How to make DFI more popular

Status
Not open for further replies.
Country flag
Allright banning would be too strict. How about ghosting them for few days from that section rather than whole forum. That way they could post on defense related topics.
we had a prison cell where members could view the site but could not participate, even now banned members can view topics/threads/posts but cannot participate.

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
I dont think most members read there email. Some register with there secondary email.

In few forums i have seen people getting ghosted, meaning only they themselves and mods could read there posts while regular members could not. Most of the times they dont even know they've been ghosted.

Earlier on here mods use to okay posts on religious topics before they were made visible to other posters.
True !! even i don't check my e-mail which i used here for registration, are such warnings sent to Inbox (here) to ?

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
You chaps started with how to make the forum more popular and ended up with "quality" one of the vaguest terms till not defined, someone also said, "quantity is quality". See how the drift happens? People knowingly, unknowingly do it, the most learned do it, a drift from topics related to defence happens likewise.

I will tell you the story of quality, and activity.

DFI was a high end product. We maintained it like that for a long-long time, to be precise for nearly two years, activity was extremely low, we in those days used to get 150-250 odd fine posts on daily basis, with a 50 odd posts here and there and these are figures of last year, moderation during those days was one of the strictest, ask members of those days, they will vouch for it. DFI was constantly subjected to attacks, the activity would be hit, people would desert, its how the human behavior is, people flock places where there is activity.

Why do Indians go for a Samsung or a LG white good, and not so much for a product which would be much better, reasonably priced, ever wondered?

Today DFI does around 600-1,000 daily posts depending on how the day has been, of which around 50% posts are defence related, it's a jump of 100%-300% in defence discussions from the base of 150posts a year ago, see the difference? You can be rest assured if the "activity" wouldn't have been there, we wouldn't have reached this figure so soon.

Religion and other such subjects are an integral part of India, we have sub-forums for the same and we don't force people to go to those threads and read the discussions or be a part of the discussions, at that time there is no curfew imposed on defence related topics.

I personally never visit all such threads, neve take part in such discussions, I like to keep myself limited to other threads, I still find scope of discussion there, who and what is stopping anyone to discuss topics related to defence? Let people discuss religion who want to discuss religion, those who want to discuss defence keep doing that, don't venture at other places.

If you people have so much of a problem with other topics, here a challenge and a deal.

Give us a plan of a 1,500posts daily, all related to defence and all quality posts, a detailed plan, I and others in the staff will work with you on daily basis to get this plan worked out. We will put you chaps in the fore front on the execution, you chaps are able to execute it in 6months and we will make DFI an all defence forum and the moderation will be back to what it was.

If it's a deal come forward, discuss it amongst yourselves, speak out your names in this thread and present a plan to the mods through PMs in the next one week. We are extremely open to ideas, no matter where they come from, may be you chaps can think stuff the mods are not, lets form a joint team and do it.

If that is not to happen, we certainly look forward to suggestions which sync with the present content and attempt to make the forum popular, for which this thread was started.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
To continue with my previous post i would say that DFI is not targeting traffic from obvious participants i.e. Pakistanis. Though many of them are coming here with preoccupied mind sets and thick skulls at times but i think we can still improve on to be more inviting to them.
Even a genuine :)wink) chew toy should be chewed not swallowed...

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Even militaryphotos that you post in has it.

Im sure there are few that don't have it but majority of them do.
They are called :

[h=2]Political Discussions and Rants[/h]
Post all non military-related political discussions and current events here, along with any crazy rants you can't hold in anymore.
Note:

How it is named, Further post their are moderated well, Even crazy rants have certain limit, Rules and strict moderation..

Religious topic are hard to find only Islam basing threads, But when we talk India, Its a different totally, Its a magnet for ranting out of order..

Also In Humor thread if you post dont came up to that its deleted..
And if related same you are point 0 infraction its still a infraction..

Military Photos mainly push for military related threads and topics and sub forums not how they are deigned, How much space for ranting and other besides Military, This gives that forum quality..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Illegal BDs in India and the politics over it is one example of how it effects national security.
@Yusaf,
It falls in Internal security sub forum not political forum..

I am happy Internal security sub forum is there and i will be happy to see paramilitary news and photos in it, But what had to do with politics and religion in Defense forum ?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
@Yusaf,
It falls in Internal security sub forum not political forum..

I am happy Internal security sub forum is there and i will be happy to see paramilitary news and photos in it, But what had to do with politics and religion in Defense forum ?
Come on mate appreciate my effort in trying to justify the religion forum on a defense forum!!

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
when there are complaints against members, in almost all cases members are warned usually by email.
Sir,

Why we need to warn members before banning or infraction ?..

'The poster who post do know abt the material he is posting by this he is responsible for his action intentionally, It is his duty to PM MOD after getting infraction or ban '

Besides we see members arguing with MOD knowing he himself is wrong should be ban on sight..

Only may view..
Other can completely disagree with me..

Country flag
Sir,

Why we need to warn members before banning or infraction ?..

'The poster who post do know abt the material he is posting by this he is responsible for his action intentionally, It is his duty to PM MOD after getting infraction or ban '

Besides we see members arguing with MOD knowing he himself is wrong should be ban on sight..

Only may view..
Other can completely disagree with me..
If we banned everything we did not like what would separate us from other lower quality sites?? Respect is another issue if members do not respect mods they will soon if they continue being a problem.

agentperry

i think posting defence and geo-political news faster is the way forward. hate to say but Indians post news and achievement faster in def.pk as compared to dfi.

also posting more of intl news with intl concerns so that foreign participation can also be increased.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
If you people have so much of a problem with other topics, here a challenge and a deal.

Give us a plan of a 1,500posts daily, all related to defence and all quality posts, a detailed plan, I and others in the staff will work with you on daily basis to get this plan worked out. We will put you chaps in the fore front on the execution, you chaps are able to execute it in 6months and we will make DFI an all defence forum and the moderation will be back to what it was.
What is asked it impossible..

Why:
1. In India religion is very sensitive, Majority of Indians in foreign or Domestic have more interest in religious conflicts..
2. Politics is a major issue, Here People are unhappy with gov, countless issues and frustration trapped inside, rest is self-explained..

Now Defense:
Abt this we have a good population and educated one, But outnumber by so many not military related member, And even them few are good posters rest debater....

In such condition how one can it is even in theory its not feasible..

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Respect for mod or the lack of it got a member banned very recently.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
i think posting defence and geo-political news faster is the way forward. hate to say but Indians post news and achievement faster in def.pk as compared to dfi.

also posting more of intl news with intl concerns so that foreign participation can also be increased.
That is because of the sheer numbers of Indians on that forum.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
I have been here a about month and one thing I think is particularly attractive on the forum is this:

Asking a question with rare exception gets a prompt and thoughtful answer, both in specific technical areas and in the more general political and social areas.

That is an indication of the attitude of the participants, and I cannot think of any way to improve that.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
If we banned everything we did not like what would separate us from other lower quality sites??

Respect is another issue if members do not respect mods they will soon if they continue being a problem.

@Sir,

Other low quality sites ban on what basis ?

We are not the same..

Nor i am saying banning everything we did not like but what is the call for something whose outcome we know already..

Lets say, Their is corruption in army, Its true and we agree it dirty and exsist, This is not anti-national..

I support truth..

But

Topics in name of hard truth for basing one on other, flame baiting , hurting others to the downiest degree in presence of Mods..

Out here MOD give warnings.. ?!

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
isnt it a disturbing pattern. def.pk has more Indians than dfi
That is because of the sheer numbers of Indians on that forum.
I doubt but i agree, thier are good posters, So we have..

Its not hard to put a Indian Flag under your name, And sing pro-Indian and strike unexpected, Demoralizing Genuine Indian poster..

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
What is asked it impossible..

Why:
1. In India religion is very sensitive, Majority of Indians in foreign or Domestic have more interest in religious conflicts..
2. Politics is a major issue, Here People are unhappy with gov, countless issues and frustration trapped inside, rest is self-explained..

Now Defense:
Abt this we have a good population and educated one, But outnumber by so many not military related member, And even them few are good posters rest debater....

In such condition how one can it is even in theory its not feasible..
Kunal,

i being from the profession i am, we were never taught the word impossible.

my targets were always to the tune of close to 200%-300% to what the market could absorb, and still there would be months i would over achieve.

its all in the mind. one has to fight the mind.

rest assured if some one would have told me 300-500defence related and over all 600-1,000posts daily last year, may be i would have also reacted like you, who knows.

coming to the facts, there are a hundred million indians browsing the net, 2billion people across the globe and you are trying to convince me that a mere 1,500 defence related daily posts cant be generated within a span of 6 months?

what has been achieved. i said last year we were doing 150 defence related posts daily and the number now has shot up to 300-500defence posts. you see the doable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles