How can an American citizen of Indian origin give back to India?

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag
I was born in India and have a strong connection to the Indian Army (father served and fought two wars, relatives in Army). Through a twist of fate, I ended up in the US and could never fulfill my goal of following in father's footsteps and joining the Indian Army. I would like to give back to India now and specifically to the institution that gave me so much - the Indian Army. Any ideas? Funds for fallen soldiers and their families? Any other volunteer work? I'm sure there are many on the forum who are in the same boat.

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
I was born in India and have a strong connection to the Indian Army (father served and fought two wars, relatives in Army). Through a twist of fate, I ended up in the US and could never fulfill my goal of following in father's footsteps and joining the Indian Army. I would like to give back to India now and specifically to the institution that gave me so much - the Indian Army. Any ideas? Funds for fallen soldiers and their families? Any other volunteer work? I'm sure there are many on the forum who are in the same boat.
Buy Indian products wherever possible and hire Indians if they are suitable.

Bahamut

http://www.pmindia.gov.in/en/national-defence-fund/
I hope this will help you
You can do more to India by asking the Indian community to connect with culture and be a bit like Jews , lobby for Indian interest in US

Mandeep Singh

Up till now, every NRI used to forget the country. But you have amazed me! So glad that people like you exist!
It's great that you work in the US. The only thing that nation wants from you is innovation. Also, if your family is in India, it would be great if u invest in India as that will give some forex to India. Remember, you don't need to join the Army for serving India. You can introduce revolutionary ideas if you an engineer, doctor, etc. :)

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag
Buy Indian products wherever possible and hire Indians if they are suitable.
Thank you, that is a good idea. Absolutely.

http://www.pmindia.gov.in/en/national-defence-fund/
I hope this will help you
You can do more to India by asking the Indian community to connect with culture and be a bit like Jews , lobby for Indian interest in US
Thanks, didn't know about this. Wonder if they will let me contribute. Regarding lobbying, I already write letters to my Senators asking them to support any anti Pakistan legislation and all my coworkers/Non Indian friends know what an absolute shithole terrorist supporting country Pak is.

Up till now, every NRI used to forget the country. But you have amazed me! So glad that people like you exist!
Thank you - I've seen too many widows crying during my dad's time in the army to forget. India is in my blood and I hope one day to be able to afford to retire over there. Bharat mata ki Jai!

It's great that you work in the US. The only thing that nation wants from you is innovation. Also, if your family is in India, it would be great if u invest in India as that will give some forex to India. Remember, you don't need to join the Army for serving India. You can introduce revolutionary ideas if you an engineer, doctor, etc. :)
Hope one day I will be capable of generating investment for India and creating jobs there.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
If you are a US citizen,
  • Get a PIO card made at the nearest Indian mission
  • Donate to national defence fund, PM's relief fund
  • Write to the consul-general of India NYC (not ambassador sitting in DC), telling them a little bit about yourself (background, education, work, location), and mention that "you'd be happy to help in any way possible." Expect a reply sooner or later.
  • Attend Indian community events wherever possible (I know that for us Telugus the starting point is TANA or ATA). There are many such expat associations that covers both US citizens of Indian origin and Indian citizens on temporary visas (H1B, F1, etc.). Your association will point you to larger pan-India organizations
  • Write to your senator/congressperson on Indian geopolitical issues where you see US support helping the situation
  • Be republican. They're obnoxious and xenophobic, but India plays better with republican administrations
  • Help project Indian soft-power. Start with food, treat your friends to Indian food from a nice restaurant, or whip something up at home. Point them to interesting Indian movies with English subtitles (you have 100s of them on Netflix these days). Point them to India if they talk about their next vacation

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag
If you are a US citizen,
  • Get a PIO card made at the nearest Indian mission
  • Donate to national defence fund, PM's relief fund
  • Write to the consul-general of India NYC (not ambassador sitting in DC), telling them a little bit about yourself (background, education, work, location), and mention that "you'd be happy to help in any way possible." Expect a reply sooner or later.
  • Attend Indian community events wherever possible (I know that for us Telugus the starting point is TANA or ATA). There are many such expat associations that covers both US citizens of Indian origin and Indian citizens on temporary visas (H1B, F1, etc.). Your association will point you to larger pan-India organizations
  • Write to your senator/congressperson on Indian geopolitical issues where you see US support helping the situation
  • Be republican. They're obnoxious and xenophobic, but India plays better with republican administrations
  • Help project Indian soft-power. Start with food, treat your friends to Indian food from a nice restaurant, or whip something up at home. Point them to interesting Indian movies with English subtitles (you have 100s of them on Netflix these days). Point them to India if they talk about their next vacation
Thank you sincerely, this is very comprehensive. Yes, I'm a US citizen.

Regarding being a republican, I feel they are anti muslim viz regards to immigration in the US which I agree with. However, they are pro war and hence pro Pakistan (because they salivate at the thought of access to Pak military bases in the South Asian region). Musharraf agrees with me:

Generally it has been seen that Republican governments have been more balanced towards their approaches to the South Asian region and towards Pakistan. The previous administration, I would say, was drifting one-sidedly towards India and therefore there is hope and in the future one feels that the Bush administration will balance out this relationship. And the initial indications are very positive, and I look forward to this improved relationship. I hope the visit of our foreign minister will certainly balance out the visit of the Indian foreign minister to the United States and the United States' under-secretary of state's visit to India.
Source: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2001/may/16/pakistan.rorymccarthy1

Also:
With Eye On Trump, India Tries To Hasten Big US Defence Deals: Report

Source: http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/with...to-hasten-big-us-defence-deals-report-1470374

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
1. Remain Indian, stay true to your desire to help India and Indians.

2. Do nothing if you are young but earn money and be very rich by hard work. Money is the only influence that will go long and will make a difference and yield as you will approach people for causes of India.

3. Don't waste time.

OrangeFlorian

Anon Supreme
I'm an NRI. Is it possible for me to be PMOI and then MIGA? its something I think about every day of my life.

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag
AFAIK you can get an OCI card and get Indian citizenship, all you have to do is give up Canadian one. Maybe wait till the forex rate is better brah

Country flag
I think many Indian Americans contribute to India daily just in the positive contribution they make to society. I know my father was involved in many organizations and I wanted to invest in India but the climate was not to receptive towards foreign investment at the time. I think this may have changed now?
I more or less try to contribute by donating to credible charity organizations.

OrangeFlorian

Anon Supreme
My family buys food (vegetables, rice etc) at the grocery store that was made in India does that count?

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag
I'm leaning more and more towards starting a lobbying group that serves to isolate Pakistan and block any defense deals that the pigs want to get from the US as well as block Muslim immigration into America by writing to senators, protesting etc. I wonder if any forum members would be interested in joining?

OrangeFlorian

Anon Supreme
I'm leaning more and more towards starting a lobbying group that serves to isolate Pakistan and block any defense deals that the pigs want to get from the US as well as block Muslim immigration into America by writing to senators, protesting etc. I wonder if any forum members would be interested in joining?
yus..............( ͡ಠ ͜ʖ ͡ಠ)

.....................................................................................

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles