IAF Mig-29

StealthSniper

Hey Vladimir or anyone else I suppose this upgrade package will keep our Mig's flying till 2020 or so. Does it also include checking or changing the structure of the airframe to extend it's lifespan or is that not needed.

Vladimir79

Professional
Hey Vladimir or anyone else I suppose this upgrade package will keep our Mig's flying till 2020 or so. Does it also include checking or changing the structure of the airframe to extend it's lifespan or is that not needed.
The SMT upgrade comes with extending the internal fuel tanks, inflight refueling system, structural reinforcement, engine overhaul and a host of other improvments that will extend the life by 4,000 flight hours and make it a 4+ multi-role fighter.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
That is pretty reasonable compared to Dassault, and what they asked for upgrades.

Vladimir79

Professional
I never could understand why Dassault would bother to make an upgrade that didn't include rengine and life extension. IAF's Mirage-2000s have been flown to hell and back, it wouldn't be any good to upgrade them only to ground them a couple years later. Playing the "hold your aerocraft hostage" card is no way to make friends, especially if you want MMRCA.

icecoolben

There's no use blaming the french, v produced 500+ mig-21 in hal and never bothered to research upgrades for the aircraft. Finally israel a non mig user offered those desperate upgrades. V didn't even come up with avionics upgrade for mig-29 and again going for the oem. The french are not the most pleasant people in the world especially when it comes to money reports an article from bbc in which the french were voted the most rude people in the world.
I wouldn't be surprised even after building 280 su-30 mki and 190 mmrca, V would be running to the original equipment manufacturer for the next life extension upgrade. Its time the government stopped monopolising defence deals and issued domestic tenders as well to private sector companies to qualify for partnership with the foreign entity who can then make their upgrades with feedback from the primary users periodically. Otherwise this phatetic cycle will never end.

StealthSniper

Not to derail this thread but I wish Dassault would be a little more leniant like the Russians when it comes to their upgrade package. The Mirage 2000 is a great fighter and with the upgrade package I honestly believe it would be competitive with the competitors in the MMRCA competition. It's a shame that Dassault is trying to rip off the IAF and I personally like the Mirage more then the other fighters that we might be getting.

Mirage 2000-5 cockpit:

RPK

Indyakudimahan
Country flag
Upgradation of MIG-29 squadrons

The government signed a contract for upgradation of MiG-29 aircraft with M/s Russian Aircraft Corporation (RAC MiG) on 7 March 2008. The MiG-29 aircraft upgrade is planned in two phases namely Design & Development (D&D) phase in Russia and series upgrade in India. Upgrade of six aircraft in D&D phase commenced from August 2008. The series upgrade for the remaining aircraft is expected to be carried out in India from June 2010 onwards. The cost of the upgrade of the MiG-29 aircraft is 964 Million US Dollars.

This information was given by Defence Minister Shri AK Antony in a written reply to Shri Pradeep Majhi and others in Lok Sabha today.

..Azad

MIG-29, the legend still is

Any adversary fighter jet closing in, much before meeting su30mki some where midair have to breach the great wall of legendary Mig29. IAF operates some about 40 mig29, all high speed interceptors, in advance postings.

Here’s an old indepth report on Mig29, tho the report is a decade old but not much of change have been seen on basic airframes hence aerodynamics, of all the front runner in MMRC. Yes, avionic and doctrines do have a different story to tell.

http://www.lovrichfamily.com/abgpdf/How to Fly and Fight in the Mikoyan Mig-29 Fulcrum.pdf

Some of extracts from the report are:-

------The MiG-19 was years ahead of its time, as was the MiG-21, whose basic design was so right that large numbers remain in service to this day, and when modernized with contemporary avionics the aircraft still represents a potent threat-----------

---------The MiG-29 has proved to be probably the OKB's most impressive product. Intelligence sources suggested that the aircraft had been seen performing manoeuvres which 'no Western fighter could
emulate' ----------

------- the MiG-29 was an entirely original design, incorporating many advanced featuresnot seen in its Western counterparts, and actually more aerodynamically advanced than any Western type.

-------They saw the incredible turn performance, high Alpha and post-stall capabilities of the aircraft, and immediately assumed that it would be unbeatable in air-to-air combat.--------------

--------There is now little argument with the fact that the MiG-29 is the most aerodynamically advanced aircraft of its generation, nor with the fact that it is probably the world's best close-in dogfighter.-----------

---------India is a major operator of the first-generation MiG-29, with three frontline squadrons. Remarkably, the Indian Air Force has since purchased Su-30MKIs for the ground attack role, rather than the probably superior MIG-29M, which would have had greater commonality with the country's existing aircraft.

A whole decade after, coping with all kinds of problems be it finance or future orders, MIG’s have come a long way, even matching with western avionics and pilot friendly cockpits. And not to forget its legendary agility. So much so that Indian navy have gone for Mig29K/KUB.

With the basic know how and infrastructure for maintenance of mig29 and now a whole manufacturing industry of Russian aircrafts, in and around Nasik. As per a report in recent defence mag, India is now manufacturing and fabricating all the 40,000 Su30 parts under the watchfull eyes of Sukhoi engineers.

Going by all this and assuming Russians have incorporated plasma stealth with Mig-35. I hope soon we will see them with IAF colors.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
What is the point to be noted here MIG 29 assembly is not that hi fi as compare to the what US has fielded.

I guess that Russian tend to concentrate on the product rather then all the showbusiness which the USA has perfected as an art.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles