how when and why

tantuko

i am doing my electronics and this is my final year. Generally there were few things i would like to know about the military..
the only entrance i know of when i was in school was NDA and gradually in college i got to know that you can join the armed forces through CDSe. i have this friend we grew up together,and even at the early stage during school we always dreamed of being in the armed forces.. we both had finished school together but his stream was commerce.. right now we both do want to appear for the entrances however he believes that his chances are very slim. he isnt a graduate as he got some few back papers he has to appear for.he is 23 years old,what we want to know is,can he still appear for the NDA? and are the escalations true that if a person has body art(tattoos),he is not eligible for the indian armed forces inspite of being medically fit as its permitted in some countries..:help:

ppgj

National Defence Academy, NDA Pune | Admission Details

Admission Details
Eligibility Criteria
XII Class / Equivalent passed certificate conducted by State Board / Universities. Candidate appearing for above examination can also apply.
Unmarried male candidates only
Age between 16 1/2 to 19 years
Nationality - A candidate must be either:
A citizen of India, or
A subject of Bhutan, or
A subject of Nepal, or
A Tibetan refugee who came over to India before 1st January, 1962, with the intention of permanently settling in India, or
A person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka, the East African countries of Kenya, Uganda, United Republic of Tanzania (formerly Tanganyika and Zambia, Malawi, Zaire and Ethiopia and Vietnam, with the intention of permanently setting in India)
Provided that a candidate belonging to categories (ii), (iii), (iv) and (v) above shall be a person in whose favour a certificate of eligibility has been issued by the Government of India. Certificate of eligibility will not, however, be necessary in the case of candidates who are Gorkha subjects of Nepal.

Admission Form
About a year before the commencement of a Course, a brief notice appears in the leading daily newspapers and a detailed notification in the Government of India Gazette, offering about the entrance examination to be held by the UPSC six months later at Agartala, Ahmedabad, Aizwal, Allahabad, Bangalore, Bareilly, Bhopal, Mumbai, Calcutta, Chandigarh, Cochin, Cuttack, Delhi, Dharwar, Dispur (Guwahati), Gangtok, Hyderabad, Imphal, Itanagar, Jaipur, Jammu, Jorhat, Kavaratti (Lakshadweep), Kohima, Lucknow, Madras, Madurai, Nagpur, Panji (Goa), Patna, Port Blair, Raipur, Sambalpur, Shillong, Shimla, Srinagar, Tirupati, Trivandrum, Udaipur and Vishakhapatnam.
How to Apply
A candidate seeking admission to the examination must apply to the Secretary, Union Public Service Commission, Dholpur, House, New Delhi-110011, on the application form published in newspapers. The candidates may utilise the original form published in newspapers or in "Employment News" and fill up the columns in their own handwriting with ball-point pen. They may also use the application form and the Attendance Sheet neatly typewritten on white paper (foolscap size) in double space typed on only one side of th,e paper. There is no objection to candidates using printed/Application Form and Attendance Sheet, if available, from private agencies as long as the format is exactly the same as published in the advertisement. Candidates who have appeared for the previous examinations will not be considered. The envelope containing the application should be superscribed in bold letters as "APPLICATION FOR NATIONAL ACADEMY EXAMINATION" .
Selection Procedure
The process of selecting cadets for the National Defence Academy is split into three phases :
A written examination held by the Union Public Service Commission.
An interview by the Service Selection Board to assess a candidate's officer potentialities ( Intelligence and personality test ).
A medical examination by a Service Medical Board.
Scheme of the Examination
The subjects of the written examination, the time allowed and the maximum marks allotted to each subject are as follows :Subject Code Duration Max Marks
Mathematics 01 2 1/2 hours 300
General Ability 02 2 1/2 hours 600

The papers in all the subjects will consist of objective type questions only. the question papers (Test Booklets) will be set in English only.
Syllabus for Entrance Examination
Paper I - Mathematics : (Maximum Marks 300)
Arithmetic, Mensuration, Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry, Statistics.
Paper II - General Ability
Part A - English (Maximum Marks 200)
Part B - General Knowledge (Maximum Marks 400)

Section A (Physics)
Section B (Chemistry)
Section C (General Science)
Section D (History, Freedom Movement etc)
Section E (Geography)
Section F (Current Event)

Note : Out of the maximum marks assigned to Part B of this paper, questions on Sections A, B, C, D, E and F carry approximately 25%, 15%, 10%, 20%, 20% and 10% weightage respectively.

For more details please refer to Advertisement, along with APPLICATION FORM and detailed subject-wise Prospectus published by the UPSC every six months, i.e. April / May and October / November in all the local newspapers and Employment News.
Syllabus During Training Period (Academics)Science Stream (B. Sc.) / B. Sc. (Computer Science) Social Science Stream (B.A)
COMPULSORY (CREDIT SUBJECTS) (Any Three)
Physics (Compulsory)
Chemistry
Mathematics (Compulsory)
Computer Science History
Geography
Economics
Political Science
Cross Stream Subjects (Non-Credit) (Any 3)
History
Geography
Economics
Political Science Physics
Chemistry
Mathematics
Common Non-Credit Subjects
Workshop
Auto
Area Study
Military History
Common Non-Credit Subjects
Common Service Subject - CSS (I to V Semesters)
Special Service Subject - SSS (VI Semester) (Based on service of a cadet)
Computer Appreciation Course (All Cadets)

[note - you can download the application form at the bottom of the above link.]
good luck.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
your friend certainly cant appear for the NDA any more.

CDS (combined defence services) exam which if qualified followed by an extensive and a grueling ssc interview and a physical fitness test would make him eligible for:

Indian Military Academy (IMA), Dehradun
Naval Academy, Goa
Air Force Academy, Begumpet, Hyderabad
Officers Training Academy (OTA), Chennai

but i think he might be over age for CDS as well, please go through the highlighted red part for age criteria. go through the other highlighted part as well, should be of help.

Please, go through the link provided below in detail, should answer most of your questions with regards to CDS exam, its a upsc website.
-------------------

CDS Examination (I) - CDS Exam Eligibility 2010

http://www.upscexam.com/upsc_examin...services_cds/UPSC-CDS-Exam-I-Eligibility.html

(a) Nationality : A candidate must either be:
a Citizen of India, or
a subject of Bhutan, or
a subject of Nepal, or
a Tibetan refugee who came over to India before the 1st January, 1962 with the intention of permanently settling in India, or
a person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka and East African Countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire and Ethiopia or Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India.

Provided that a candidate belonging to categories (ii), (iii), (iv) and (v) above shall be a person in whose favour a certificate of eligibility has been issued by the Government of India.

Certificate of eligibility will, however, not be necessary in the case of candidates who are Gorkha subjects of Nepal.

A candidate in whose case a certificate of eligibility is necessary, may be admitted to the examination provisionally subject to the necessary certificate being given to him by the Govt. before declaration of result by UPSC.

(b) Age Limits, Sex and Marital Status:
For IMA-Unmarried male candidates born not earlier than 2nd January, 1987 and not later than 1st January, 1992 only are eligible.
For Naval Academy-Unmarried male candidates born not earlier than 2nd January, 1989 (2nd January, 1987 in case of NCC/Naval Wing ‘C’ Certificate holders) and not later than 1st January, 1992 only are eligible.
For Air Force Academy-Unmarried male candidates born not earlier than 2nd January, 1988 and not later than 1st January, 1992 only are eligible.
For Officers Training Academy-(SSC Course for Men): Male candidates (married or unmarried born not earlier than 2nd January, 1986 and not later than 1st January, 1992 only are eligible.
For Officers' Training Academy - (SSC Women Non-Technical Course):

Unmarried women are eligible. They should have been born not earlier than 2nd January, 1986 and not later than 1st January, 1996

The date of birth accepted by the Commission is that entered in the Matriculation or Secondary School Leaving Certificate or in a certificate recognised by an Indian University as equivalent to Matriculation or in an extract from a Register of Matriculates maintained by a University which extract must be certified by the proper authority of the University or in the Higher Secondary or an equivalent examination certificate.

These certificates are required to be submitted only after the declaration of the result of the written part of the examination. No other document relating to age like horoscopes, affidavits, birth extracts from Municipal Corporation, service records and the like will be accepted.

The expression Matriculation/Higher Secondary Examination Certificate in this part of the instruction includes the alternative certificates mentioned above.

Note 1: Candidates should note that only the Date of Birth as recorded in the Matriculation/Higher Secondary Examination Certificate or an equivalent certificate on the date of submission of applications will be accepted by the Commission and no subsequent request for its change will be considered or granted.

Note 2: Candidates should also note that once a Date of Birth has been claimed by them and entered in the records of the Commission for the purpose of admission to an Examination, no change will be allowed subsequently or at a subsequent examination on any ground whatsoever.

Note 3: The candidates should exercise due care while entering their date of birth in column 8 of the application form for the Examination. If on verification at any subsequent stage any variation is found in their date of birth from the one entered in their Matriculation or equivalent examination certificate, disciplinary action will be taken against them by the Commission under the Rules.

(c) Educational Qualifications:
For I.M.A. and Officers’ Training Academy-Degree of a recognised University or equivalent.
For Naval Academy : B.Sc. (with Physics & Mathematics) or Bachelor of Engineering.
For Air Force Academy : Degree of Recognized University (with Physics and Mathematics at 10+2 level) or Bachelor of Engineering.

Graduates with first choice as Army/Navy/Air Force are to submit proof of graduation provisional certificates on the date of commencement of the SSB Interview at the SSB.

Candidates who are studying in the final year Degree course and have yet to pass the final year degree examination can also apply but they will be required to submit proof of passing the degree examination to reach the Army HQ/Rtg.

CDSE Entry, West Block III, R K Puram, New Delhi-110066 in case of IMA/SSC first choice candidates and Naval HQ “DMPR” (I.O & R Section), Room No. 204, ‘C’ Wing, Sena Bhawan, New Delhi-110011 in case of Navy first choice candidates and PO3(A)/Air Headquarters, ‘J’ Block, Room No. 17, Opp. Vayu Bhawan, Motilal Nehru Marg, New Delhi-110011 in case of Air Force first choice candidates by the following dates failing which their candidature will stand cancelled :

(i) For admission to IMA, Naval and Air Force Academy on or before 13th November, 2010.

(ii) For admission to Officer’s Training Academy, Chennai on or before 1st February, 2011.

Candidates possessing professional and technical qualifications which are recognised by government as equivalent to professional and technical degrees would also be eligible for admission to the examination.

In exceptional cases the Commission may treat a candidate, who does not possess any of the qualifications prescribed in this rule as educationally qualified provided that he possesses qualifications, the standard of which in the opinion of the Commission, justifies his admission to the examination.

Note I: Candidates, who have yet to pass their degree examination will be eligible only if they are studying in the final year of degree examination.

Those candidates who have yet to qualify in the final year Degree Examination and are allowed to appear in the UPSC Examination should note that this is only a special concession given to them. They are required to submit proof of passing the Degree examination by the prescribed date and no request for extending this date will be entertained on the grounds of late conduct of basic qualifying University Examination, delay in declaration of results or any other ground whatsoever.

Note II: Candidates who are debarred by the Ministry of Defence from holding any type of commission in the Defence Services shall not be eligible for admision to the examination and if admitted, their candidature will be cancelled.

Note III: In the event of Air Force candidates being suspended from Flying Training for failure to learn flying, they would be absorbed in the Navigation/Administration/Logistic Branch of the IAF. This will be subject to availability of vacancies and fulfilling the laid down qualitative requirements (including 60% in graduation).

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles