How Diego Garcia became a base for usa

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Interesting documentary on it.

This tells a story literally 'hidden from history'. In the 1960s and 70s, British governments, conspiring with American officials, tricked into leaving, then expelled the entire population of the Chagos islands in the Indian Ocean. The aim was to give the principal island of this Crown Colony, Diego Garcia, to the Americans who wanted it as a major military base. Indeed, from Diego Garcia US planes have since bombed Afghanistan and Iraq. The story is told by islanders who were dumped in the slums of Mauritius and in the words of the British officials who left a 'paper trail' of what the International Criminal Court now describes as 'a crime against humanity'

Last edited by a moderator:

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Lol I posted the same thread a long time ago. Look under Similar Threads.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
I had downloaded this a year ago myself.

Looking at the other thread made me start this.

I also posted in your thread :rofl:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Rather horrifying.

Ideal for a case in the ICJ!

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
A race who wiped off two complete continents that are, North Americ and Austrelia of its original inhabiatants, would not care two hoots for a tiny Island. America had to build their Nuclear silos and airfields. In cold war environment, they were ready to anihilate millions as they did in Japan. How then would they care for a few thousand on the Island.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles