IAF Chooses Apache AH-64E Attack Helicopter

charlie

Country flag
Since the range of longbow radar is less than 15km and it has very low peak power, even if the data was shareable, it will be of little use. It is unlikely that the radar is able to capture all the data around due to its low power nor will it be able to help buddies outside the close radius. Theoretically, the data sharing is a good idea but it is not always practical in all scenarios and involves some confusion as to when the buddy helicopter must connect or disconnect when the two move away or nearby.

It is better that a MALE UAV is flying above and guiding dozens of helicopters with its SAR radar that has significant guidance range of 35km radius and can look clearly from the top
Well let me put it this way you are seeing apache in IAF colors because of the longbow radar, otherwise it's just another helicopter. With longbow the helicopter does not even have to see the target visually.

Well a other helicopter can only help depending on the range of hell fire missile it carries.
http://www.northropgrumman.com/Capabilities/LONGBOWFireControlRadar/Documents/longbow.pdf

Data sharing is not even future it's all ready implemented in large scale. it's all seamless communication there is no confusion when the buddy helicopter must connect or disconnect it's done automatically. The theory of using longbow is like a wolf attack.

Well apache BKIII can take control till level 4 when it comes to UAV.

• Level 1 Receipt and transmission of secondary imagery or data.
    Level 2 Receipt of imagery or data directly from the UAV.
    Level 3 Control of the UAV payload.
    Level 4 Control of the UAV, less takeoff and landing.
    Level 5 Full function and control of the UAV to include takeoff and landing.

U.S. Army testing shows integrated capabilities enhance the Apache lethality fourfold and survivability sevenfold.
https://www.lockheedmartin.com/en-us/products/longbow-fire-control-radar-missile.html

Last edited:

Kshithij

DharmaYoddha
Well let me put it this way you are seeing apache in IAF colors because of the longbow radar, otherwise it's just another helicopter. With longbow the helicopter does not even have to see the target visually.

Well a other helicopter can only help depending on the range of hell fire missile it carries.
http://www.northropgrumman.com/Capabilities/LONGBOWFireControlRadar/Documents/longbow.pdf

Data sharing is not even future it's all ready implemented in large scale. it's all seamless communication there is no confusion when the buddy helicopter must connect or disconnect it's done automatically. The theory of using longbow is like a wolf attack.

Well apache BKIII can take control till level 4 when it comes to UAV.

• Level 1 Receipt and transmission of secondary imagery or data.
    Level 2 Receipt of imagery or data directly from the UAV.
    Level 3 Control of the UAV payload.
    Level 4 Control of the UAV, less takeoff and landing.
    Level 5 Full function and control of the UAV to include takeoff and landing.

U.S. Army testing shows integrated capabilities enhance the Apache lethality fourfold and survivability sevenfold.
https://www.lockheedmartin.com/en-us/products/longbow-fire-control-radar-missile.html
I know of the longbow radar and connectivity. I am only saying that UAV surveillance is better. Helicopters fly close to the ground and tehre will be many obstruction like trees, mountains etc from communicating with other helicopters.

charlie

Country flag
I know of the longbow radar and connectivity. I am only saying that UAV surveillance is better. Helicopters fly close to the ground and tehre will be many obstruction like trees, mountains etc from communicating with other helicopters.
comms is not obstructed by trees or by mountains it has satcom in case of non light of sight comms.

Surveillance yes, UAV is much better, but Longbow primary function is not surveillance. it's more of coordination and target designation purpose.

old video but a good one was posted here before.

WolfPack86

Country flag
Can't get enough of the Apache in Indian Colors? Neither can we!

The Indian Air Force's AH-64E "Guardian" is the new designation allocated to Block III upgrade of the AH-64D Longbow.

Block III builds on existing Block II architecture and features total of 25 technology insertions dominated by provision of network-centric capability, permitting interface with mobile infantry and armored brigades.

Other enhancements include open systems architecture, wideband network communications, Link 16 digital datalink, T700-GE-701D engine, extended range Longbow fire control radar and missile armament and data fusion to merge imagery from onboard and remote sensor systems.

New composites for main rotor adopted as part of Block III enhancements, with the overall size being 15 cm (6 in) longer than existing blade on older models, generates an extra 227 kg (500 lb) of lift at 1,830 m (6,000 ft) at 35°C. It is also interchangeable with present metal blades. A more durable and uprated 2,530 kW (3,400 shp) gearbox also installed.

The Apache can also receive live imagery from UAVs and the copilot can control the unmanned vehicle for additional surveillance and target reconnaissance.
https://www.facebook.com/pg/TejasMrca/photos/?ref=page_internal

charlie

Country flag

wairoa

Country flag
Anybody know when India will start receiving these machines?

wairoa

Country flag
Apache is due to start in March 2019,chinook in July 2019.
Thanks. That is awesome. Nice aircraft. How effective are the Indian military logistics and supply chains? Just wondering how they will be able to maintain so many different aircraft from both west and non western nations effectively.
In saying that, nobody probably does this as well as India as they have worked with a huge diversity of equipment from around the world for decades.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Thanks. That is awesome. Nice aircraft. How effective are the Indian military logistics and supply chains? Just wondering how they will be able to maintain so many different aircraft from both west and non western nations effectively.
In saying that, nobody probably does this as well as India as they have worked with a huge diversity of equipment from around the world for decades.
American equipment comes with maintenance built into the contract, moreover boeing had already supplied P-8I to indian navy so the support system is already in place.

Boeing also has offices in india, i think there is also a software dev. department operating out of bangalore.

Last edited:

wairoa

Country flag
American equipment comes with maintenance built into the contract, moreover boeing had already supplied P-8I to indian navy so the support system is already in place.

Boeing also has offices in india, i think there is also a software dev. department operating out of bangalore.
That is interesting. Did India ever look at the Japanese ASW plane? I know New Zealand did, but they went with the P8 also.
I assumed the Russians would include maintenance in their offers as well?
Boeing seems to be a decent company. Although, I think they are becoming increasingly greedy.

MIDKNIGHT FENERIR-00

VICTORIOUM AUT MORS

I Hope IAF don’t crash these into ground since we just bought them recently and each cost millions.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles