Hypersonic Missiles

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
This will probably be a test for the autonomous breathing for full 20 secs all ground tests have been completed

HSTDV

Hypersonic Technology Demonstrator Vehicle programme is to demonstrate a scramjet engine integrated vehicle performance in autonomous mode. In addition to provingthe design and performance of the scramjet engine the HSTDVwill also be able to prove the associated technologies including aerodynamic design, aero-thermal design, materials and hot structures at hypersonic flight Mach numbers. The HSTDV mission involves launching the hypersonic air-breathing vehicle called Cruise Vehicle (CV) to a Mach number of 6.5 at an altitude of 30-35 km using a rocket launch vehicle.

A single scramjet engine burning kerosene fuel powers the cruise vehicle for a sustained operation of 20 second duration.
View attachment 8358

View attachment 8359

View attachment 8360

View attachment 8361

View attachment 8362

View attachment 8363

View attachment 8364
Mach 6.5 is eventual target. In 2010, it was said that a new facility is planned to be established to get 12 Mach speed.
http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gene...channel=defense&id=news/asd/2010/11/22/10.xml

So, my questions:
1. Can we compare to Russian, American and Chinese HGVs?
2. HSTDV involves currently target of getting speed Mach 6.5. So, when do you think we could achieve 12 Mach?
You know, commies too have achieved 14 Mach.

no smoking

Country flag
Mach 6.5 is eventual target. In 2010, it was said that a new facility is planned to be established to get 12 Mach speed.
http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gene...channel=defense&id=news/asd/2010/11/22/10.xml

So, my questions:
2. HSTDV involves currently target of getting speed Mach 6.5. So, when do you think we could achieve 12 Mach?
Speed is not the first concern in this kind of weapon, controllable maneuvering is.
The idea of these weapons is make the warhead glide within a large range by the control of commanding centre after re-entering the atmosphere. In order to control the gliding of warhead, you need to keep communication during the whole process, which can only work under the speed of 10M.

So, no, currently all 3 are working on the speed between 5-10M. Actually, people suspects the failure of US early tests were due to that they failed to slow down the speed under 10M.

warrior monk

So, my questions:

This can happen only if current tests are successful , the biggest problem is combustion in supersonic flows , hydrogen fuel instead of plain aviation grade kerosene or even mixed kerosene and hydrogen fuel . The biggest problem as mentioned is supersonic combuster flow field , shock interaction , turbulent mixing in supersonic combustion , combuster geometry , burner stagnation temperature etc at high Mach number with further research we will be able to achieve it .

Combuster testing
upload_2016-4-21_19-13-55.png

TEST CONDITIONS
1) FLIGHT MACH NO : 6.5
2) ALTITUDE SIMULATED : 35KM
3) COMBUSTOR ENTRY MACH NO : 2.4
4) BURNER STAGNATION TEMPERATURE : 1500 K
5) AIR FLOW RATE (TOTAL ) : 1 kg/s
6) FUEL FLOW RATE
KEROSENE FUEL :22 gm/s (? = 0.40).
7) TEST DURATION : 25 s

This has hydrogen fuel injection test along with kerosene fuel tests
upload_2016-4-21_19-14-29.png

Hydrogen fuel combustion flame
upload_2016-4-21_19-13-4.png

Superdefender

Russian Hypersonic ‘Zircon’ Missile To Enter Serial Production In 2018
Our Bureau
12:49 PM, April 19, 2016

Pyotr Veliky (Perter the Great) nuclear-powered missile cruiser
Russia’s hypersonic missile Tsirkon (Zircon) is expected to go into serial production in 2018, TASS reported quoting a source in the Russian military-industrial complex as saying.

"State tests of Zircon are scheduled for completion in 2017 in accordance with the contract, and the missile’s serial production is planned to be launched next year,” the source said Tuesday.

The Project 11442 Pyotr Veliky (Perter the Great) nuclear-powered missile cruiser will carry the type following its upgrade, a shipbuilding industry source told TASS. According to the source, the Pyotr Veliky cruiser will start its repairs in the third or fourth quarter of 2019. Its repairs and upgrade are planned to be complete in late 2022, with the ship to be equipped with Zircon hypersonic anti-ship missiles.

"The Admiral Nakhimov heavy missile cruiser’s deep modernization envisages the replacement of the warship’s missile strike system. As a result, the vessel will get the Zircon hypersonic missiles," the source added.

The tests of the 3K22 Zircon system are planned for completion by 2020. The system is expected to be unveiled in the air-launched and ship-based variants. Its characteristics are classified. According to open sources, the new missile’s range may reach 400 kilometers and it will travel five to six times faster than the speed of sound.
Source Link: http://www.defenseworld.net/news/15...___Missile_To_Enter_Serial_Production_In_2018

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Army To Have 2 More Regiments Of Brahmos Missile, Says Manohar Parrikar

http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/army...brahmos-missile-says-manohar-parrikar-1292641

PUNE: Two more regiments of the short-range supersonic cruise missile, Brahmos, will be inducted into Army within next fifteen days, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar said in Pune today.

"The process of induction of two more regiments (of Brahmos missile) in the Indian Army is in the final stage and within 15 days, these regiments will be inducted in Indian Army," he said.

The Defence Minister was speaking to reporters on the sidelines of the commissioning ceremony for the 50th batch of medical graduates of all three forces at the Armed Forces Medical College.

Army is already equipped with three regiments of Block III version of Brahmos missiles. The proposed induction will upgrade its air defence capabilities.

Meanwhile, Mr Parrikar dismissed reports that central government was inclined to buy Israeli missiles rather than inducting domestically-manufactured 'Akash' in Army.

"Akash is already being inducted in Army and we are also developing very short missiles and till we develop them successfully, some missiles might have to be brought from outside," he said.

The minister said the "non-operational flab" in the armed forces needs to be slashed.

"I have asked Army, Air Force and Navy to identify the flab areas in their respective forces as there is a lot of unwanted flab which has been continuing due to systematic problems that need to be trimmed," he said.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
@LETHALFORCE , the source you posted is mentioning about the present and future orders of 1000 and export potential of 2000.

But the maths doesn't add up. IA has four regiments of Brahmos.

Battery - 4 to 6 launchers with three missiles each, i.e. 12-18 ready to fire missiles.

Regiment - 3 x Batteries gives us 54-72 missiles, ready to fire.

Complete ready to fire number could be 108-144.

Lets assume a reloader for each launcher with 3 missiles. So additional 108-144. Plus two or maybe even three reloads worth in store. It should give us anywhere between 540-720. And keep in mind that the fourth regiment was ordered late i.e for mountain strike corps.

Order for 216 Brahmos-A also don't make much sense when the lighter but "equally effective" Brahmos-NG is in works. Which begs the question why would IAF order this huge amount of heavier version when lighter one will be available to them in few years or it could be that they are downplaying the range of Brahmos-A.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/india/brahmos.htm

As per the link above,

"Both Army and Navy are inducting the BrahMos Block-I missiles. While Army had ordered two BrahMos regiments in the first phase at a cost of Rs 8,352 crore, with 134 missiles, 10 road-mobile autonomous launchers on 12×12 Tatra vehicles and four mobile command posts, the Navy had ordered 49 BrahMos firing units at a cost of Rs 711 crore. As of early 2008 DRDO officials claimed that BrahMos would be able to start deliveries of the 240 missiles ordered by the Army in two years as per the original schedule. The Army had already inducted one regiment of the Block I version of the missile."

This means 1 regiment = 67 Brahmos missiles + 5 carriers + 2 command posts.

Country flag
@LETHALFORCE Difference between Brahmos block 1, 2 and 3 is?
There is no block two or three yet.

I have no details of block three but block two is suppose to have a speed of Mach 5-7 and longer range since if it will be indigenously
Developed if jointly with Russia it will be 290? It is built to beat ship defense systems which have advanced to a point of being able to intercept missiles upto mach 3 including brahmos
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Superdefender

There is no block two or three yet.

I have no details of block three but block two is suppose to have a speed of Mach 5-7 and longer range since if it will be indigenously
Developed if jointly with Russia it will be 290? It is built to beat ship defense systems which have advanced to a point of being able to intercept missiles upto mach 3 including brahmos
Err...I think you just explained him about Brohmos 2 aka Zircon. He was asking about block versions.

Gessler

Country flag
@LETHALFORCE Difference between Brahmos block 1, 2 and 3 is?
Well, basically...

Block-1 is for the Navy, it comprises of the ship-based versions of the missiles. Launched from VLS cells, they can carry out both anti-shipping and land-attack mission profiles.

Block-2 is Army-specific, includes all the attack profiles of the Block-1, but is designed for ground-based launching from a TEL vertical launcher.

Block-3 is a further improved version of Block-2 for Army. It introduces some new attack profiles like the Supersonic steep-dive maneuver, designed to be useful in attacking targets entrenched between mountains/valleys.

Country flag
Well, basically...

Block-1 is for the Navy, it comprises of the ship-based versions of the missiles. Launched from VLS cells, they can carry out both anti-shipping and land-attack mission profiles.

Block-2 is Army-specific, includes all the attack profiles of the Block-1, but is designed for ground-based launching from a TEL vertical launcher.

Block-3 is a further improved version of Block-2 for Army. It introduces some new attack profiles like the Supersonic steep-dive maneuver, designed to be useful in attacking targets entrenched between mountains/valleys.
Block 2 will also be for navy claiming sub and ship launches . I don't want to speculate on details of block 2 or 3 before development. Even now our Brahmos numbers took almost fifteen years to build up at this rate new tech will come before you finish induction. And still no air borne Brahmos
In large numbers

Last edited:
Country flag
http://www.janes.com/article/59686/dsa-2016-progress-reported-on-brahmos-air-launched-variant

DSA 2016: Progress reported on BrahMos air-launched variant
Reuben F Johnson, Kuala Lumpur - IHS Jane's Defence Weekly
21 April 2016
Representatives of the joint Indian-Russian missile project, BrahMos, told IHS Jane's at DSA 2016, that the final, air-launched, version of the missile is close to being operational and the final steps could be taken this year.

The missile, which is already deployed at about 10 naval vessels of the Indian Armed Forces and also operated as a ground-launched tactical missile on mobile launchers, will now be available to the air force.

The BrahMos will be carried on Indian Air Force (IAF) Sukhoi Su-30MKI aircraft. A single missile is to be mounted on a specially built pylon that is placed centreline on the aircraft.

Country flag
Err...I think you just explained him about Brohmos 2 aka Zircon. He was asking about block versions.

Most block versions of any weapon are a few updates and marketing as a newer better version. Pillai has done a good marketing job and making the Indian govt wait it out his delivery record has been terrible and has not
Delivered on anything like he claimed specifically regarding TOT. If TOT was given as he claimed India would have produced Brahmos in much larger numbers instead of waiting for components from Russia and the
Source codes were never given for brahmos

Gessler

Country flag
Block 2 will also be for navy claiming sub and ship launches .
SLCM BrahMos has been tested, but it only remains a prototype. It never received any designation, and is likely to die off at this stage itself because it is useless for IN unless we have sub-based VLS.

Within the next five years, the BrahMos-NG will be in mass production and it can be launched from any 533mm torpedo tube of existing submarines (as well as VLS if available).

I don't want to speculate on details of block 2 or 3 before development.
Block-2/3 are already fully developed & deployed.

Even now our Brahmos numbers took almost fifteen years to build up at this rate new tech will come before you finish induction. And still no air borne Brahmos
In large numbers
The Block-1/2/3 already inducted are going to stay in service for a long time and they will constantly receive upgrades which will be applied wherever possible. The BrahMos in production today is not the same one as was built in 2001-2005. Level of indigenous content in the missile is also going up batch by batch.

Currently there are 2 new-generation missiles about to come from this program...one is BrahMos-NG which is a highly modernized & refined version of the existing missile with the same capabilities, but faster, lighter & smaller. Thanks to new tech. It's principle purpose is in air and submarine-launched versions - where it will go on aircraft from which the bigger ALCM BrahMos cannot be carried or launched (like MiG-29, MMRCA, Jaguar etc.) while the SLCM will go in torpedo tubes, where again the bigger version cannot fit.

BrahMos-NG is clearly filling the gaps between each version of the existing BrahMos. It will not replace any existing missile in that specific role.

The other is the BrahMos-2, developed from the 3K22 Zircon, which would enter actual service only about a minimum 8 years from now. Eventually it is that missile which will start replacing existing ship & ground-launched Blocks.

BrahMos Aerospace JVC has their game figured out. But I agree they do need to step up their production speed.

Country flag
@Gessler

Can you give any links to deployment of Brahmos block 3 ? Who got it army or navy?

The kilo subs could never fit Brahmos I wonder if block 2 and 3 will be a little smaller?

Gessler

Country flag
@Gessler

Can you give any links to deployment of Brahmos block 3 ? Who got it army or navy?
Army. Block-III is exclusively for Army.

Can't find any links right now but supposedly, there are 2 regiments of Block-II and 2 of Block-III, with the last of which is yet to be raised - but we're very close to that.

The kilo subs could never fit Brahmos I wonder if block 2 and 3 will be a little smaller?
Blocks-1/2/3 are all the exact same size & dimensions.

Only the BrahMos-NG can fit in torpedo tubes.

MKM

Country flag
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/india/brahmos.htm

As per the link above,

"Both Army and Navy are inducting the BrahMos Block-I missiles. While Army had ordered two BrahMos regiments in the first phase at a cost of Rs 8,352 crore, with 134 missiles, 10 road-mobile autonomous launchers on 12×12 Tatra vehicles and four mobile command posts, the Navy had ordered 49 BrahMos firing units at a cost of Rs 711 crore. As of early 2008 DRDO officials claimed that BrahMos would be able to start deliveries of the 240 missiles ordered by the Army in two years as per the original schedule. The Army had already inducted one regiment of the Block I version of the missile."

This means 1 regiment = 67 Brahmos missiles + 5 carriers + 2 command posts.
Which is very expensive.
1 Brahmos = $9.320 million

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles