IAF fighter shoots down suspicious object in Rajasthan.

aditya g

Country flag
An air to air kill, even if it is of a balloon should be seen as an accomplishment by the IAF. The whole kill chain leading to the trigger pull has a lot of actors and things which could have gone wrong.

I am actually amazed that a balloon could be detected at all. Further it must have been difficult for the Su-30MKI pilot to line up the relatively slow moving target and hit it with guns.

I hope IAF releases the gun camera or HUD camera shots!

Harinath

Country flag
We need cheaper ways to deal with these low cost intrusions like balloons. We can't launch a SU30 every time something is spotted. We have those air defense guns, they should be put in the front line to tackle low flying objects.

I think we already have those machines, dont we?

aditya g

Country flag
yes but the kosen is how many are berking i mean working :biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2: and battle ready ?????
First of all there was no way for an air defence gun to intercept a high flying balloon. Secondly, these systems work when the bogey is inbound to your location and not flying in some general direction.

In this instance the IAF successfully executed the complete kill chain and shot down the balloon. Job well done.

Is there a point to your hai tauba post?

Nuvneet Kundu

First of all there was no way for an air defence gun to intercept a high flying balloon. Secondly, these systems work when the bogey is inbound to your location and not flying in some general direction.

In this instance the IAF successfully executed the complete kill chain and shot down the balloon. Job well done.

There reason people are asking is because of incomplete and irresponsible reporting. All news reports say 'balloon', without revealing the nature of the balloon, was it a large aerostat type ISR balloon, was it a weather balloon? The use of the word 'balloon' is deliberate to make the Indian response seem disproportionate and hyperactive. This is the reason people are asking if there is a cheaper way to shoot down balloons instead of scrambling our cutting edge planes.

aditya g

Country flag
... people are asking if there is a cheaper way to shoot down balloons instead of scrambling our cutting edge planes.
This is a very strange critique you have of the operation.

The news article clearly mentions that it was too high for hepters to intercept, even so, what could a Mi-17 have done? Was it any cheaper if a Mi-35 had done it? There is no way an air defence gun could have reached that altitude either. Do Mi-35s even have speed to intercept a balloon moving in a jet stream?

When the bogey was sighted by the Radar, they scrambled the available asset - in this case Su-30MKI. The bogey was flying 7.9 Km and a certain vector in space. This was the most optimum asset on hand to deal with this "UFO" at that moment. IAF always does eye ball confirmation before shooting down a target in peace time.

Blackwater

yes kosen is still dare. how many tanguska berking and battle ready in india army?????:biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

answer u know my friend .....less than 50%:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

su35

Country flag
yes kosen is still dare. how many tanguska berking and battle ready in india army?????:biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

answer u know my friend .....less than 50%:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Tunguska have very less range (both gun and missile). These are designed to protect Advancing tank columns during war not to stand near border and shoot balloons. They may be present in their tank regiment center. It would have taken much time to bring them to site of action. IAF may have decided not to take risk.
Tunguska availability is less, I think India should buy Panstir

Nuvneet Kundu

Tunguska have very less range (both gun and missile). These are designed to protect Advancing tank columns during war not to stand near border and shoot balloons. They may be present in their tank regiment center. It would have taken much time to bring them to site of action. IAF may have decided not to take risk.
Tunguska availability is less, I think India should buy Panstir
Tunguska has a radar tracking range of 30Km and shooting range of 15Km. Was the balloon flying higher than 15Km?

su35

Country flag
I do not have any report or news how much high balloon was flying. please share

Global Defence

New threads

Articles