IAF to have radar system in mountains for better security

Galaxy

Country flag
IAF to have radar system in mountains for better security

8 OCT, 2011

HINDON (Ghaziabad): As part of a major security upgrade, the Indian Air Force (IAF) will put in place a comprehensive radar system in mountains and other places to plug gaps and deploy fighter aircraft at Delhi and other metro cities for quick response to any possible threat.

"I think by 2014 we would have a very comprehensive and complete radar coverage network in the country. The most difficult part are the mountainous areas and that may take about a year longer," Air Force Chief Air Chief Marshal N A K Browne said here.

He told reporters on sidelines of Air Force Day parade here, "We have certain plans, which looks after the air-defence of all the important metros, starting from Delhi. This network comprises radars, early warning systems, missiles as well as the air-borne fighters."

On securing the air-space of National Capital Region (NCR), he said, "Since Hindon is the closest base, it could actually be the right place to base the air-defence fighters."

He said the type of the aircraft to be deployed here has yet not been decided.

"Whether it would be Sukhois or M-MRCA class of aircraft, that decision is not taken but certainly these would be highly capable air-defence fighters," he said.

On the forthcoming army exercise codenamed Op Sudarshan Shakti, he said, "Participants would be the strike corps i.e. 21 Corps from the Indian Army and the South Western Air Command (SWAC) from the IAF.

bhramos

Country flag
one radar system dont work, as once IAF placed a radar in was destroyed due to severe snow or bad weather with the border with China

plugwater

How come weather destroyed radar system!! Not possible.

2014!! too long, they should do it much faster.

plugwater

it is installed on mountain top, when heavy snow, you can understand what can happen.
If they deployed in rough weather conditions i am sure they would have taken some precautions.

SHASH2K2

If they deployed in rough weather conditions i am sure they would have taken some precautions.
plugwater in extreme weather conditions such as heat and cold most of these systems fail. I had interaction with one of guy in radar divison and as per him in ladakh and kargil area no system works. they even provided heat to systems but that also didnt work. in case of heavy snow no one can do anything. so I agree with what says sir is saying. In Himalayan region it is tough to operate Radar systems. :(

plugwater

plugwater in extreme weather conditions such as heat and cold most of these systems fail. I had interaction with one of guy in radar divison and as per him in ladakh and kargil area no system works. they even provided heat to systems but that also didnt work. in case of heavy snow no one can do anything. so I agree with what says sir is saying. In Himalayan region it is tough to operate Radar systems. :(
Mate, we are not in 20th century, hot and cold climates can affect only old/outdated radar systems. New ones must be immune to weather.

Only thing that can take out radars is avalanche . :)

SHASH2K2

Mate, we are not in 20th century, hot and cold climates can affect only old/outdated radar systems. New ones must be immune to weather.

Only thing that can take out radars is avalanche . :)
well I was quoting someone who worked in Radar division and was part of a team that tried to install \test some systems in those regions and they failed miserably. :D Maybe we need to build systems here as per our requirements instead of importing them.

Also I guess performance and completely out of function are two seperate issues. Radars work but efficiency and maintenance is a big task and that makes it difficult .

plugwater

Maybe we need to build systems here as per our requirements instead of importing them.
Only if DRDO guys get their act together, may not happen soon :D

Also I guess performance and completely out of function are two seperate issues. Radars work but efficiency and maintenance is a big task and that makes it difficult .
Maybe we should ask americans to move some of their long range radars in these places :p

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
here is the radar

Low level Light Weight 2D Radar - BHARANI:: is a light weight, battery powered and compact sensor which provides 2D surveillance solution to alert Army Air Defence Weapon Systems mainly in mountainous terrain against hostile aerial targets like UAVs, RPVs, helicopters and fixed wing aircraft flying at low and medium altitudes. The radar can be transported by vehicles, animal transport or group of men or as helislung loads. It can be dismantled into packages to facilitate quick installation and re-location in mountainous terrain. It will act as an early warner to air defence weapon systems employed to provide protection to vulnerable areas or vulnerable points.
The system consists of radar, Commander Display Unit (CDU) and messaging unit Target Designation Unit (TDU) and Target Data Receivers (TDR). One radar can service upto 10 TDRs using existing combat radio resources/ network. The CDU can be located upto 750m from the radar. The radar with modular architecture, advanced ECCM features, ruggedness as per Mil standards can be operated in varied conditions including extreme climatic and geographical conditions and in battle field situations, especially offensive EW environment. The radar detects and tracks short range air-to-ground threats with a high probability of detection. The radar has an integrated IFF that can detect, confirm, classify and attain IFF status on every target in the battle space under surveillance.

here is pic i took in 2008

this one is portable.

you can find other radars here DRDO

SHASH2K2

Only if DRDO guys get their act together, may not happen soon :D

I would like to clarify tat what I was atalking about happened 10 years back and systems were imported ones . we do have good enough systems here now and Hopefully DRDO can tweak their systems to work in extreme conditions but that wont be easy .

Last edited:

SHASH2K2

Maybe we should ask americans to move some of their long range radars in these places.
If we go for american missile defence shield thwy will definitely move in two X band Radars to monitor whole china but we will never have access to those machines for sure. so in short they will be useless for us.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles