How Indigenous is SU-30 MKI Aircraft of India?

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
In this thread we shall discuss and Explore how Indigenous is SU-30 MKI Aircraft of India and how many indian Components is present in it and their Percentage and Other things. Info material like Article, photos, Videos are Welcome here. Kindly Reframe from Off-top Posts and Stay to the Topic.

Varoon2

Country flag
Would be really good to know this information! But more than that, what impact such know-how and indigenisation has on Indian aerospace in general. Or whether they are just stand alone achievements. The AL-31-FP engine, for example, is now fully made in India. But does the learning and knowledge from that lead to developments in the aircraft engine sector, or is it restricted to the Sukhoi production, because of restrictions placed by the outside entity( Russia in this case). It would be hard to believe that there is no osmosis of technology taking place!

Super Flanker

Country flag
Would be really good to know this information! But more than that, what impact such know-how and indigenisation has on Indian aerospace in general. Or whether they are just stand alone achievements. The AL-31-FP engine, for example, is now fully made in India. But does the learning and knowledge from that lead to developments in the aircraft engine sector, or is it restricted to the Sukhoi production, because of restrictions placed by the outside entity( Russia in this case). It would be hard to believe that there is no osmosis of technology taking place!
Yes I know. I too am surprised that even after building More than 220+ SU-30 MKI Aircrafts in India, and Also building the Engines of SU-30 MKI in India itself, The AL-31-FP Engine which is used to Power Our SU-30 MKI Aircraft in numbers of more than 200+ ,we are still not able to Develop a Simple Jet engine. Looks we have still not been able to Properly Absorb the Engine Technology inspite of Building so many Under license completely in India. I am surprised to hear that. It seems that all the Transfer of Technology which the Russians gave us for SU-30 MKI Aircraft has not been Absorbed into Companies like HAL( Who License build the SU-30 MKI Aircraft) Properly. Anyways considering how much we invested in The SU-30 MKI Aircraft program,we should have Gotten more for it ! But we have not and It's very Surprising to see it. Sad Reality!

Super Flanker

Country flag
Can we Export SU-30 Aircrafts from India?Can we do it?Considering how much we have Invested in the SU-30 MKI Aircraft program. We should be overhauling and Upgrading the SU-30 Aircrafts of Other Countries in my opinion.

Super Flanker

Country flag
The Mission Computer onboard The SU 30 MKI Aircraft is completely developed and Built in India itself and Some other avionics and Electronics are completely Built in India. Also the AL-31-FP Engine is completely Built in India itself under Transfer of Technology from Russia.
Picture- AL-31-FP Engine which is used in SU 30 MKI Aircrafts.
al-31-fp-500x500.png

Super Flanker

Country flag
More Pictures of The AL-31-FP Engine which is manufactured in India for SU 30 MKI fighter Aircrafts.
AL-31FN.jpg
al-31-fp-500x500.png
1581593268_1509044768_3.jpg
AL31FP.jpg

Angel of War

Country flag
I'll be happy with sukhois if they can maintain a availability rate of 70% and if they stop crashing every two years or so

Super Flanker

Country flag
To be honest. SU 30 MKI already has a good Amount of Indian content in it already. And under Super Sukhoi program,if we go for Indigenous Super Sukhoi ungrade Rather Than the Russian Offer Than Indigenisation will increase more as There will be More Indigenous avionics in the Aircraft. In Indigenous Super Sukhoi upgrade,See The Below Picture and you will get what I am Trying to Tell you :
s-uper-sukhoi.jpg

This is what an Expected Package of Indigenous Super Sukhoi would look like.

Super Flanker

Country flag
I'll be happy with sukhois if they can maintain a availability rate of 70% and if they stop crashing every two years or so
Not Really sure about how we can Maintain an Availability rate of 70%. It is possible in a Number of Ways but I am Not Sure about it Myself.

Tang

Country flag
Yes I know. I too am surprised that even after building More than 220+ SU-30 MKI Aircrafts in India, and Also building the Engines of SU-30 MKI in India itself, The AL-31-FP Engine which is used to Power Our SU-30 MKI Aircraft in numbers of more than 200+ ,we are still not able to Develop a Simple Jet engine. Looks we have still not been able to Properly Absorb the Engine Technology inspite of Building so many Under license completely in India. I am surprised to hear that. It seems that all the Transfer of Technology which the Russians gave us for SU-30 MKI Aircraft has not been Absorbed into Companies like HAL( Who License build the SU-30 MKI Aircraft) Properly. Anyways considering how much we invested in The SU-30 MKI Aircraft program,we should have Gotten more for it ! But we have not and It's very Surprising to see it. Sad Reality!
Coz russian engines are not at the level of western engines.
The engines on Tejas MK1(F404) is more advanced than AL-31 on Su30MKI from the technical point of view, except thrust vectoring

Super Flanker

Country flag
The engines on Tejas MK1(F404) is more advanced than AL-31 on Su30MKI from the technical point of view, except thrust vectoring
That's what The Russian Engines are like most of the Time. It's not just their Engines but most of their Defence Products need a lot of Maintenance to keep Them working.
They Provide a good amount of Thrust and Performance but Maintainance Wise ,they are a nightmare to do so. Ofcourse not that western Engines are also not expensive to Maintain but They are Sure As hell not as expensive to Maintain as The Russian ones Though.

Angel of War

Country flag
Not Really sure about how we can Maintain an Availability rate of 70%. It is possible in a Number of Ways but I am Not Sure about it Myself.
Our mirages have a available rate of 70% . Tejas also is a little more than 70% . Mirage availability will further improve due to the spare parts deal. Even Rafale is said to be in between 75-80 range. If

Angel of War

Country flag
Can we Export SU-30 Aircrafts from India?Can we do it?Considering how much we have Invested in the SU-30 MKI Aircraft program. We should be overhauling and Upgrading the SU-30 Aircrafts of Other Countries in my opinion.
we can't unless we get an export approval from kremlin

Super Flanker

Country flag
Our mirages have a available rate of 70% . Tejas also is a little more than 70% . Mirage availability will further improve due to the spare parts deal. Even Rafale is said to be in between 75-80 range. If
To be honest. I agree with you have just written. Aircrafts which you have mentioned above like Mirage and Rafale are Aircrafts of Western origin and we all know how good the Track Record of Western equipment is compared to Russian ones. Hopefully SU-30 MKI will have an Availability rate of atleast 70-75 % in the Near future.

Super Flanker

Country flag
we can't unless we get an export approval from kremlin
What? That's so unfair in my opinion, we invested so Much money in this Programme and we don't get even the Rights to overhaul the SU-30 Aircrafts of Other Countries, forget about Export of SU-30 Aircrafts by India. I feel like SU-30 MKI Aircraft is a very good plane but The Amount of Money Invested in The Programme didn't give out as much Outcome as I had Anticipated.

Super Flanker

Country flag
Pics of SU-30 MKI Aircraft in it's Manufacturing process.
main-qimg-022c9c34b12062fec7ceff08d9da909f.jpeg
main-qimg-fc399af79331afaeb9ae56050e40f14f-lq.jpeg

Super Flanker

Country flag
Buddy do you have an idea of how Indigenous SU-30 MKI Aircraft is ?

Angel of War

Country flag
Buddy do you have an idea of how Indigenous SU-30 MKI Aircraft is ?
Russian Radar
Russian IRST
Russian Engine ( assembled in India)
Indian-israeli-french MFDs
French flight data recorder
French Totem ring laser gyro dual INS with embedded GPS
French HUD
Israeli Jammers
Israeli Targeting Pods
Indian contribution to Su-30MKI avionics (developed under project Ventrivale) include DARE MC-486 and DP-30MK mission computer/display processor; DARE RC1 and RC2 radar computer; DAR Tarang Mk 2 RWR and high-accuracy direction-finding module; IFF-1410A IFF; HAL INCOM 1210A integrated communication suite; HAL RAM-1701 radar altimeter; and LRDE programmable signal processor. Avionics systems from various countries integrated by Ramenskoye RPKB.

Super Flanker

Country flag
Russian Radar
Russian IRST
Russian Engine ( assembled in India)
Indian-israeli-french MFDs
French flight data recorder
French Totem ring laser gyro dual INS with embedded GPS
French HUD
Israeli Jammers
Israeli Targeting Pods
Indian contribution to Su-30MKI avionics (developed under project Ventrivale) include DARE MC-486 and DP-30MK mission computer/display processor; DARE RC1 and RC2 radar computer; DAR Tarang Mk 2 RWR and high-accuracy direction-finding module; IFF-1410A IFF; HAL INCOM 1210A integrated communication suite; HAL RAM-1701 radar altimeter; and LRDE programmable signal processor. Avionics systems from various countries integrated by Ramenskoye RPKB.
Thank you the Information! Greatly Appreciated!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles