How to improve DRDO efficiency

zolpidam

:india:
hi guys this is the thread i am starting to know how we can improve DRDO working condition and its result . What is the reason ISRO is performing so well while DRDO is doing just opposite to it.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Success Is relative mate, Less than a Month back our Media and some folks were telling ISRO is a waste as Chandrayan just completed "95%" of its objectives! Now those same people are singing praises after the whole Moon water episode! What do you say about this?

Yes, DRDO is not a model Organisation, but I am sure steps are being taken to address problems.

And do put forward your views first when starting such threads because it will give others a starting point.

Martian

Respected Member
I would improve DRDO efficiency by firing people who cannot meet the milestones for their project. Ask the scientists how much time that they reasonably need to confidently meet the milestones. For example, three years to get the 1200 hp tank engine operational. If they can't meet the dates of the milestones then start firing people and hiring new employees. Sooner or later, you will find a competent scientist that can deliver.

Member of The Month SEPTEMBER 2009
I would improve DRDO efficiency by firing people who cannot meet the milestones for their project. Ask the scientists how much time that they reasonably need to confidently meet the milestones. For example, three years to get the 1200 hp tank engine operational. If they can't meet the dates of the milestones then start firing people and hiring new employees. Sooner or later, you will find a competent scientist that can deliver.
DRDO isn't exactly the attracting India's top talent and over the years some of it's scientists have left better opportunities.Firing precious talent over not meeting milestones is not a feasible option

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag
The best way to improve DRDO efficiency is to create a vibrant private defense industry.

India took a long time to learn from other countries successful models. If you look at every single Western Democracy that has a strong defense industry - US, UK, France, Germany, Sweden, Spain, Italy.......you will see the same model.

Except for Nuclear weapons and Space technology - almost all their defense technology(Aircraft, submarines, battleships, Tanks, Missiles, Avionics, Radars, armoured systems, satelites, etc) comes from private firms.

The only area that the government is directly involved is nuclear weapons & Space exploration, satellites. For that matter even Space and satellite technology in the US is developed by Private companies like Boeing, Lockheed, etc.

Given the amount of money that India is spending, the private players are sure to be interested. They are now starting to get involved.
The other aspect of getting private industry involved is that they will be able to pay more and get the best engineers to come and join the defense industry, and get rid of the mediocre performers which is nearly impossible to do in the government run enterprise. They will be much more efficient and result in lower cost and not as many delays as DRDO.

DRDO can then focus on the most critical stuff and farm out all the other defense projects to private firms.

For this to happen; India would probably need about 10 major private defense industry players backed up with big deep pocket money of the major industrial comglomerates like Tata, Birla, L&T, etc.

Member of The Month SEPTEMBER 2009
Some measures would be to increase the participation of the private sector in the defense projects.Change the funding pattern with regard to DRDO, the user and the private sector industry to increase stake holding with regard to projects. Another might be to limit DRDO to developing technologies, prototypes ,conducting studies etc and allow the private sector to develop the components,assemble the product etc.

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag
Delays are not unique to the defense industry, they even happen in the private industry that are much better run. The reason delays happen is mainly because its very hard to predict what you dont know. If the US defense industry starts firing all its engineers because of delays - they would have no engineers left.

As an example look at a really complex projects like the Boeing Dreamliner 787 - I have lost count of the number of delays on this project.

There is to this day no real good scientific/deterministic method of predicting how long a very complex engineering project will take. The most accurate method is to go by past experience - That is provided you have past experience.

On the other hand, if you are building an aircraft carrier or fighter aircraft for the first time - you cant go by past experience because you dont have any.

For that matter Boeing despite all its previous experience building commercial jets could not predict all the delays because they totally changed their way of building a plane on the Dreamliner project.

Martian

Respected Member
I have another idea on increasing DRDO efficiency. I admit that firing experienced scientists over failure to meet milestones could result in the loss of valuable experience. Nevertheless, if we're not considering using the threat of firing people then how about setting up a second company, let's call it DRDO2, to compete against DRDO? Whichever company that can deliver more new weapons will get more funding.

