patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
Some defense journos.......including shiv arror doubting...the success

vampyrbladez

Country flag

Shashank Nayak

Country flag
I doubt these journalists understand nuances of the test. Casting doubt is their profession.. with "May be"s and "Could be"s they are judging Agni 1 already.
Shiv aroor and livefist are raising questions over the inducted Agni 1, conveniently forgetting that it was not a test of a off the shelf standard Agni 1. But of a missile which would have undergone heavy modifications to launch HSTDV

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Shiv aroor and livefist are raising questions over the inducted Agni 1, conveniently forgetting that it was not a test of a off the shelf standard Agni 1. But of a missile which would have undergone heavy modifications to launch HSTDV
The real question is who are his "top sources." Are they ones that would know the full parameters of the tests or just general information?

Narasimh

Country flag
Evidence based, fact based, nuanced defence journalism is missing in the country.. I can think of only Anantha Krishnan who is still better as he sticks to facts more or less.

aarav

जय परशुराम‍।
Country flag
That livefist article also included a unnamed general commenting why we even need hypersonic missile in first place or scramjet engine ,Shiv aroor guy has gone on many trips financed by western defense company recently by SAAB so don't take it as a neutral article

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
This is how hypersonic glide vehicle works...
From Russia..........
Waiting for drdo clip
I think the hypersonic glide vehicles are a waste of time. You are sacrificing speed and range for a maneuverable warhead, but it is only one warhead per missile and loses the speed and saturation of MIRVs. The only hypersonic technology worth developing is scramjets, they are the future.

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
Manu pubby says....agni 1 didn't reach the desired altitude....

Illusive

Country flag
Problems and failures are part of development process, I don't understand this obsession with 100% success rate in all tests and being worried when the systems didn't operate as planned. If these things were easy to develop we would have seen many nations working on hypersonic ramjets.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Problems and failures are part of development process, I don't understand this obsession with 100% success rate in all tests and being worried when the systems didn't operate as planned. If these things were easy to develop we would have seen many nations working on hypersonic ramjets.
The scramjet might very well have worked if the Agni hadn't lost control before reaching the desired altitude.

vampyrbladez

Country flag
DRDO calls the mission successful. Rumors are unproven. Agni 1 may have underperformed due to weight issues but HSTDV not functioning is false information as confirmed by below quote.

Describing the maiden trial of the HSTDV as successful, a DRDO scientist said, "The new technology demonstrator vehicle was tested and the observations made by the radars and tracking sensors showed that it was a success."
https://www.firstpost.com/india/ind...lls-it-a-success-military-doubts-6804061.html

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Defence sources said the HSTDV, designed to cruise at Mach 6 speed with the scramjet engine, was supposed to “fire and fly on its own” after being carried to an altitude of around 30-40 km by the solid rocket motor of an Agni-I ballistic missile in the test. “But the Agni-I booster went into an uncontrolled mode after the launch and could not achieve the desired altitude…So, the entire test flopped,” said a source.

The cruise vehicle (HSTDV) was supposed to be ejected out of the launch vehicle (Agni-I) and be propelled by the scramjet engine after it auto-ignited at the required altitude but it failed to do so during the test. The test was considered critical for the development of a hypersonic (over Mach 5 speeds) cruise missile system in the future.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...trator-vehicle-flops/articleshow/69762552.cms

Global Defence

New threads

Articles