How can India leverage Ukraine war for its Security & Economic benefit?

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
How can India leverage Ukraine war for its Security & Economic benefit?

I think this issue is important enough to have its own thread apart from thread of Ukraine war which is following up actual events. Here we can discuss strategy.

Now, Any crisis in the world is an opportunity to improve our position. In fact all nations do so. USA & China seek ruthless benefits from any crisis or war. So How can India leverage Ukraine war for its benefit?

Recently Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov came to India to seek support. Apart from various other statements made by him, he made an interesting statement that they (Russia) is ready to sell goods that India wants. Which I mean to read that they are ready to sell anything which they have and India wants.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...ssian-fm-sergey-lavrov/videoshow/90603092.cms

Russia ready to supply goods that India wants to buy: Russian FM Sergey Lavrov

https://www.businesstoday.in/latest...-ready-to-discuss-it-lavrov-328266-2022-04-01

If India wants to buy anything from Russia, we are ready to discuss it: Lavrov

Russia is facing an existential crisis and fighting a war with its back to the wall. So what can we want from them apart from traditional LNG, Crude Oil, Edible oil, fertilizers etc? Problem is that our Babus are bean counters with no vision, so what can we suggest to them?

Not to forget that Narshima Rao got us lot of technology in 1990s when Soviet Union collapsed. Today we have more money but Russia has very limited things to offer.

The other thing that will motivate Russia is that they cannot be over dependant on China beyond a point. Not to forget that Imran Khan is deposed and Pakistan Army will meddle in Islamic countries bordering Russian southern border and even inside Russian potentially unstable regions. Though this may be a problem for China also in long run.

My list:-

• Nuclear weapon technology.
India has tested its nuclear weapons but they may not be perfect. We can benefit from Russian technology in this regard. We should convince Russia that USA has transferred nuke tech to UK & France. China to North Korea and Pakistan, so its fitness of things that Russia should set another power centre in the world by transferring high quality nuclear weapon technology to India.

We need technology of explosives, detonators, experimental data of the tests conducted by Soviets, nuclear weapon designs and manufacturing tools.

We should pay well for it. After all our USD 650 Billion reserves are paper whenever USA wants.

• SSN & SSBN technology
Russia has given us trailing SSN & SSBN technology. We should ask for latest technology of SSN like Akula-3 and of nuclear reactors. Needless to say that we should pay a fair price

• Civilian Nuclear Reactors and stock of Uranium

We have already ordered 6 civilian nuclear reactors. We should bargain down the price and order order another 6 reactors along with stock of nuclear fuel. We should take up this opportunity to stock up majorly on civilian nuclear fuel.

• Entry for Indian consumer Cos.
Lot of foreign companies in consumer goods are quitting Russia. We should ask for preferential treatment of Indian Consumer goods Cos to enter Russia. Though I am afraid that most of Indian Cos have western world financial investment and they may not be enthusiastic, but we can examine the issue.

• Entry for Indian software and Banking Cos.

Lot of foreign companies in software and Banking are quitting Russia. We should ask for preferential treatment of Indian software and Banking Cos to enter Russia. Though I am afraid that most of Indian Cos have western world financial investment and they may not be enthusiastic, but we can examine the issue.

• Preferential treatment for our small exporters

Indian big companies are all bitches of western stock markets and FDI. Look at TATA Sky who cut off Russian TV. Or desi media who are all abusing Russia as they get funds and advertisement from foreign sources.

Hence we should seek preferential treatment for our small exporters in agricultural commodities like tea, coffee spices, or textile goods, shoes. Off course we are even today exporting to Russia but the profits are eaten by big foreign brands. We should try to enter into high value retail brands.

This is a short list, on how we can discuss mutually beneficial trade with Russia. I have other things on mind which I will add later.

zanxjay

Country flag
What you wrote is very articulate. About position I think India should justify it's position pointing to USA's Non Major Nato Ally (Pakistan). If USA agrees to sides line Pakistan and give us Nuclear submarine (which won't happen but we can try for sure) then we may go for USA's side.

HitmanBlood

Country flag
Rocket engine & Human space travel related technology would be nice. Another is turbo jet engine and marine gas turbine engine tech.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles