India Approves $950M Deal for 2 Russian Talwar-class Frigates

WolfPack86

Country flag
India has given a nod to procure 2 Russian-made Talwar-class frigates equipped with BrahMos supersonic cruise missiles in a contract valued at $950 million.

The country had approved the purchase of four frigates from Russia for $2 billion in October. Two fully built warships will be directly shipped to India while the other two will be manufactured in the country under a separate deal later this year, Sputnik reported Tuesday.

The ships will be equipped with Ukrainian M7N.1E gas turbine engines that India bought. After Crimea's reunification with Russia, Moscow stopped importing the engines from Ukraine, rendering the ships of little use to the Russian Navy.

"Given that the US has implemented sanctions on weapons purchases from Moscow, India could make payments for the ships using the rupee-ruble route," the Economic Times reported.

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
I am Rudraksh . Sorry I went missing from Insta . I was busy for my Unacademy Exams . I dont use insta anymore
Omg ! Lol.. after a long time! Welcome back lol , I was thinking about you. It's better you don't use Instagram anymore. Its for the best

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles