IN Scorpene Submarines - News & Discussions

aditya g

Country flag
Same style optronic mast as Arihant ...

Indian Navy ferry in the background - which class?

porky_kicker

Country flag
An example is the Kilo-class submarine INS Sindhukirti, which was ripped open by HSL in 2004 - while that was the easy part, it took them almost 10 years to piece it back together.
this was a disaster waiting to happen since they decided to bypass the OEM

True - but incidentally, the future you are seeing and the future that IN is seeing appears to be somewhat different!
so it seems but who knows things might change

the VLS module was not a specified requirement and is only available on the Amur-950. The Russians threw us a biscuit - an additional capability we never asked for.
true
and bro i am talking about a MODULAR PAYLOAD MODULE plug-in (not a VLS plug-in exactly) which can be swapped with the various modules depending on operational requirement.

anyways it is just an idea of mine
lets hope the best for our next conventional subs.

It is said that once the larger "S-5" class SSBNs come online, the 3 Arihant-class boats will be converted to a dedicated SSGN role with VL cruise missiles.
expected trend ..........
but my friend this will take a long long time to happen , till then what r we gonna do regarding this .
and also till all the S5 class SSBNs come into service 50% chances are we will have only the last arihant class sub with enough operational life to be positioned as a dedicated SSGN.

garg_bharat

Country flag
Lot of discussion about what Navy wants.

Does anybody has any proof?

Can somebody provide links to statement of officials, rfi etc?

As far as I know, p75i will be high endurance boats, practically filling for roles an SsN does normally.

garg_bharat

Country flag
Scorpene is a small boat designed for coastal defence.

Our SSN program is in infancy and may not produce a boat for quite some time. The nuclear fuel availability is limited which means SSBN has priority over SSN.

India needs large SSK boats with good range that can keep up with aircraft carriers.

The need is similar to what Australia got from France recently.

I think India will go for a local design with local AIP. It is a good idea to build kilo 636 additionally which is inexpensive to fill the numbers.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Out of the 6, only 1 is being made at a time or simultaneously? How long do we have to wait for the 2nd to enter sea trials?

garg_bharat

Country flag
Out of the 6, only 1 is being made at a time or simultaneously? How long do we have to wait for the 2nd to enter sea trials?
I think there are two yards, so they can build two together.

The second boat may be close to finish too. It may have moved out of assembly area.

The last two may not have started building process.

The news today says MOD is planning to give two unit extra orders. So we can safely say that shipyard is busy for next 6-8 years.

The news also says that the heavy weight torpedo black shark is not even contracted. Not sure why Navy is hell bent on Alenia Whitehead as the political headwind is not favorable to this Italian supplier.

Not sure of the status of similar Indian effort. Maybe the this class will end up with locally made torpedoes.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
I think there are two yards, so they can build two together.

The second boat may be close to finish too. It may have moved out of assembly area.

The last two may not have started building process.

The news today says MOD is planning to give two unit extra orders. So we can safely say that shipyard is busy for next 6-8 years.
We need more docks/yards. Or just make the others at Cochin or Vizag.

garg_bharat

Country flag
Though unconfirmed, I have a feeling that this boat cannot head out to sea without its primary weapon - torpedo.

It is clear that Black Shark torpedo has not been bought. This opens the possibility of boat carrying locally made heavy torpedo - varunastra.

The same torpedo would have gone into Arihant as well; since there is no news of any other torpedo being purchased.

If my hunch is true, this is a very big deal for a NSTL (DRDO) developed weapon.

power_monger

Country flag
It is clear that Black Shark torpedo has not been bought. This opens the possibility of boat carrying locally made heavy torpedo - varunastra.

The same torpedo would have gone into Arihant as well; since there is no news of any other torpedo being purchased.

If my hunch is true, this is a very big deal for a NSTL (DRDO) developed weapon.
With varunastra clearing user trials this does not look like remote possibility.One thing i like about navy is, navy takes less time to induct indigenous systems compared to Army and IAF.

Gessler

Country flag
" As of now only the Black Shark is qualified on the Scorpene. To qualify & certify any other HWT will take years of work & considerable expenditure to reprogramme the SUBTICS Combat-Management System (CMS). If this is to be done, then the MoD can easily ask TimesNow, Dr Subramanium Swamy, Amit Shah etc etc to all pitch in with their savings monies in order to fund such a programme. Let those who have played a role in sabotaging the procurement of Black Shark HWT also be the ones to fund the alternative solution. "

" The job of THALES is only to integrate any HWT's fire-control system with the SUBTICS combat management system, which was originally developed with the Black Shark in mind & that's why all existing Scorpene SSK operators like the navies of Chile & Malaysia use Black Shark HWTs. "

- Prasun K. Sengupta

garg_bharat

Country flag
It is unfortunate if India spent 3 billion us dollar on scorpene but cannot integrate its local torpedo with the boat.

This must be a big procurement folly.

Since Whitehead torpedo is the basis of India's own torpedo program, there is hope that such integration may not be too difficult.

Prasoon's stand here is wrong as the events in Italy derailed the procurement, not some Indian.

I fear the same blow up can happen with French procurement also.

garg_bharat

Country flag
Europe is sitting on verge of big political changes. Realignment of political forces always throws surprises.

More surprises are in store.

All the more reason to start paying more attention to local R&D.

Ved

Is F21 torpedo an option? In case the black shark is rejected.

Latest Replies

New threads

Articles