Incredible Indian Wild Life

James-bond

Country flag
India has World's biggest wild cat (Bengal Tiger) to Smallest cat (Rusty spotted cat)15 wild-cat species, Only Lion country outside of Africa- Asiatic Lions,World's biggest wild-cattle 'Gaur' and second biggest cattle 'Water buffalo',Sloth bears,One horned Rhinos,Asian Elephants and so on.

Want to share wild life encounters in India....

James-bond

Country flag
^^ Only Animal which extinct due to human intervention in India is Asiatic Cheetah (Cheetah is Sanskrit word).Govt tried to introduce African Cheetah but our Sharia court refused this.

Anyway, Gaur is one of the spectacular muscle pack animal.

Asiatic Lions from Gir-Gujarat

Presently Kaziranga Tiger considered as biggest Wild Tiger in the world,they are huge

Yesterday fight b/w Tiger and Bear .. Sloth Bear fought back ferociously still tiger follow him,may be he wait for bear to succumb wounds!

Last edited:

HeinzGud

Country flag
@James-bond one other thing I always feel proud about is that no animal in India went extinct due to human action!
Wild Gaur from my list
Sri Lanka used to have gaurs in mountain forests. But, unfortunately they have been extinct in the wild since 19th century. Gaur hunting and Gaur wrestling had been a popular sport during the Kandyan kings. I believe that the Gaurs who had populated the mountain highlands of Sri Lanka were actually brought in from India for the King's own herds and then might have been sent off or escaped in to the jungles.

armyofhind

Country flag
India has World's biggest wild cat (Bengal Tiger) to Smallest cat (Rusty spotted cat)15 wild-cat species, Only Lion country outside of Africa- Asiatic Lions,World's biggest wild-cattle 'Gaur' and second biggest cattle 'Water buffalo',Sloth bears,One horned Rhinos,Asian Elephants and so on.

Want to share wild life encounters in India....
Biggest wild cat is not the Bengal Tiger but rather the Siberian Tiger or Amur Tiger as it's also called.

James-bond

Country flag
Biggest wild cat is not the Bengal Tiger but rather the Siberian Tiger or Amur Tiger as it's also called.
Ever recorded world's biggest wild cat is Bengal Tiger (389 kg)
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/largest-feline-carnivore/

Even on average Bengal is ~ 222kg and Siberian/Amur is ~185Kg only.
aka Wild Bengal is 37kg heavier than Siberian.:biggrin2: Based on modern scientific weights not hunter unverified accounts!

Bengal on average ~30+ kg heavier than African Lions.

Last edited:

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
Sri Lanka used to have gaurs in mountain forests. But, unfortunately they have been extinct in the wild since 19th century. Gaur hunting and Gaur wrestling had been a popular sport during the Kandyan kings. I believe that the Gaurs who had populated the mountain highlands of Sri Lanka were actually brought in from India for the King's own herds and then might have been sent off or escaped in to the jungles.
Anyway, Gaur is one of the spectacular muscle pack animal.

Now I know where the inspiration for this scene came from. Thanks.

Gaur bull. C'est puissant.

HeinzGud

Country flag
Now I know where the inspiration for this scene came from. Thanks.

Gaur bull. C'est puissant.
There are numerous falk stories about wild Gaurs terrorizing jungle paths and it was a common practice at that time for the king to send a reputed warrior to finish off the rampant bull.

James-bond

Country flag
There are numerous falk stories about wild Gaurs terrorizing jungle paths and it was a common practice at that time for the king to send a reputed warrior to finish off the rampant bull.
Terrorizing Jungle paths!! They even come into cities now.
Generally they don't bother humans except they threatened (in some case accidentally they gore humans)

HeinzGud

Country flag
Generally they don't bother humans except they threatened (in some case accidentally they gore humans)

Gaur is considered very dangerous animal by Sri Lankan folk stories. It is possible that some of the people had no idea what Gaur is back then. However, the excessive hunting of the animal might have wiped it from Sri Lankan wildness because of that fear. Gaur has turned into a mythical creature in Sri Lankan culture now.

James-bond

Country flag
Gaur is considered very dangerous animal by Sri Lankan folk stories. It is possible that some of the people had no idea what Gaur is back then. However, the excessive hunting of the animal might have wiped it from Sri Lankan wildness because of that fear. Gaur has turned into a mythical creature in Sri Lankan culture now.
Of-course Gaurs and Elephants are very powerful and dangerous animals,don't think they generally want to harm people or other animals but just one accidental push we will fly 10 meters in the air.:rofl:

btw Is Asiatic Lions really existed in Srilanka (flag) or it is also a myth??

Majority Indians don't know that mythological city 'Singapore' name is actually in Sanskrit ..
Singh=Lion and Pura=City means 'Lions city'.

Last edited:

HeinzGud

Country flag
Of-course Gaurs and Elephants are very powerful and dangerous animals,don't think they generally want to harm people or other animals but just one accidental push we will fly 10 meters in the air.:rofl:

btw Is Asiatic Lions really existed in Srilanka (flag) or it is also a myth??

Majority Indians don't know that mythological city 'Singapore' name is actually in Sanskrit ..
Singh=Lion and Pura=City means 'Lions city'.
Now that you mentioned it. Might it be possible that Gaurs are also showing aggressive behavior in mating seasons just like male elephants? Lone bull elephants are real nuisance in rural areas in my country.

There were findings of few scattered remainings of ancient lion like creature from deep gem mines. The specimen were later named as Sri Lankan Lion. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sri_Lanka_lion But the real inspiration for the Lion Flag might have come from the Asiatic Lion found in India. It is possible that some Asiatic lions might have been kept in captivity in ancient Sri Lankan courts.

Sinha Pura is also Sinhalese words. :D

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
Now that you mentioned it. Might it be possible that Gaurs are also showing aggressive behavior in mating seasons just like male elephants? Lone bull elephants are real nuisance in rural areas in my country.

There were findings of few scattered remainings of ancient lion like creature from deep gem mines. The specimen were later named as Sri Lankan Lion. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sri_Lanka_lion But the real inspiration for the Lion Flag might have come from the Asiatic Lion found in India. It is possible that some Asiatic lions might have been kept in captivity in ancient Sri Lankan courts.

Lol ya all Lankas are just Indian with extreme tan :lawl:

James-bond

Country flag

Wild Elephants kill around 30+ in SL and 350+ in India every year based on their population 3000 and 33000+ respectively, that is minimum collateral damage (1%) from intelligent,aggressive and at a same time peaceful animal.:rofl:

Sinhala
(Siṃhāla) is a Sanskrit term; the corresponding Middle Indo-Aryan (Eḷu) word is Sīhala. The name is a derivation from siṃha, the Sanskrit word for "lion".Sinhalese is written using the Sinhalese script, which is one of the Brahmic scripts.... Sinhala was derived from Sanskrit,Pali and written in Brahmi script.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Generally they don't bother humans except they threatened (in some case accidentally they gore humans).
I gotta post those gaurs on Wildfact.

Anyway here's some images of tigers & lions coexisting side-by-side with people in India's fringe forests...

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
Big mistake. You never show your back to a big cat. Never should you ever. It turns on their predatory instincts and then they attack the nape of your neck instinctively.

All these pics make me go "wow, the people of India have no fear".

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Big mistake. You never show your back to a big cat. Never should you ever. It turns on their predatory instincts and then they attack the nape of your neck instinctively.

Yeah, suck on that Pakis!

Although, it's more because of constantly seeing each other that they have eased up to one another's presence...

James-bond

Country flag

When ever we see any danger we start flee that is just 'human instinct' and 'cats' are un-predictable, we never know when they attack or simply move away.

Tigers and Leopards are different story but Asiatic lions are 'good boys', they rarely attack humans.Even Tiger or leopard attack is also rare but if they eaten us we became part of the nature. :rofl:

Anyway,my favorite is Mumbai Leopard.In sea of humanity(20mn) wild leopards live and hunt in center of the mega city is unthinkable!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles