How the British Empire Starved Millions of Indians

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The west must be evil in nature. That is the only conclusion you can draw from here.
Again, you are jumping the gun without adequate knowledge of the world's colonial history.

Indeed the imperialists and colonialists were brutal, cruel and heartless. You have any doubt? That photograph above your said post should give you an idea. Show me one British chap in Briton or British India of the time as impoverished and starving as those Indians in the picture.

Reproduced below to charge your brain cells for recollection

Just think how the British Empire, where it was said that the Sun never Sets in the British Empire, crumbled after that they called Jewel of the Empire, yes, India got Independence?

The Golden Goose was no longer to feed them and their extravaganza, at the cost of the Golden Goose.

And it is NOT the WEST THAT IS EVIL. Just the imperialists and colonialists.

Last edited:

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
Again, you are jumping the gun without adequate knowledge of the world's colonial history.

Indeed the imperialists and colonialists were brutal, cruel and heartless. You have any doubt? That photograph above your said post should give you an idea. Show me one British chap in Briton or British India of the time as impoverished and starving as those Indians in the picture.

Just think how the British Empire, where it was said that the Sun never Sets in the British Empire, crumbled after that they called Jewel of the Empire, yes, India got Independence?

The Golden Goose was no longer to feed them and their extravaganza, at the cost of the Golden Goose.

Sir, he is like genius. His only intention is to troll. jouni and the British who created this famine are no different.

jouni

No the British were evil. Only a fool/troll would view the entire west and British as one.
Do you still blame Brits for this? Do you still mistrust them?

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
Famines, epidemics, and public health in the British Raj

Among the common features of famines, epidemics, and public health in the British Raj during the 19th century were:

There was no aggregate food shortage in India, although there were localized crop failures in the affected areas. Crop failures were essential for the occurrence of the famine.[1]

The starvation deaths occurred among certain economic classes; landless laborers, artisans and petty traders, which constituted anywhere between 35% and 50% of the rural population.[2] India's agrarian economy during this time was still a non-monetised exchange economy.[3] Agricultural laborers were either paid in kind (foodgrains) or partly in kind and partly in cash; similarly, artisans and service-workers were regulated by the Jajmani system, a reciprocal social and economic arrangement between different castes in a village, in which payments were made in the form of a fixed share in the harvest.[3] Consequently, for a large proportion of the rural population, food supply depended on their "employment entitlements," or the demand among the primary (landed) food producers for their services and this demand was the first to be affected in times of food shortage.[4] A crop failure could create a famine, not because it led to an aggregate shortage of food but because it deprived a significant proportion of the population of the means to acquire food.[2]

In some cases, foodgrains were still being exported from the famine affected region during the time leading up to (and sometimes after) famine began.[2]

:facepalm: :facepalm:

Foodgrain prices during the famine years in the affected areas were higher, but not spectacularly higher, than during normal years.[2]
The evidence from 19th-century data suggests that local crop failures led to famines not because they created aggregate food shortages but because they drastically reduced the demand for the services of certain segments of the population, consequently deprived them of the means to acquire food. According to (Ghose 1982, p. 380), famines were not natural phenomena but rather a result of the breakdown, in the wake of local crop failures, of social and economic networks in these regions. The Famine Commission of 1880, appointed by the Government of British India, described the situation with clarity and poignancy:"

"The first effect of a drought is to diminish greatly, and at last to stop, all field labour, and to throw out of employment the great mass of people who live on the wages of labour. A similar effect is produced next upon the artisans, the small shop-keepers, and traders, first in villages and country towns, and later on in the larger towns also, by depriving them of their profits, which are mainly dependent on dealings with the least wealthy classes; and, lastly, all classes become less able to give charitable help to public beggars, and to support their dependents. Such of the agricultural classes as possess a proprietary interest in the land, or a valuable right of occupancy in it, do not require as a rule to be protected against starvation in time of famine unless the calamity is unusually severe and prolonged, as they generally are provided with stocks of food or money, or have credit with money-lenders. But those who, owning only a small plot of land, eke out by its profits their wages as labourers, and rack-rented tenants-at-will living almost from hand-to-mouth, are only a little way removed from the class of field-labourers; they possess no credit, and on them pressure soon begins."
Famines, epidemics, and public health in the British Raj - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
Yes,the British are to be mistrusted. As they say, once burnt twice shy. I do not hate them but I cannot trust them also. That is why I am fond of nations like France,Italy,USA and Japan. These nations have defeated the British in a number of wars.

(P.S. I am not against English education. Instead I am a staunch supporter of it. English is after all an Indo-European language and a descendant of the German and French dialects.)

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Oh sure, we blame the British for this and many more atrocities. Have no doubt about that.

Mistrust? No, we have moved on and Britain is now a third class nation, let alone being a power. Her self assumed importance is sustained by the oxygen supplied by the US. Without that, she is a sunk boat, not worth salvaging.

By the bye, you have taken the mantle of being a troll with dollops of ridiculous witless comments. Quite a drawdown I must say.

jouni

Yes, I got it. Luckily it is history and you can look forward.

Sambha ka Boss

Last edited:

jouni

Oh sure, we blame the British for this and many more atrocities. Have no doubt about that.

Mistrust? No, we have moved on and Britain is now a third class nation, let alone being a power. Her self assumed importance is sustained by the oxygen supplied by the US. Without that, she is a sunk boat, not worth salvaging.

By the bye, you have taken the mantle of being a troll with dollops of ridiculous witless comments. Quite a drawdown I must say.
Not only that, I am labeled as anti-christ also.

jouni

Yes,the British are to be mistrusted. As they say, once burnt twice shy. I do not hate them but I cannot trust them also. That is why I am fond of nations like France,Italy,USA and Japan. These nations have defeated the British in a number of wars.

(P.S. I am not against English education. Instead I am a staunch supporter of it. English is after all an Indo-European language and a descendant of the German and French dialects.)

Here is for you: Finns fight successfully invasion of Royal Navy.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Yes, I got it. Luckily it is history and you can look forward.
One cannot forget history. It is not only India's problem, it is also the world's problem to atone for the injustices done to others.

You complain about Russia, but you gloss over the injustice done by the Western powers to the colonies under their ruthless rule.

You all are hypocrites who pretend to be 'saints' and 'world's conscience'.

Remember
"Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her."
John 8:7
Not only that, I am labeled as anti-christ also.
I could think of many labels for you.

But maybe you should tone down and ask relevant questions that you wish to be educated about.

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag

Here is for you: Finns fight successfully invasion of Royal Navy.
Offtopic, but the British have a history of poking their noses everywhere. These British could never fight European powers successfully. I think this is not appropriate for the thread.

jouni

You were not a Brit, so how come you whining about it. Quite hypocrite, all Westerners abuse Stalin and Russians for Ukrainian Famine 24 hours a day but don't want to talk how Churchill starved 4 millions to death in Bengal during World War 2.

Remembering India's forgotten holocaust | Tehelka.com
Yes, for some reason India flies under radar in global issues. You should rise your global profile. Where are Indian sportsmen? Indian movies? Music? Brands? You focus too much on yourself. Get the olympics for Gods sake! Is India the only Great country that has not hosted olympics? Even Finland has.

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
Yes, for some reason India flies under radar in global issues. You should rise your global profile. Where are Indian sportsmen? Indian movies? Music? Brands? You focus too much on yourself. Get the olympics for Gods sake! Is India the only Great country that has not hosted olympics? Even Finland has.
Why are you diverting this thread? How is this related to famine created by the British?

jouni

Why are you diverting this thread? How is this related to famine created by the British?
It would show them that they did not manage to get you down. Ok, what is the meaning of this thread? To fuel hatred?

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
El Nino is often cited by as one of the primary reasons of famines. However El Nino and La Nina did not disappear after India got Independence. Strangely India did not suffer any serious drought or famine in the last 6 decades.

http://www.who.int/globalchange/publications/en/elnino.pdf

It seems that the British are masters at diverting the real cause of famines, which happened from their mismanagement and cruelty, to other trivial causes. To do this they use environmental experts and other such scientists who put all the blame on El Nino etc.

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
It would show them that they did not manage to get you down. Ok, what is the meaning of this thread? To fuel hatred?
No. Try to get a better grasp of English.
The meaning of this thread is to show the cruelty of the British and how their tall claims of being "gentleman" rulers are all fake. The British used to see us as their burden while in reality they were our burden.

Last edited:

Sambha ka Boss

Our movies, music and food already have a global appeal. Olympics, never mind. And British taught us English, one of the greatest blunder they did for themselves. I usually see lots of Brits whining how Indians are stealing their jobs due to their English proficiency and low labor cost. There are 1.2 billion of us and with our English proficiency and would quite easily trample over their dominance very easily, just wait for the right time. ;) ;) ;)

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles