Incorporation of the Oceanic Patrol Vessel in Brazilian Navy

Observer10

First of all, sorry about any mistakes in the translation from Portuguese to English!

Picture of the ship (didn't send the img because it was too big):
http://www.naval.com.br/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Navio-PatrulhaOceânico-“AMAZONAS”.jpg

On the 29th of June, in Portmouth, UK, happened the incorporation in the Brazilian Navy of the new Oceanic Patrol Vessel (OPV) built by BAE Systems Maritime - Naval Ships. The ship's name is the same of its class "Amazonas" [Amazon River, in English]

Total Length: 90,5 meters
Loaded Displacement: 2.060 tons (two thousand and sixty tons)
Max Speed: 25 knots
Radius of action at 12 knots: 4.000 nautical miles
Autonomy: 35 days
Embarked Military Capabilty: 39
Armament: 1 30mm canon and 2 25mm machine guns
Propulsion System: 2 MAN 16V28/33D 7.350 HP motors
Energy Generation: 3 CATERPILLAR of 550 kW Generators
1 CATERPILLAR de 200kW generator
Crew: 12 Officers, 21 Subofficers/Sargents e 48 Sailors
Source: Poder naval | Read more: Incorporação do Navio-Patrulha Oceânico 'Amazonas' à Marinha do Brasil | Poder Naval - Marinha de Guerra, Tecnologia Militar Naval e Marinha Mercante

There's more information in the news but it would be too much for me to translate, sorry for that.

Those weapons could be more powerful, don't you think? Anyway, thoses vessels were to be sold to Trinindad and Tobago but they didn't buy it because of economical issues, and then Brazilian Navy took the oportunity and bought it.

Observer10

I thought about it too, 30mm isn't ideal. I think the navy didn't do it because of low budget -_-

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I thought about it too, 30mm isn't ideal. I think the navy didn't do it because of low budget -_-
It is an OPV, it doesn't need heavy armament as a Coast Guard. Brasil got them because BAE sold them at half price since T&T didn't want them.

indian_sukhoi

Large patrol boats like these would be very suitable for their requirements, Maybe they could fit MANPADs and a CIWS system if made some modifications

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles