In a first, Chinese papers 'dare' to criticize govt

Agantrope

BEIJING: The editorial pages of Chinese newspapers often resemble each other. They say the same things and often publish identical articles and editorials released either by the official Xinhua News Agency or government bodies like the information department of the provincial government in Tibet.

They lash out at the Dalai Lama, scold Barack Obama and applaud Hu Jintao in unison. No one ever expects them to act differently.

This time, too, the editors posted identical content. But what they wrote on March 1 took even human rights groups who wait endlessly for some spark of courage on the part of journalists and almost have given up on them by surprise.

Miraculously, 13 Chinese newspapers joined hands to criticize Beijing on the 50-year-old household registration, or hukuo, system that disallows a person to go and work in any province other than his own without a special permit.

The hukuo system was introduced when Mao Zedong found famine stricken people from villages were flooding the cities. It has since become an important tool of political control for the party and the police as the permit system makes it easier to keep a close watch on potential mischief makers and helps stem large scale revolt. This is a system the government has promised to reform but never did.

A 200 million-strong population of migrant workers living away from their home do not enjoy rights guaranteed to them in their native villages. This includes some political rights and access to public schools and hospitals.

Observers say 250,000 children of migrant workers in Beijing do not have access to schools.

The language used in the editorial betrayed a sense of simmering frustration among senior journalists who have so far displayed special skills just to survive in the tightly-monitored press.

The write-up, which a good portion of China's 160 million internet users are believed to have seen, stayed for four hours before it was pulled off.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...are-to-criticize-govt/articleshow/5681099.cms

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Beijing will just thank those newspapers for giving an outlet to all those who vented their feelings. Gives them more people to be sent to free labor camps or to Africa where they force them to work for free in the contracts they win so cheap.

no smoking

Country flag
Beijing will just thank those newspapers for giving an outlet to all those who vented their feelings. Gives them more people to be sent to free labor camps or to Africa where they force them to work for free in the contracts they win so cheap.
Well, you still don't understand chinese politics. Critising gov is very normal among chinese media. But there is a difference between chinese gov bashing and western style. Generally, chinese media critise a specific policy or a gov department instead of CCP itself. Don't get me wrong, this is not some kind of western free media. It is the phenomenon caused by the internal struggle within CCP. If a group of senior CCP officers want to have a fight against their competitors, they will start from media. Their peple who is in charge of a newspaper or TV station will initiate a propoganda opposing some policys of their competitor. If their opinion gets support among the common CCP members, they will successfully impaire their competitors' influence within CCP. This victory may bring them some key positions within the party.

Meanwhile, there is another propoganda movement which is commanded by CCP itself. That is a standard step of any reform policy since 1979. By making this criticism, they can see how each interest group would reponse to this potential reform policy. If the comprehensive response is positive, they would go ahead. Otherwise, they may re-consider it.

So, this criticism means CCP or even a group of CCP officials are advocating the reform of hukou system. They want to see how strong support they would get from people if it is the agrred plan of whole CCP senior leadership. If it is from a interest group in CCP, then they just want to win more support for their power suggle. So, next question would be how would other media response.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I highly doubt if CCP is looking for public opinion on the issue. CCP knows damn well the people want hukuo revoked. To deny the children of 200,000,000 migrants access to public school goes against the very constitution of China.

gogbot

I highly doubt if CCP is looking for public opinion on the issue. CCP knows damn well the people want hukuo revoked. To deny the children of 200,000,000 migrants access to public school goes against the very constitution of China.
Who is going to even enforce the constitution

badguy2000

Respected Member
I rarely read papers now....I usuall read news on internet.

singa

you are brain-washed by western medias. in China, CCP definitely will listen to the public opinion. but whether follow their opinion, it is not sure. sometime CCP follows and sometime not follows. I think this is the same as France. It is the struggle result.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
you are brain-washed by western medias. in China, CCP definitely will listen to the public opinion. but whether follow their opinion, it is not sure. sometime CCP follows and sometime not follows. I think this is the same as France. It is the struggle result.
Is there anything I said that reflects I don't understand that fact? Clearly, CCP hasn't followed the opinion of the people as they vowed to abolish it before. CCP already made up their mind buddy. Only brainwashed one is you if you think they are going to do anything about it.

gogbot

LOL

In France, if Government does something they dont like.

They march and form rally's.
More than any other country in the world.

They even march in protest even for the most insignificant things like the height of certain building and noise from construction sites.

The last time the people rallied in China as a protest in large numbers was , 1989
And it did not end very well..

No it did not.

no smoking

Country flag
LOL

In France, if Government does something they dont like.

They march and form rally's.
More than any other country in the world.

They even march in protest even for the most insignificant things like the height of certain building and noise from construction sites.

The last time the people rallied in China as a protest in large numbers was , 1989
And it did not end very well..

No it did not.
No, you are wrong. The first time people rallied in China as a protest in large numbers was 1989.

After that, we've already seen a lots of rallies and protests in China EVERY YEAR. Sometimes govt had to back off, sometimes not.

no smoking

Country flag
That is why I always say you know nothing about China.

Yes, there is a lot of people don't want HuKou revoked. Who? the urban residents and those rural residents who have the ability to find a good job in the City. Without Hukou system, you may see that millions of people will come into the city where you are living to comepete for your position. Even your position requires a certain level of skills, you are still facing the decline of income. On the other hand, people who can benefit from the termination of Hukou may not support it as strong as you think because this new policy doesn't gurantee the increase of their living standard.

By the way, the education of migrant works' children is being resolved without revoke of Hukou. In big city like Beijing, Shanghai, there are hundredes of new public schools are built for these children.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
No, you are wrong. The first time people rallied in China as a protest in large numbers was 1989.

After that, we've already seen a lots of rallies and protests in China EVERY YEAR. Sometimes govt had to back off, sometimes not.
Sure, we seen a recent protest in Xinjiang where 1,000 Uighurs died. CCP don't back off of anything.

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
That is why I always say you know nothing about China.

Yes, there is a lot of people don't want HuKou revoked. Who? the urban residents and those rural residents who have the ability to find a good job in the City. Without Hukou system, you may see that millions of people will come into the city where you are living to comepete for your position. Even your position requires a certain level of skills, you are still facing the decline of income. On the other hand, people who can benefit from the termination of Hukou may not support it as strong as you think because this new policy doesn't gurantee the increase of their living standard.

By the way, the education of migrant works' children is being resolved without revoke of Hukou. In big city like Beijing, Shanghai, there are hundredes of new public schools are built for these children.
WTF?!! Man you are serious?...You dont want to revoke the system fearing competition? Well I dont reply to these threads but this is blasphemous man....serious!!!

redragon

Country flag
Sure, we seen a recent protest in Xinjiang where 1,000 Uighurs died. CCP don't back off of anything.
Nothing can compare with France killed 1 million muslim and force the rest of them not to wear their traditional clothes last week, I was really shocked by French white people, Muslim should really be uprising and get Paris separated from France, because Paris was a independant country belonged to Islamic people. :)

redragon

Country flag
WTF?!! Man you are serious?...You dont want to revoke the system fearing competition? Well I dont reply to these threads but this is blasphemous man....serious!!!
Wow, I really admire indian, none of them complaint or have ill-feeling about the slum in Deli, Chinese should really learn from them

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Wow, I really admire indian, none of them complaint or have ill-feeling about the slum in Deli, Chinese should really learn from them
Maybe you should learn from slum of India. The slums are there because India protects property rights; unlike China who demolishes poverty areas to boost construction GDP and takes what they want regardless of the efficiency of it. Property rights are the backbone of efficient use of land and resources. China's bad development policy is quickly coming to the forefront and will soon defray the Chinese economy.

no smoking

Country flag
Maybe you should learn from slum of India. The slums are there because India protects property rights; unlike China who demolishes poverty areas to boost construction GDP and takes what they want regardless of the efficiency of it. Property rights are the backbone of efficient use of land and resources. China's bad development policy is quickly coming to the forefront and will soon defray the Chinese economy.
Wait a minute, are you telling me all the people living in the slum has bought property right from someone? Seriously, please tell me from whom and when.

And just reminding you, all the land of china belongs to Gov before 1990. The previous owners of these land have been driven out of china before 1949.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Wait a minute, are you telling me all the people living in the slum has bought property right from someone? Seriously, please tell me from whom and when.
http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal...-dwellers-to-get-land-ownership_10039168.html

And just reminding you, all the land of china belongs to Gov before 1990. The previous owners of these land have been driven out of china before 1949.
We are well aware China has no property rights... no reason to be proud of it.

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Well so they were people who tried to come to the city and make a life for themselves. They couldnt succeed on that day...perhaps some other day. Yes this is called as "Human Rights" which you can understand if you have "Freedom of Speech". To understand something as complicated as India you first need some unbiased education which helps u to say "yeah we need to give these people a better life" not chase them away to a barren land. Every man has the right to choose his profession whatever may be. If a farmer has to remain a farmer and his further generations must also follow suite it is not a justifiable act. It is called "Blatant Violations on Human Rights".

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles