IAF Airbase Nyama In Eastern Ladakh To Become Operational

A.V.

After the successfullreopening Daulat Beg Oldi and Fuk Che airfields in Ladakh last year, India is now working to soon open the Neoma Advanced Landing Ground (ALG) this year for the Indian Air Force (IAF) which is situated close to the Line of Actual Control (LAC) with China.

Alhough these airfields will be used primarily to support troop movement in event of a crisis , these should be ready for tourism . In a later phase, the airfield at Neoma will also be converted into a full fledged runway .

"This new ALG is coming up at Neoma in east Ladakh, which will, in all probability, be converted into a full fledged runway, like any other runway to cater for the future tourism requirements also in the region," IAF's Western Air Command Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief Air Marshal P K Barbora told reporters. Neoma is not as close to the LAC as Daulat Beg Oldi or Fuk Che are, but it will be close enough to support military operations too. The airfields were operated by the Indian armed forces during the 1962 Sino-Indian war, but closed a few years later. "Not as close (to China) as DBO, Chushul or Fuk Che. But it is in a pretty comfortable place," Barbora said.

news extracts and confirmed by :- india-defence.com
ploads/2009

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Will the IAF station MKIs at this base?

kuku

Respected Member
Country flag
Could someone post links where pics of IAF operating in leh&Laddak can be found?

A.V.

Will the IAF station MKIs at this base?
posting MKIs there is still a faw away issue it just an advanced landing ground now that is becoming operational so later they are looking to expand it to a full fledged runway there there comes the possibility of even thinking about MKI s there are no official confirmation on this issue about stationing MKIs there.
as per my opinion out of the 3 airfields that have recently become operational one must have the MKIs it will be a potent strategy rest is for the iaf to decide about operational details.

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Advanced Landing Grounds are mainly used for troop transport to the forward areas and for emergency landings of aircrafts. The fighters aren't based there. Fighters operate from there only during wartime.

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
IAF to develop airstrip near Sino-India border in Ladakh

IAF to develop airstrip near Sino-India border in Ladakh
PTI 30 July 2009, 03:58pm IST

DRASS (J&K): As part of moves to speedily build communication infrastructure on the Chinese frontier, IAF has finalised plans to set up another airstrip in Ladakh.

IAF is planning to set up a full-fledged airstrip at Niyoma near the district capital Leh to strengthen air maintenance for far-flung posts as well as to give a boost to tourism in the picturesque area, often referred to as 'Moonland'.

The Airforce, as part of its forward policy, has already recommissioned two airstrips at Daulat Begh Oldi near the Karakoram pass and at Fukche in central Ladakh and Niyoma would be the third airbase to come up, according to Air Officer Commanding (AOC), Jammu and Kashmir, Air Marshal J Chouhan said.

"After Daulat Begh Oldi airbase, another one is coming up in Indus valley in Niyoma where we are developing an airstrip," he said.

"We will carry out trial landings probably later this year. Building an airfield is a massive job. To make it operational, it will take some more time," the officer said.

The project also aims at boosting tourism sector. "This air strip could be used both for tourism and for our own purpose," Chouhan said.

IAF to develop airstrip near Sino-India border in Ladakh - India - NEWS - The Times of India

venom

DFI Technocrat
One more punch on china's face.....ha ha

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
At least now India has woken up to the Dragon's threat. Air power is very important in that region as it makes troop movements easier. Para dropping troops and very good helicopters might help in moving the soldiers quickly to the front and placing them behind enemy lines. The terrain also prohibits massive armour and IFV movement. Gunships must be placed there according to me.

Vikramaditya

Country flag
Good to be prepared but i think INDIA should do friendship with CHINA we can't trust WEST man.
If we succeed,good for use and slap on pak face which is trying to use chinese against us even they have given their own land to them for that.........

Vikramaditya

Country flag
"Make the lie big, make it simple, keep saying it, and eventually they will believe it.
-Adolf Hitler"

ONE OF OUR NEIGHBOUR IS USING THIS FORM LONG TIMEeeeeeeeeeeeeeee............

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Good to be prepared but i think INDIA should do friendship with CHINA we can't trust WEST man.
If we succeed,good for use and slap on pak face which is trying to use chinese against us even they have given their own land to them for that.........
Mate Chinese aren't stupid to go to war with us...both have a lot to lose. But with our western neighbor things are different. Animosity towards India is the only binding factor in their country. And that too nowadays is quite questionable because of the economic boom they are seeing first hand and the power that India wields in International fora and the way our conglomerates are moving forward. Remember lad the Chinese will fight India till the last Pakistani is left standing.

venom

DFI Technocrat
The next step should be the deployment of Su-30MKI on the base. It will give India a Huge Advantage if Su-30MKI's are stationed at this base.

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
^^ And, we must speed up induction of the MKIs... AKA confirmed in a statement to Parliament that we have only 98 MKIs operational and more are yet to come... we need to bolster this number and also speed up the MRCA...

Vikramaditya

Country flag
What are we going to improve relation with china???????????????????
I mean trade is diffrent,but we should do some defence project also.
I belive in BRIC with SOUTH AFRICA as BRICSA and make it as good as NATO or better than that.....
GOOD for India,Asia and Indian Ocean...........

Vikramaditya

Country flag
^^ And, we must speed up induction of the MKIs... AKA confirmed in a statement to Parliament that we have only 98 MKIs operational and more are yet to come... we need to bolster this number and also speed up the MRCA...
Thats not a CAKE, it will take time.
Although Russia is involve in some big projects(eg.. FGFA), and may be financial problem....

But still we should try to complete it as soon as possible...

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
What are we going to improve relation with china???????????????????
I mean trade is diffrent,but we should do some defence project also.
I belive in BRIC with SOUTH AFRICA as BRICSA and make it as good as NATO or better than that.....
GOOD for India,Asia and Indian Ocean...........
Wow.. and here comes the next best defence analyst of the world.
India and China aren't two 4 year old boys, that after fighting they'll just gel up by giving each other lollypops.

Grow up beyond "slapping" Pakistan's face. Pakistan is not using China against us. Its the other way round. Pakistan is being used to "contain" India's influence in South Asia.

Alliances are not forged out of nowhere. You can't pick out any two random countries from an Atlas and say, "They should become friends !"

Grow up kiddo.

indian_blues

Country flag
I think it might send wrong signal to china? do we really need a airstrip overthere? how can it help for tourisim?

prahladh

Respected Member
Its my country and I will build what ever I want? To Hell with others

natarajan

chinese are not silient or mute on other side but they are deploying missiles and silos,majority of the forces are in indian border so why not we?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles