IAC-II: India starts work on second indigenous aircraft carrier

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Published July 16, 2012 | By admin
SOURCE: PTI

India has started working on its secondindigenous aircraft carrier even as the construction of the first one has been marred by delay of over two years. The Indigenous Aircraft Carrier ( IAC)-II would be the largest ship in terms of the weight and size to have ever been built by the Navy, Navy sources said here.

On the delays in the IAC-I, they said against the December 2010 timeline, the Navy was now planning to launch it by the end of this year or early next year.

Sources said delays in the warship project were caused mainly due to problems in its gearbox, they said.

The 40,000 tonne IAC-I is being constructed by the Kochin Shipyard in Kerala and is so far the biggest warship project undertaken in the country.

At its now expected induction timeline of 2017, it would be the second largest warship after the Russian-originAdmiral Gorshkov, which is set to arrive in India by March next year.

They said the IAC-I has two very large gear boxes weighing around 90 tonnes each– the largest-ever to have been handled by the Navy.

Asked about the specifications of the IAC-2, Navy sources said the work was going on and a number of design options were being explored.

Navy sources expressed hope that by the time the IAC-II would be ready, the indigenously-built Naval Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) would also be fully mature for operating on it.

On the Shivalik Class frigate INS Sahyadri to be commissioned in to the Navy on July 21, Navy officials said it was the last ship of its class Project 17. They said the work on the next Project 17A has already started.
India starts work on second indigenous aircraft carrier | idrw.org

A chauhan

Country flag
Yeah I don't see any point in delaying the second IAC project, because IAC-I is delayed due to gearbox issue, till they solve that issue, they can start working on IAC-II and make considerable progress in it.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Yeah I don't see any point in delaying the second IAC project, because IAC-I is delayed due to gearbox issue, till they solve that issue, they can start working on IAC-II and make considerable progress in it.
I hope for a provision for interim availability of a contingency fund to pre book essential hardware such as the gearbox so that the same issue do not get repeated again and again.

As I think for the time being only works on design have been commenced and no fund sanctioned.

Country flag
India starts work on second indigenous aircraft carrier

India starts work on second indigenous aircraft carrier - India News - IBNLive

New Delhi: India has started working on its second indigenous aircraft carrier even as the construction of the first one has been marred by delay of over two years.
The Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IAC)-II would be the largest ship in terms of the weight and size to have ever been built by the Navy, Navy sources said. On the delays in the IAC-I, they said against the December 2010 timeline, the Navy was now planning to launch it by the end of this year or early next year.
Sources said delays in the warship project were caused mainly due to problems in its gearbox, they said. The 40,000 tonne IAC-I is being constructed by the Kochin Shipyard in Kerala and is so far the biggest warship project undertaken in the country.

At its now expected induction timeline of 2017, it would be the second largest warship after the Russian-origin Admiral Gorshkov, which is set to arrive in India by March next year.
They said the IAC-I has two very large gear boxes weighing around 90 tonnes each-- the largest-ever to have been handled by the Navy.
Asked about the specifications of the IAC-2, Navy sources said the work was going on and a number of design options were being explored.
Navy sources expressed hope that by the time the IAC-II would be ready, the indigenously-built Naval Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) would also be fully mature for operating on it.
On the Shivalik Class frigate INS Sahyadri to be commissioned in to the Navy on July 21, Navy officials said it was the last ship of its class Project 17. They said the work on the next Project 17A has already started.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Re: India starts work on second indigenous aircraft carrier

Get the first one right plzzz

trackwhack

Get the first one right plzzz
A delay in the first does not mean a delay in the next. Must you compulsorily wear your troll hat once a day?

GromHellscream

A delay in the first does not mean a delay in the next. Must you compulsorily wear your troll hat once a day?
To design a carrier is not a game of rolling the dice. But not a surprise, cause that's the way how indians manage projects.

trackwhack

To design a carrier is not a game of rolling the dice. But not a surprise, cause that's the way how indians manage projects.
Jealous much that we started with our second aircraft carrier while you are still trying to get that rust bucket from Ukraine to float?

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Its okay to review designs, but seriously do not start the second until you work out kinks of the first. The whole point was to be a learning curve, not flat line.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The people in charge have idea of this situation at full extend, Only then they are going for second carrier, Besides working on second will take time with available resource and men ready, I see no problems here..

trackwhack

Its okay to review designs, but seriously do not start the second until you work out kinks of the first. The whole point was to be a learning curve, not flat line.
The hull does not need any major design reviews. Cochin shipyard has built massive tankers before. There is no need to wait until the first is over.

p2prada

They must have started or in the process of starting the design phase of the IAC-2, quite like how AMCA's design phase has started well before LCA is even ready for IOC.

Construction may happen on a later date. Looking at the articles, it would seem IAC-2 would be a 2020+ project.

john70

Country flag
Another Aircraft Carrier In The Making : Is It A Wise Decision?

Another Aircraft Carrier In The Making : Is It A Wise Decision?

Defence News - Another Aircraft Carrier In The Making : Is It A Wise Decision?

The new IAC - II, WILL BE CALLED VISHAL :

The second indigenous carrier to be called VISHAL (Massively Mighty) which would have displacement of massive 65,000 tons i.e. 25,000 tons heavier than the first indegenous carrier, the Vikrant.

On India's decision to begin its second indigenous aircraft carrier; the Observers started questioning how wise it is on the Indian part to do so when India's first indigenous carrier is facing delays of more than two years because of the technical issues and India's quest to resurrect a Russian carrier that has been beset by yeas of delays and multi-millions in cost spending?

It is proposed that the second indigenous carrier to be called VISHAL (Massively Mighty) which would have displacement of massive 65,000 tons i.e. 25,000 tons heavier than the first indegenous carrier, the Vikrant.

Vishal will be operating larger fighter aircraft and would be featuring steam catapults, and carry an airborne early-warning (AEW) system and aerial refuelers. Vishal would also be the hanger for the naval versions of the Light Combat Aircraft, which is in development.
Zachariah Mathews, a retired Navy commodore and defense analyst questioned the need to spend money on a second carrier at this stage, on the contrary an Indian Navy Official declared that India will need at least needs three aircraft carriers.

Zachariah Mathews added that "The Indian Navy needs to meet other priorities, including adding more warships and assets now. The carrier is not a top priority,"

While Vishal's design is not finalized, sources said the carrier was originally planned to be 44,000 tons in 2010 before that was changed to 65,000. Vishal would carry an array of more advance aircrafts like Russian Su-33 and MiG-35 and also the AEW aircrafts.

agentperry

its because we dont have much time to make indian ocean that tougher for plan as it is now

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The work is started..

1. The have to deign the ship.

2. They have to allocate material and men to designated sight.

3. Work will start.

There will be many Problems in project way like deign change, labor problems lack of equipment and lack of technology..

Early it start better it is..

A chauhan

Country flag
By starting it now they can save at least 2-4 years of time!

mikhail

Country flag
can anybody tell me what's the possible timeline for the delivery of the IAC-2?and as we all know that the IN has already projected a need for atleast 3 a/c carriers,so my question is after the delivery of the IAC-1 in about 2017 can we continue to operate the INS Viraat for a couple of years until the induction of IAC-2 though the end life of Viraat is nearing but can an extensive reffiting make her sea worthy for a couple of years more?also can we redisgn INS Viraat as a STOBAR carrier so that the new mig-29k can operate from it?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles