InAir Force to place all MiG 29s along Pak border: Valid tactical decision? Your take

Rage

DFI TEAM
Indian Air Force to place all MiG 29s along Pak border

Adampur, October 4, 2009

To step up its air defence capabilities, Indian Air Force (IAF) has decided to station all its MiG 29 squadrons at Adampur that is the second largest air base in the country.

The Adampur Air Force station, which is also known as the home of MiG 29s, already has two frontline fighter squadrons and will see another squadron moving from Jamnagar in Gujarat soon.

"We consider ourselves to be a strategic air power establishment of the IAF in the western sector, ever ready for operations. We are fully geared up to operate in any given time frame like any other Air Force stations of the country," said Air Commodore HS Arora, Air Officer Commanding of the Adampur air base.

India to place all MiG 29s along Pak border: India Today

x-x-x-x

India to station all MiG-29s along Pak border

Daily Times Monitor

LAHORE: The Indian Air Force (IAF) has decided to station all its MiG-29 squadrons at Adampur to beef up air defence capabilities and react in the shortest possible time along the international border with Pakistan, the Indian Express has reported.

“We consider ourselves to be a strategic air power establishment of the IAF in the western sector, ever ready for operations,” said Air Commodore HS Aroura, Air Officer Commanding of the Adampur airbase.

Meanwhile, the Ministry of Defence has signed a contract with the RAC MiG aircraft corporation to extend the service life of the MiG-29 by 25 to 40 years.

In addition, Aruora said six MiG-29 fighters were being upgraded and flight-tested in Russia, adding the remaining aircraft would be overhauled in India with the aid of Russian experts. “The upgraded MiG-29 fighters will have better radar systems and avionics to help fighters, a new weapon control system and modernised RD-33 engines, which would increase the aircraft hitting capability from long ranges,” he added.

Separately, the Indian army is planning to acquire 300 light tanks for deployment in the mountainous regions of the border with China and Pakistan, the Press Trust Of India has reported. It cited army sources as saying the tanks would be deployed in Jammu and Kashmir in the north and Arunachal Pradesh and Assam in the northeast.

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
That will expose them to preemptive strikes. Stupid move.

Rage

DFI TEAM

That'd be my take too. There are apparently multiple revetted aircraft dispersal areas on the North side of the field though, that afford some amount of protection in the event of an enemy air-raid. And I'm also tending to wonder about the Python 5 IR/Derby air defence quick-reaction missile system as a countermeasure to Pakisthan's 'cold start'.

What the rationale is behind staking Migs on the Pakistan border though is something I can only take potshots at.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
I think Mig 29 will act as mother ship to guide the MiG 21 courtesy to radars. It's a wise decision

ppgj

tarun, along the border does not mean at the forward bases but they are dedicated to take care of the western sector.
That'd be my take too. There are apparently multiple revetted aircraft dispersal areas on the North side of the field though, that afford some amount of protection in the event of an enemy air-raid. And I'm also tending to wonder about the Python 5 IR/Derby air defence quick-reaction missile system as a countermeasure to Pakisthan's 'cold start'.

What the rationale is behind staking Migs on the Pakistan border though is something I can only take potshots at.
by design, migs are good for low-medium altitude combat. not to say they can't do high altitude combat but are more efficient in the former category. the more plain geography along pakistan suits them.
i have always felt mig 29s are pak centric. su-30mkis and mirages(suitable for high altitude combat by design) are china centric.
i think it is smart.

bhramos

Country flag
I think Mig 29 will act as mother ship to guide the MiG 21 courtesy to radars. It's a wise decision
i support your decession.
as of allways PAF F-16 only scared by IAF Mig-29's'
even in kargil war the F-16 coulnt help intruders as Mig-29's were patroling that area.

Rage

DFI TEAM
by design, migs are good for low-medium altitude combat. not to say they can't do high altitude combat but are more efficient in the former category. the more plain geography along pakistan suits them.
i have always felt mig 29s are pak centric. su-30mkis and mirages(suitable for high altitude combat by design) are china centric.
i think it is smart.

No I agree with that part. My concern is with what countermeasures would be taken in the event of a pre-emptive strike on the airbase. The Adampur AFB already has a minimum of 70 combat aircraft, with two squadrons of MiG- 29s, two squadrons of MiG-23s and a squadron of MiG- 21s. And we have 16 other air bases under the Western Air Command alone.

bhramos

Country flag
we are deploying the advanced Israeli SAM's to protect our airbases.
i think this is only the best option at present we have.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
we are deploying the advanced Israeli SAM's to protect our airbases.
i think this is only the best option at present we have.
Plus Indian AAA guns for low level protection against cruise missiles :d

abhi

well adampur and jamnagar were only two bases hosting mig29's. this move will synergize the setup and probably free the jamnagar base to host the more capable su 30mki's which we are inducting in numbers

abhi

while talking of pre-emptive air strikes by pakistan let's not forget that we won't be sleeping and would detect the intruders and our aircraft would also be airborne to check them.

if they resort for a pre-emtive missile strike then (i) aircrafts are not parked in open, they will be in their pens which should have the capacity to sustain a hit (ii) we have anti-aircraft batteries and sam's in place to take care of aerial threats and (iii) lastly this would be the first and last pre-emtive strike our neighbour would launch on anyone, for after we retaliate they would be wiped form the map.

khatarnak

well adampur and jamnagar were only two bases hosting mig29's. this move will synergize the setup and probably free the jamnagar base to host the more capable su 30mki's which we are inducting in numbers
well, jamnagar must have a very good level of protection because of the oil refinary there. it is the bigest refinary of the country. more over, gujarat is our one of the most important states because of it's fast growth of economy (growth rate is about 14-15% compared to india's 8% - nearly double) if su30mki will take place of mig29s then it will be a nice move - otherwise ???.

wild goose

Hi,

Hope this has nothing to do with the 'corrossion' issues of the MiG29s.
But, Jamanagar is also close to the Pakistan border, so why shifting them in the name of Pakistan.

Moreover, the MiG29s would have been a nice option for the Navy pilots if they had intended to train their pilots in numbers. And, their shifting means their is no other fighters other than Bisons in the states of Rajasthan and Gujarat, till the Lohegaon base with Flankers.

Me too share the concern of 'keeping all the eggs in one basket'.

Regards

ppgj

No I agree with that part. My concern is with what countermeasures would be taken in the event of a pre-emptive strike on the airbase. The Adampur AFB already has a minimum of 70 combat aircraft, with two squadrons of MiG- 29s, two squadrons of MiG-23s and a squadron of MiG- 21s. And we have 16 other air bases under the Western Air Command alone.
rage, india has for many decades concentrated on its west 'cos the danger always came from there 'cos of the fickle nature of the govt there. so our air space has been well taken care of with the radars which drdo has come up with. so the airspace is pretty impregnable. only recently has india woken upto china.
also remeber indian awacs will know the pak aircraft the moment they get airborne. it will only take 2-5 minutes to scramble our jets to intercept.
all our migs will have BVR combat capability which means they will have both a long and first shot. that will be a great deterrence.
inspite of that if the enemy fighters take a chance, they also have to face SPYDER & AKASH SAM BATTERIES. it will be very tough to beat the combo.
also a point to remember pakistan has some good pilots but they don't have good machines. they will face upto some of the smartest aces from IAF in the most agile fighter seen uptill now.
so you decide.

ppgj

if su30mki will take place of mig29s then it will be a nice move - otherwise ???.
look at the map of pakistan. it is small in military terms. inspite of shorter endurance our mig 29, after the upgrade they are going thro', will be enough to achieve air superiority. that does not rule out a role for mki's. they will be called in if need be.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
i support your decession.
as of allways PAF F-16 only scared by IAF Mig-29's'
even in kargil war the F-16 coulnt help intruders as Mig-29's were patroling that area.
The reason PAF's involvement was zero/minimal in the Kargil conflict was because Pakistan could deny their official involvement in the conflict, if unsuccessful. Deny they did. PAF's involvement would make Pakistan's involvement obvious since the so called Mujahideens aren't flying F-16s, are they? :clever66:

I completely support the opinion that MiGs are more Pakistan-centric, while Sukois are China-centric.

khatarnak

rage, india has for many decades concentrated on its west 'cos the danger always came from there 'cos of the fickle nature of the govt there. so our air space has been well taken care of with the radars which drdo has come up with. so the airspace is pretty impregnable. only recently has india woken upto china.
also remeber indian awacs will know the pak aircraft the moment they get airborne. it will only take 2-5 minutes to scramble our jets to intercept.
all our migs will have BVR combat capability which means they will have both a long and first shot. that will be a great deterrence.
inspite of that if the enemy fighters take a chance, they also have to face SPYDER & AKASH SAM BATTERIES. it will be very tough to beat the combo.
also a point to remember pakistan has some good pilots but they don't have good machines. they will face upto some of the smartest aces from IAF in the most agile fighter seen uptill now.
so you decide.
sorry sir, but i do not understand your future things with current issue. IAF has moved, means already done. imo, spyder and akash are things of future - i mean existance in numbers - they are not part of defence forces yet. you mean to say that till then, gujarat will remain protected by god????:help:

i doubt that all migs are BVR combat capable especially the bisons 'coz only bisons are there on gujarat border now. correct me if i am wrong.

khatarnak

look at the map of pakistan. it is small in military terms. inspite of shorter endurance our mig 29, after the upgrade they are going thro', will be enough to achieve air superiority. that does not rule out a role for mki's. they will be called in if need be.
so u wanna say that the mig29s will be called from the base which is far away in the event of ****i attack on gujarat border??

certain words are banned for use on forums check list

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
The reason PAF's involvement was zero/minimal in the Kargil conflict was because Pakistan could deny their official involvement in the conflict, if unsuccessful. Deny they did. PAF's involvement would make Pakistan's involvement obvious since the so called Mujahideens aren't flying F-16s, are they? :clever66:

I completely support the opinion that MiGs are more Pakistan-centric, while Sukois are China-centric.
your point is valid raju but PAF F 16 were NOT and ARE NOT BVR equipped TILL now that was also one of the reason

ppgj

sorry sir, but i do not understand your future things with current issue. IAF has moved, means already done.
it is no big issue. combat a/c take hardly minutes and our awacs will give enough time to scamble.
imo, spyder and akash are things of future - i mean existance in numbers - they are not part of defence forces yet. you mean to say that till then, gujarat will remain protected by god????:help:
i am fairly sure akash is already in place. spyder is in the process. i wont be surprised if some are already in place. also don't forget AA guns.

i doubt that all migs are BVR combat capable especially the bisons 'coz only bisons are there on gujarat border now. correct me if i am wrong.
india is more or less covering all a/c to be bvr capable. so it is logical for mig 29s 'cos they are frontline a/c. even our mig 21s are bvr capable.

so u wanna say that the mig29s will be called from the base which is far away in the event of paki attack on gujarat border??
as i said combat a/c don't need too much time. our awacs will be a great help.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles