectionable, say for example us selling you weapons grade Plutonium, Australia isn't interested in doing that in the first place so any potential US objections are moot. As an aside, I don't think we actually do Plutonium...

As to race and class in Australia, you're always on about that aren't you, Ray? Those are issues, but not in the way you describe them. The lady doth protest too much, methinks...

As I've been telling you, Ray, to an Australian your insults are laughable. Insulting someone descendants, isn't offensive to Australians. Unless you're trying to be "amusing" or friendly, which in your case your not Ray, calling an Australian a bastard, or whatever, just reflects badly on the person who said it.

Your entirely wrong about the position of Australians descended from convicts or refugees. They are not what you describe as "low-lifes" in Australian society and they don't need to look down others. If anything, Australians who are descended from convicts or refugees enjoy a high status in Australian society, particularly amongst Australian nationalists. Your "lowlifes" have been particularly successful and whether they were descendants from convicts or refugees from Europe fleeing Nazi or Soviet persecution or the boat people from Vietnam these groups in particular are "very Australian" and I would argue less racist than other Australian groups. For this mail I'll be ignoring Lebanese and later "refugees".

As to how you all got to racism, I presume you misunderstood my comments about the term "Indian Australian". I understand what you mean and know many Americans choose to describe themselves that way i.e. African American, Italian American, etc... We don't do that in Australia. Over 25% of Australian citizens are born overseas, integrating immigrants is what we do. People go from being a New Australian to being an Australian, and that's it. To say "Indian Australian" is to imply that person isn't an Australian or that people from India can't be Australians, at least from our perspective.

Am sure the Indian Diplomatic Corps understand this and that PM Modi never used that term.

Zebra

Country flag
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi talks business in Melbourne

November 18, 2014 - 6:12PM

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi turned his attention from diplomacy to business when he arrived in Melbourne on Tuesday for the last leg of his historic visit to Australia.

Mr Modi's focus was on the Indian diaspora and government relations when visiting Sydney and Canberra earlier. But his attention was on the business community after arriving in Melbourne.

Mr Modi's meeting also included former cricketers Glenn McGrath and Steve Waugh, as well as mining magnate Gina Rinehart, BHP chief Andrew Mackenzie, Lindsay Fox and Visy Industries chairman Anthony Pratt.....
....The CEO's forum was followed by a reception hosted by Governor Chernov attended by about 450 business and community leaders.

Mr Modi will cap off his visit to Australia with a reception at the MCG.

Zebra

Country flag
'Deeply linked destinies': Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi calls for new era with Australia

November 18, 2014 - 12:31PM

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has called for a close partnership with Australia based on shared values to exploit the Indo-Pacific region's immense economic opportunities while tackling its growing security challenges.

Using soaring language that emphasised the common values of democracy and the rule of law, the leader of the world's second-most populous country sought to recast the relationship away from one that he acknowledged had been lacklustre in the past.

"There was a time when for many of us, Australia was a distant land at the southern edge of the world. Today, the world sees Australia to be at the heart of the Asia-Pacific and Indian Ocean region," he told the federal Parliament.

"This dynamic region holds the key to this world's future and Australia is at its crossroad.

"Australia has become more engaged in this part of the world. We welcome its growing role in driving this region's prosperity and shaping its security, because we in India seek the same future for this world. We also see Australia as a vital partner in India's quest for progress and prosperity."....

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Have told you before Ray, stop trying to be offensive, it's just embarrassing. And when you ascribe your values onto others, unsurprisingly, you tend to misunderstand them.

Australia is a responsible, adult nation. We have no trouble with the concept of China being, simultaneously, both our biggest trading partner and biggest military threat. We have some issues with lack of separation between American, and our own, foreign policy. But, as we are very similar countries, with very similar concerns, it's not much of a problem.

For an example of US- Australian foreign policy "problems", unlike the US we have recently sent extra ground forces to Iraq to combat IS. Abbott hasn't gotten on the phone demanding Obama sends in more troops, because we understand why they are not and the Australian pressure wouldn't make any difference. Likewise, Obama hasn't complained to Abbott that the extra Australian commitment is making him look bad/ weak , as he understands what we are doing. In reality, there isn't actually a problem and, even hypothetically, the concept of either of us doing something that the other would object to is pretty ridiculous.

If anyone imagines that Indo- Australia relationship would involve Australia doing (/or not doing) something the US would find objectionable, say for example us selling you weapons grade Plutonium, Australia isn't interested in doing that in the first place so any potential US objections are moot. As an aside, I don't think we actually do Plutonium...

As to race and class in Australia, you're always on about that aren't you, Ray? Those are issues, but not in the way you describe them. The lady doth protest too much, methinks...

As I've been telling you, Ray, to an Australian your insults are laughable. Insulting someone descendants, isn't offensive to Australians. Unless you're trying to be "amusing" or friendly, which in your case your not Ray, calling an Australian a bastard, or whatever, just reflects badly on the person who said it.

Your entirely wrong about the position of Australians descended from convicts or refugees. They are not what you describe as "low-lifes" in Australian society and they don't need to look down others. If anything, Australians who are descended from convicts or refugees enjoy a high status in Australian society, particularly amongst Australian nationalists. Your "lowlifes" have been particularly successful and whether they were descendants from convicts or refugees from Europe fleeing Nazi or Soviet persecution or the boat people from Vietnam these groups in particular are "very Australian" and I would argue less racist than other Australian groups. For this mail I'll be ignoring Lebanese and later "refugees".

As to how you all got to racism, I presume you misunderstood my comments about the term "Indian Australian". I understand what you mean and know many Americans choose to describe themselves that way i.e. African American, Italian American, etc... We don't do that in Australia. Over 25% of Australian citizens are born overseas, integrating immigrants is what we do. People go from being a New Australian to being an Australian, and that's it. To say "Indian Australian" is to imply that person isn't an Australian or that people from India can't be Australians, at least from our perspective.

Am sure the Indian Diplomatic Corps understand this and that PM Modi never used that term.
Actually what you tell or not tell is not material to the forum or the discussion. If it is embarrassing to you, well you are the best judge as to why you are embarrassed.

No, it is not that I am ascribing any of my values on anyone. Racism just does not pop out of a magician's hat. There are psychological reasons to all types of racism and racism, in some form or the other is there all over the world without exception.

There are many reasons for racism. One of the reason is Self Esteem. Prejudicial attitudes and discriminatory behaviour is undertaken to boost their own self-esteem. When people's self-esteem is threatened, prejudicial actions such as racism appear to restore esteem. Add to it, Positive Distinctiveness. People like to be a part of a group with near identical values and likes and dislikes and being a part of a group and look at themselves in a positive light (self-esteem) and thus perceive themselves as a group that is more important or significant to the rest.

Therefore, it would be wrong to downrightly condemn racism in Australia. There is a good reason for that. The Aborigines were not similar to the initial convict sent to Australia. Obviously, the convicts, who were rejects in British society had a low esteem. And when they found weaker people like the Aborigines, they lorded over them and banished them just to improve their self esteem and get rid of their low self esteem and identify themselves as a group that perceived themselves to be important and significant. That is what one would surmise from Psychology.

That psychology got passed on and became concretised. However, in this modern age, such discrimination or call it racism has become a no no. Hence, the change. However, can you honestly state that every Australian is free from prejudice and discriminatory behaviour? Had Australia been free from prejudice and discriminatory behaviour, then we would not have the lumpen element of the Australian society, who have no value for modern day political correctness, thrashing non white people to include Indians. These are the people who are in great numbers who are still ingrained with the mentality of the convicts' legacy of low esteem and attempt to rejuvenate their self esteem by bullying and thrashing those who are not equal in many ways.

Now, if you have some other reason, I sure would be delighted to learn.

We have no trouble with the concept of China being, simultaneously, both our biggest trading partner
Exactly what I have said.

The economic reason makes Australia beholden to China.

In 2011, the trade and investment with China brings benefits that isestimated to be A$10,500 per household per year.
(Sino-australian relations. (2011). Engineering and Mining Journal, (00958948), 59–62,64).

That is an immense amount of benefits.

f China......... biggest military threat. We have some issues with lack of separation between American, and our own, foreign policy. But, as we are very similar countries, with very similar concerns, it's not much of a problem.
How is China a military threat? China has in no way adopted any aggressive or inimical stance towards Australia.

However, when ANZUS is taken into consideration, Australia become a key player of US strategic concerns in the Pacific and Australia perforce has to play ball.

ANZUS treaty in no way restricts either the US or Australia to act independently of each other. Hence, Australia sending troops against ISIS is a unilateral activity and none can complain.

I would surely love to know otherwise as to how Australia has a problem militarily or strategically with China or if China has made any moves that directly threatens Australia.

Australia selling nuclear fuel to India is because the US has signed a treaty and so it is now kosher. If Australia was independent of the US, it would have sold earlier before the US India nuclear deal was signed. Therefore, the attitude of the US is very much in the reckoning.

If my so called 'insults' are laughable to Australian, then please laugh it off. If that was so, then why are you getting so hot under the collar? Obviously, the truth seems to affect your laughing spree.

The so called Indian Australian are not only Australians but are also 'Australians of Indian origin'. That is if you did not know.

apple

Actually what you tell or not tell is not material to the forum or the discussion. If it is embarrassing to you, well you are the best judge as to why you are embarrassed.

No, it is not that I am ascribing any of my values on anyone. Racism just does not pop out of a magician's hat. There are psychological reasons to all types of racism and racism, in some form or the other is there all over the world without exception.

There are many reasons for racism. One of the reason is Self Esteem. Prejudicial attitudes and discriminatory behaviour is undertaken to boost their own self-esteem. When people's self-esteem is threatened, prejudicial actions such as racism appear to restore esteem. Add to it, Positive Distinctiveness. People like to be a part of a group with near identical values and likes and dislikes and being a part of a group and look at themselves in a positive light (self-esteem) and thus perceive themselves as a group that is more important or significant to the rest.

Therefore, it would be wrong to downrightly condemn racism in Australia. There is a good reason for that. The Aborigines were not similar to the initial convict sent to Australia. Obviously, the convicts, who were rejects in British society had a low esteem. And when they found weaker people like the Aborigines, they lorded over them and banished them just to improve their self esteem and get rid of their low self esteem and identify themselves as a group that perceived themselves to be important and significant. That is what one would surmise from Psychology.

That psychology got passed on and became concretised. However, in this modern age, such discrimination or call it racism has become a no no. Hence, the change. However, can you honestly state that every Australian is free from prejudice and discriminatory behaviour? Had Australia been free from prejudice and discriminatory behaviour, then we would not have the lumpen element of the Australian society, who have no value for modern day political correctness, thrashing non white people to include Indians. These are the people who are in great numbers who are still ingrained with the mentality of the convicts' legacy of low esteem and attempt to rejuvenate their self esteem by bullying and thrashing those who are not equal in many ways.

Now, if you have some other reason, I sure would be delighted to learn.

Exactly what I have said.

The economic reason makes Australia beholden to China.

In 2011, the trade and investment with China brings benefits that isestimated to be A$10,500 per household per year.
(Sino-australian relations. (2011). Engineering and Mining Journal, (00958948), 59–62,64).

That is an immense amount of benefits.

How is China a military threat? China has in no way adopted any aggressive or inimical stance towards Australia.

However, when ANZUS is taken into consideration, Australia become a key player of US strategic concerns in the Pacific and Australia perforce has to play ball.

ANZUS treaty in no way restricts either the US or Australia to act independently of each other. Hence, Australia sending troops against ISIS is a unilateral activity and none can complain.

I would surely love to know otherwise as to how Australia has a problem militarily or strategically with China or if China has made any moves that directly threatens Australia.

Australia selling nuclear fuel to India is because the US has signed a treaty and so it is now kosher. If Australia was independent of the US, it would have sold earlier before the US India nuclear deal was signed. Therefore, the attitude of the US is very much in the reckoning.

If my so called 'insults' are laughable to Australian, then please laugh it off. If that was so, then why are you getting so hot under the collar? Obviously, the truth seems to affect your laughing spree.

The so called Indian Australian are not only Australians but are also 'Australians of Indian origin'. That is if you did not know.
Embarrassed for you, Ray, for you. I'm not the one embarrassing myself.

So you understand the mindset of white people, in Australia, over 200 years ago, do you? Given you don't seem to understand modern Australians, I sincerely doubt that. I'd argue that any racist attitudes convicts may have had towards the Aboriginal would have been exactly in keeping with the British culture of the time. Apart from the very early days of Sydney, convicts wouldn't have had much contact Aboriginals anyway.

I'm not discussing again the attacks on Indian students in Australia. Despite what the Indian media would have you believe, there was no (presumably white) gangs looking for Indians to attack on the streets of Australia.

Your posts about racism have no relevance.

Half your posts on this forum about how China is a threat, and now suddenly they are not ? Si vis pacem, para bellum.

I'm not getting "hot under the collar". I'm taking the time to try and correct some of your more ridiculous statements, Ray. Usually, I just ignore you. So, I guess I'll go back to doing that.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Embarrassed for you, Ray, for you. I'm not the one embarrassing myself.

So you understand the mindset of white people, in Australia, over 200 years ago, do you? Given you don't seem to understand modern Australians, I sincerely doubt that. I'd argue that any racist attitudes convicts may have had towards the Aboriginal would have been exactly in keeping with the British culture of the time. Apart from the very early days of Sydney, convicts wouldn't have had much contact Aboriginals anyway.

I'm not discussing again the attacks on Indian students in Australia. Despite what the Indian media would have you believe, there was no (presumably white) gangs looking for Indians to attack on the streets of Australia.

Your posts about racism have no relevance.

Half your posts on this forum about how China is a threat, and now suddenly they are not ? Si vis pacem, para bellum.

I'm not getting "hot under the collar". I'm taking the time to try and correct some of your more ridiculous statements, Ray. Usually, I just ignore you. So, I guess I'll go back to doing that.
Don't get embarrassed for me since I am not embarrassed for showing you light in your darkness of insight.

Nor have I appointed you as my counsel.

Ridiculous is possibly your middle name and that is why you are stuck to it and I assure you that it has nothing to do with me.

Please ignore since it does not bother me at all.

Bite me!

Winston Churchill has said - The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.

Got the photo?

So you understand the mindset of white people, in Australia, over 200 years ago, do you?m Given you don't seem to understand modern Australians, I sincerely doubt that.
Really?

Heard about the White Australia Policy?

It hung around till 1949 and was progressive dismantled IIRC 1973.

If While Australia policy is not the hangover of the convict mentality that spilled over to the 20th Century, then tell me what is? Racism at its pinnacle!

I take it that modern Australians lived in the 20th Century till 1973. But then maybe I could be wrong and they were all still primitive beings.

Last edited:

sorcerer

Country flag
C'mon, China has its investment scenarios in Australia. INdia has its scenarios. The world is large place and Australia is large too. There is something for everybody.

Quote from the article

Its okay, Indian establishment is just getting to Know Australia bstter. Once people to people contacts and the necessary bare necessities of agreements are met, that may be used as a launch point to bring in more credible military or economic agreements.

Aussies and Love for cricket.
There more than CRICKET in sports, I persums.
Heard of Lisa Sthalekar, She is the captain of Australia women's cricket team. She has INdian Origin.
Daniel Kerr, Australian Rules Footballer
Julian Pearce, former Hockey player who represented Australia in 45 international matches
Rhys Williams, professional Footballer
Roger Kerr, Australian Rules Footballer
Stuart Clark, Australian cricketer

Indian Australian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Here you get much information about Indian connect with your sports world)

Indian GOVT site cuz, the news is Official release not spinned stories of corporate media. So reading news from them gives us a fair and truthful insight rather than Propagandas.

Indian-Australian is to be taken in a bigger context.. Its kinda like INDIAN AUSTRALIAN CONNECT. Meaning AUstralia is not new to Indians or Indians are not new to Australians., we kinda know each other well.Sport as cricket is a medium where country to country connect is made on more joyful friendly terms. An Indian may not know Aussie PM but he would know your Cricket Captain. SO sports brings Connect, which can be used as a base. Aus-Ind link is made as a conributory gesture for the event called sports that brought people together.
It should not be taken in the context of racism. Be a sport dude!!

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Was going the comments section in the articles pertaining to modi visit to Australia on Australian news sites.

People were surprisingly supportive of india compared to China. General citizens very welcoming of india's initiatives.

I must confess I was expecting britard level comments, but then it was not the case.

Also it looks like chinese/paki trolls have not infiltrated the web yet there.

apple

C'mon, China has its investment scenarios in Australia. INdia has its scenarios. The world is large place and Australia is large too. There is something for everybody.

Its okay, Indian establishment is just getting to Know Australia bstter. Once people to people contacts and the necessary bare necessities of agreements are met, that may be used as a launch point to bring in more credible military or economic agreements.

Aussies and Love for cricket.
There more than CRICKET in sports, I persums.
Heard of Lisa Sthalekar, She is the captain of Australia women's cricket team. She has INdian Origin.
Daniel Kerr, Australian Rules Footballer
Julian Pearce, former Hockey player who represented Australia in 45 international matches
Rhys Williams, professional Footballer
Roger Kerr, Australian Rules Footballer
Stuart Clark, Australian cricketer
Didn't know that about Stuart Clark, but am disappointed I forgot Lisa Sthalekar :-/

Indian-Australian is to be taken in a bigger context.. Its kinda like INDIAN AUSTRALIAN CONNECT. Meaning AUstralia is not new to Indians or Indians are not new to Australians., we kinda know each other well.Sport as cricket is a medium where country to country connect is made on more joyful friendly terms. An Indian may not know Aussie PM but he would know your Cricket Captain. SO sports brings Connect, which can be used as a base. Aus-Ind link is made as a conributory gesture for the event called sports that brought people together.
It should not be taken in the context of racism. Be a sport dude!!
I didn't mention racism. Why did you use that term? For a rather unfortunate example, despite having spent almost all his life in America and all his relatives being American, don't think I've ever heard Mel Gibson being referred to as an "American Australian" and he's (along with plenty of other things) white.

Don't get embarrassed for me since I am not embarrassed for showing you light in your darkness of insight.

Nor have I appointed you as my counsel.

Ridiculous is possibly your middle name and that is why you are stuck to it and I assure you that it has nothing to do with me.

Please ignore since it does not bother me at all.

Bite me!

Winston Churchill has said - The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.

Got the photo?

Really?

Heard about the White Australia Policy?

It hung around till 1949 and was progressive dismantled IIRC 1973.

If While Australia policy is not the hangover of the convict mentality that spilled over to the 20th Century, then tell me what is? Racism at its pinnacle!

I take it that modern Australians lived in the 20th Century till 1973. But then maybe I could be wrong and they were all still primitive beings.
How many times do I have to keep schooling you Ray?

The White Australia Policy was only vaguely racist and it had nothing to with any kind of "convict mentality". In your case, Ray, the lady doeth protest to mucsh me thinks about racism and class.

Always amuses me when Indian's talk about the White Australia Policy.

Indians and Japanese (they were our allies in 1900) were exempt for the White Australia Policy.

For entry into Australia, under the White Australia Policy, an arrivee had to pass a written test which was in an European language. Immigration officials decided which European language the test would be in and the majority of people denied entry, under the White Australia Policy, were European communists in the 1920's-1930's (They would get a test, which they'd fail, in Celtic or Basque language).

The White Australia policy was the idea of Australian trade unions and church groups. Unions didn't like wealthy Australians employing large numbers of (typically Chinese) labourers at low wages and the Church were opposed to Coolie labourers as they considered it to be, effectively, a form of slavery. Right wing politicians would have opposed government control over "assisted immigration" of Asian labour as those workers were important to industry. But unions and church groups, were pragmatic enough to realise that the Australia of the period was profoundly racist and if they called their policy the White Australia Policy, no right wing politician would vote against.

In retrospect, it was terrible name... But yes, while people here don't seem to understand Australia, I don't think the White Australia policy or Australian racism is relevant to this discussion.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
How many times do I have to keep schooling you Ray?

The White Australia Policy was only vaguely racist and it had nothing to with any kind of "convict mentality". In your case, Ray, the lady doeth protest to mucsh me thinks about racism and class.
How many times are you to perpetuate the lie? It will never become the truth, Mr Joseph Goebbels.

School yourself with some honesty.

apple

How many times are you to perpetuate the lie? It will never become the truth, Mr Joseph Goebbels.

School yourself with some honesty.
Never said there(in fact on this forum I repeatedly have said there is) is no racism in Australia. Have also repeatedly said you don't understand the subjects you pontificate about.

Convict mentality and low-lifes... Classy

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Never said there(in fact on this forum I repeatedly have said there is) is no racism in Australia. Have also repeatedly said you don't understand the subjects you pontificate about.

Convict mentality and low-lifes... Classy
"God hath given you one face, and you make yourself another."
"• William Shakespeare, Hamlet

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles