I haven't seen a film in 50 years: APJ Abdul Kalam

RPK

Indyakudimahan
Country flag
I haven't seen a film in 50 years: APJ Abdul Kalam

Mumbai: He was here on a hop-in-hop-out tour of Mumbai, a book launch one night, followed by at least four events packed into a single day, but ex-president Avul Pakir Jainulabdeen Abdul Kalam, shakes off the brunt of the schedule, his trademark locks rising above a cheerful demeanour that belies his age. "You know, I started early at nine am," he smiles, referring to his day out.

Former president APJ Abdul Kalam tells DNA that his life now revolves around music, friends and teaching.What seems to have erased any hint of his arduous schedule is Kalam's own sense of belonging here. "Mumbai is such a heroic city", he says leaning forward with a twinkle in his eye, adding, "It reminds me of something my teacher taught me. She said, 'If you choose to embark on complex missions, there will also be complex problems, but you must learn to be captain of them, overcome them. The people in Mumbai are like that," he added.

But what made the trip extra special for Kalam was his friend, Rusi Lala (the official biographer of the late JRD Tata), who recently released his own autobiography. "I had to be here for someone who has put faith into so many people," he said. Kalam, a best-selling author himself, admits it left him delighted. "I have orbited the sun 77 times, not yet 78, mind you, and here I am, celebrating this 81-year young scholar." Lala's book, The Thread of God in My Life, "Moved me to tears," admitted Kalam. "I read it from eight in the night to three in the morning at a continuous pace."

As he partook of a simple cup of chai with his idlis and sambhar, clearly the vestiges of his presidential responsibilities have receded, allowing him more time to engage in more preferred pursuits. "Well, I still teach, and then I enjoy my music too - it really puts me in high spirits. I'm especially fond of Carnatic music. It elevates the mood when you are feeling depressed."

It's also known that one of Kalam's favourite pastimes is to pluck at a veena. "I had learnt it long ago, but I haven't been able to practice much," he confesses.But while he may engage in other astral pursuits, Bollywood stars haven't managed to make an impact on Kalam yet. "I haven't seen a film in 50 years," he declares.

In a day's work
Inauguration of St Xavier's Malhar conclave
OPPAsymposium at ITC Grand Central
Inauguration of Indian Music Academy Forum
Speech at Veermata Jijabai Tech Institute

RAM

The southern Man
Country flag
very true...very unique personality

Flint

He is an inspiration. A true Indian Hero. Not that I need to state the obvious.

S.A.T.A

Not even a passing glance on TV,Iam sure Air India presidential special flights played some of them...............touch difficult to digest that Mr President.

Speaking of Bollywood, Dr kalam can rest assured that he hasn't missed anything in all those intervening years :)

IBRIS

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Thats why he acomplished in his goals and gave India the gift we can be proud of.

bhramos

Country flag
thats great man , to become Big we should not have any aggregation's towards any bad habits like drinking, smoking, cinema so on...........
good message sir.
Hats off to u sir,
hi blues
we are known forgiving even our enemies, but y our brothers leave it yaar,

Jeet

its good that he didnt watch,, 50% of the movies have same story and remaining 50% dont even have story...

Global Defence

New threads

Articles