Tamil

Country flag
recurit or put compelled to work for DRDO and other defense R&D labs for whom studying in IIT, NIT for at least 5 years, else don't give any seats to them who are not accept it. get a quality education and money(stipend while studying) and go abroad and work for them. what a stupid followers we are...

prahladh

Respected Member
I have another idea on increasing DRDO efficiency. I admit that firing experienced scientists over failure to meet milestones could result in the loss of valuable experience. Nevertheless, if we're not considering using the threat of firing people then how about setting up a second company, let's call it DRDO2, to compete against DRDO? Whichever company that can deliver more new weapons will get more funding.
If you are suggesting that they have a lax attitude, then you should know that the lax attitude towards discipline/work/ideas flows top(politicians)-down.

ppgj

i beg to differ. is the drdo so inefficient that we solve their problems? people need to know due to the global denial regime india has always suffered. still they were wise enough not to reverse engineer. that has paid rich dividends. now everyone is falling over backwards to give the same. india due to its capital investment limitations could not do the kind of investments the defence sector needed. now that has changed. india is on the northward journey economically, technologically due to its farsighted approach in putting its investments in the education sector. IITs are just but one example. now all that is bearing fruit. that is how you see drdo setting standards in many fields. take a look at what drdo has done so far-
Defence Research and Development Organisation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
yes, drdo will not be successful in everything. nobody can. that will be taken care as we go along. what is most needed is our armed wings to stand by them and support them so they break even and get much needed capital for further research leading to better products and making india self sufficient. IN is already showing the way. if IAF and IA can give the same support, we wont be opening this thread.
yes, i do agree though in such a large organisation there will inefficient people too like in any other field. but people around will be quick to notice that and hence will be assigned suitable assignments. so, let us not worry too much.

khatarnak

DRDO is not that much dumb. But they are working on too many projects at a time which is out of their ability and it cuts their efficiency.

There should be one or two more R&D agencies parallal to DRDO. Then projects may be divided between them two. It will improve the eficiency and quality. Some projects can be given to both which may generate healthy competition too.
:sporty55:

ppgj

DRDO is not that much dumb. But they are working on too many projects at a time which is out of their ability and it cuts their efficiency.

There should be one or two more R&D agencies parallal to DRDO. Then projects may be divided between them two. It will improve the eficiency and quality. Some projects can be given to both which may generate healthy competition too.
:sporty55:
drdo is a conglomerate of some 50+ labs. each concentrates on a specific need. it is not like one or two doing 100s of things.
but yes if private firms want to independantly challenge drdo with their own R&D that would do good.

indian_blues

Country flag
My only advice is accept private company participation in their projects.

ppgj

My only advice is accept private company participation in their projects.
brigadier,
that is already happening. tatas, l&t, astra, samtel are already implementing some of the projects. i would be happy if they can bring their own R&D to the table.

Goodperson

Scrap the existing DRDO structure bring IAF, IA, INF personnel on board.
As they are the ones defending borders of country, They are the major customers of DRDO.
DRDO cannot force its not sogood creations on Defense forces.

zolpidam

I think in DRDO have every thing money , talent but only thing which is lacking is working instinct , Since they all are govt employees and they know they will be paid whether they will do or don't. I think govt has to made some policy shift and has to encourage Research and development and incentives and promotion should be based of performance rather than just like in every govt system in india whether health or defence once a person occupy a position of director , head of dept etc . he remains at that position until his retirement.
Govt should start projecting good incentives and if a project has to complete it has to complete on that particular time and all the assessment and analysis should be done even if to change the current leadership in DRDO .

ppgj

Scrap the existing DRDO structure bring IAF, IA, INF personnel on board.
As they are the ones defending borders of country, They are the major customers of DRDO.
DRDO cannot force its not sogood creations on Defense forces.
you can pass that wise counsel to USAF, USN & US ARMY. they may also want to sit in LM, BOEING, NORTHROP GRUMMAN & RAYTHEON.

zolpidam

Participation of private sector is very good Idea and we should encourage companies like TATA , Reliance etc . Govt can give them a project like they have to make a particular gun , particular software etc.and let them pay . I think if they can do it and able to do it then it will be the good thing. and under strict condition they can take what ever scientist or resources from govt or hire whatever people they can. The ultimate goal is to complete that project.
In terms if they will complete the particular project it will be beneficial for every one. The ultimate goal is to complete our task in whatever way we do.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles