In underwater battle, India 'annihilates' American n-submarine

Neil

Country flag
If the hostile entry of United States Navy 7th fleet in the crucial stage of the 1971 war for the liberation of Bangladesh sent a shiver down the spine of Indian military commanders, events of last month gave them some relief.

Not surprisingly there is a spring in the stride of those from India's beleaguered submarine arm at the Vishakhapatnam-based Eastern Naval Command (ENC). "It is among the coolest things to happen in recent times," said a young officer.

An operation under the high profile naval exercise MALABAR, between the navies of India, USA and Japan, featured a simulated battle to hunt and destroy each other's submarines. Locked in this match were two prowlers, the INS Sindhudhvaj (S56), a Soviet-designed EKM class of conventional submarine and the USS City of Corpus Christi (SSN705), a nuclear-powered attack submarine which functions like a fighter plane - scramble and destroy enemy submarines and ships. The crew of both the vessels were asked to hunt the other down in a general area of the Bay of Bengal, based on 'available int'. They, subsequently dived.

Hours later, as they still searched the Americans were informed that the game was over already.

Unknown, they had been marked, tailed and suitably 'annihilated' by the 533mm torpedos 'fired' by their Indian counterparts from on board the INS Sindhudhvaj. What came as a clincher to the Indian side was the tool which detected the USS Corpus Christi - the 'made in India' Ushus SONAR (Sound Navigation and Ranging) which was recently installed. "The way it happens is that the Sindhudhvaj recorded the Hydrophonic Effect (HE) - simply put, underwater noise - of the nuclear powered submarine and managed to positively identify it before locking on to it. Being an exercise what did not happen was the firing," explained a naval officer. The HE thus captured can easily slide into the elaborate database that the any navy maintains for classifying and identifying foreign submarines. A US embassy spokesperson said, "We have no information on the results to share."

What will lend succour to the navy's submarine fleet is yet another validation of the kill potential of its premier platform. India has nine such submarines apart from four German-designed Shishumar class submarines. After years of disallowing its presence in any naval exercise involving foreign navies - attributed to the IN's desire to not its HE be recorded by a foreign player - this edition of MALABAR was the first time the Indian Navy (IN) allowed an EKM to take part.

Scoring over a US submarine also underscores the reputation that precedes an EKM submarine. Not without reason do the western navies term them 'black holes in the ocean' - a measure of how difficult it is to detect once submerged.

The six-day MALABAR exercise began on October 14 and saw the sea-going phase begin from October 16. Underwater warfare was among the most important aspects of this exercise. India allowing the participation of INS Sindhudhvaj can be linked with the fact that China's People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy has a much bigger fleet of EKM submarines, 12 in all, which it purchased from Russia from 1990. The PLA Navy's rising profile has seen it becoming the biggest maritime power in Asia with over 300 assets which includes a menacing underwater fleet of 62 submarines. The PLA Navy has also initiated the deployment of its submarines, in addition to its surface ships, in the Indian Ocean Region (IOR) - a region far removed from China's traditional area of maritime interest which would include the Taiwan Strait, East China Sea and South China Sea, apart from the Pacific Ocean.

Veteran submariner, Vice Admiral KN Sushil (retd), said, "I would have been upset had we failed at achieving what we did. A nuclear powered submarine always makes more noise vis a vis a conventional one and thus the results do not surprise me."

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/...nnihilates-american-n-submarine/1/533506.html

punjab47

महाबलामहावीर्यामहासत्यपराक्रमासर्वाग्रेक्षत्रियाजट
Banned
Good, means we have quality now time for quantity.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Saurav Jha seems to think, this is such a great feat as portrayed in the OP.

I concur......

punjab47

Banned
Good, means we have quality now time for quantity.

delta

Country flag
IMHO we need to take such news with a pinch of salt. our media tends to lose its shit at the slightest sign of anything even remotely newsworthy, and then go overboard with the story. im glad our hardware and tactics are effective, but i would not believe in every word our journalists write.

punjab47

Banned
IMHO we need to take such news with a pinch of salt. our media tends to lose its shit at the slightest sign of anything even remotely newsworthy, and then go overboard with the story. im glad our hardware and tactics are effective, but i would not believe in every word our journalists write.
Yeah, me editing first into my post probably does more in reality than what media hypes.

They were acting like our Su30mkis w/o E/W would survive against Typhoons with meteors..

Scarface

I'll wait for an official report before jumping into media media hype.

We've been embarrassed before by media and it's overzealous and cherrypicked reporting, leaving critical details out and causing misunderstanding.

The recent Top Guns vs Flop guns article by TOI about Indra Dhanush was an example of that, IAF had to officially redact their statement because media houses just can't report objectively without Masala

myana

Deisel electric ssk are way queiter than nuclear ssnk. Obviously our ssk will lock first. I wonder why these people are boasting and creating the drama. What matters most is post lock on how effective your torpedo and how effectively it dodged counter measures

Neil

Country flag
nothing new...kilo's are known to go undetected by most advanced US sonar systems...a Chinese sub had evaded US carrier battlegroup defences and lurked very close to the carrier.

Also US could be testing IN systems and capability while masking its own.

Anyways its a learning experience, I doubt IN has ever participated in a nuke sub hunting exercise before

NLD

Its good Indian Navy was able to detect a US nuclear submarine with an indegenious sonar.
Congos to the sonar design team.
But the issue doesnt stop here…both vessels are of 1980's. Here in the issue of stealth( only if u.s sub was really not able to find kilo sub as said above they might have intentionally done this) Russia has shown its capability in the field of stealth.
But the point is if our sonar is capable of detecting kilo's then i think there is no much difference in stealth capability of both countries. Then the question arises is about our sonar. Is it capable of detecting the new generation subs. If yes its good…if no still our technology is approx 25-30 years old. So i think as soon as we pass a milestone competition arises and the difficulty increases.
This is according to my own views. Senior members please do clarify about this.

Ved

The US Sub must have deliberately allowed it to get detected to know the sonar signature of Ushus without revealing its own.
If the report is true it is a worry except if IN had been clever.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
The US Sub must have deliberately allowed it to get detected to know the sonar signature of Ushus without revealing its own.
If the report is true it is a worry except if IN had been clever.
Yes. Indian product must always be inferior to murican ones. If there is evidence to the contrary, we must cook up some imaginary CT to dismiss the evidence:rolleyes:

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
And that is why i keep saying dump P75I and buy 20 more Kilos!

mayankkrishna

Country flag
I read on the comments to the same news that the US sub involved here was third oldest type afloat with US navy. Seven of the 10 already decommissioned. So afterall whats the hype all about..Maybe Kilos are getting older now, thats why Indian navy decided to field them for the first time..

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
nothing new...kilo's are known to go undetected by most advanced US sonar systems...a Chinese sub had evaded US carrier battlegroup defences and lurked very close to the carrier.

Also US could be testing IN systems and capability while masking its own.

Anyways its a learning experience, I doubt IN has ever participated in a nuke sub hunting exercise before
the most valid point.. they never come up with their best :D

Sunnytheworm

2-3 years back every person in media n road was criticizing our kilo class submarines as there were 2 accidents killing sailors in them. They were said to b old, sub quality n inferior. All of a sudden they are like best of the class n highly fearful. It's hard to believe

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
2-3 years back every person in media n road was criticizing our kilo class submarines as there were 2 accidents killing sailors in them. They were said to b old, sub quality n inferior. All of a sudden they are like best of the class n highly fearful. It's hard to believe
They ARE old, period. It is the exelence of our sailors that those boats are still lethal.

J.A.

Militants
India is pure class with Naval forces. Marines in Naval ?? Little bit ??

Goodness.

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
Kilos are among most dreaded submarines operating by few countries ..... When Vietnam got few Kilos it created great fear and hysteria among Chinese ......we have 9 which can fire Klub in all variants land,torpedo and AShm.

But as @delta said we should also take these news with a frigging bucket of salt considering the ignorance of our media in defense matters.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles