How are logistic made possible? Any hints from Indian members?

cinoti

Tihar Jail
Banned
Just a question, if MODs thinks this is posted at a wrong place, please move it.

This is Jan 15, 2013, an Indian border patrol group somewhere in LOC.

From leftL SSG69 sniper rigfle, MTAR-21 assault rifle, MX-4 assault rifle, INSAS, two MX-4 rifle and to the one on the far right Indian AKM.
This is a team of ten soldiers as you can tell, they wear 3 different camouflage uniforms, 1 first gen and 2 second gens, AKM will use the East Block 7.62 mm ammunition, MTAR-21 will use NATO 5.45 mm, MX-4 actually uses 19mm pistol ammunition, INSAS use 5.56mm.

I really admire the one who take care of the logistics of your army, I don't know how this can be possible.

If you spend so much on airplanes and warships, why not spare some for your foot soldiers, they are the one who fight the war.

cinoti

Tihar Jail
Banned

this is our border patrol, all Type 03 rifles and digital ACU.

A mobile radio station is a must plus Beidou navigation and communications.

Armed Police uses different camu but it is an other type of digital ACU, they use Type 95 in this picture.

Last edited:

pmaitra

From leftL SSG69 sniper rigfle, MTAR-21 assault rifle, MX-4 assault rifle, INSAS, two MX-4 rifle and to the one on the far right Indian AKM.
This is a team of ten soldiers as you can tell, they wear 3 different camouflage uniforms, 1 first gen and 2 second gens, AKM will use the East Block 7.62 mm ammunition, MTAR-21 will use NATO 5.45 mm, MX-4 actually uses 19mm pistol ammunition, INSAS use 5.56mm.

I really admire the one who take care of the logistics of your army, I don't know how this can be possible.
India is flush with cash to throw away. India has been in the middle of an orgy to procure whatever weapons are offered to them. We started off with 7.62 mm NATO since the SMLE days, then moved over to 5.56 mm and now there is talk of something in between. Apparently, no one wants uniformity in the Indian inventory. The same goes with getting or looking at an eclectic mix of helicopters, fighters, transporters, APCs, etc..

I think India is taking the 'diversity' metaphor too far.

Wonder who the decision makers are.

cinoti

Tihar Jail
Banned
India is flush with cash to throw away. India has been in the middle of an orgy to procure whatever weapons are offered to them. We started off with 7.62 mm NATO since the SMLE days, then moved over to 5.56 mm and now there is talk of something in between. Apparently, no one wants uniformity in the Indian inventory. The same goes with getting or looking at an eclectic mix of helicopters, fighters, transporters, APCs, etc..

I think India is taking the 'diversity' metaphor too far.

Wonder who the decision makers are.
I can understand big procurement, India is very skillful using arm sale deals to balance diplomacy, but light arms... it goes too far in diversity.

pmaitra

I can understand big procurement, India is very skillful using arm sale deals to balance diplomacy, but light arms... it goes too far in diversity.
The diversity in small arms with the BSF jawans has turned logistic uniformity into a pathetic joke. Don't worry, they will order another 5 to 6 different foreign weapons with another 5 to 6 different calibres in the next two years. The aim is, apparently, to equip each soldier in a patrol party with a unique piece of weapon with a unique calibre.

sasi

During chidambram term as HM,arms dealers make huge buck. During his term,many deals are undertaken as fast track case.
Maybe BSF are going for fancy competitiön!:lol:

pmaitra

During chidambram term as HM,arms dealers make huge buck. During his term,many deals are undertaken as fast track case.
Maybe BSF are going for fancy competitiön!:lol:
I think they were inspired by Europa Barbarorum's depiction of the Mauryan Army:

Gotta admire the diversity in designs, but in BSF's case, the diversity extends to the design, model, and calibre as well.

sasi

This is Jan 15, 2013, an Indian border patrol group somewhere in LOC.

They fall under home ministry,not defence..
Yes,i don't know what the hell is happening.

sasi

7.62 mm, 9mm ammunition, 5.56mm only. More focus on close quarter engagement. Standard long range assault rifle-insas. Mix of both to give flexible patrolling.

pmaitra

7.62 mm, 9mm ammunition, 5.56mm only. More focus on close quarter engagement. Standard long range assault rifle-insas. Mix of both to give flexible patrolling.
We have 7.62x54, 7.62x51, and 7.62x39. We already have a pretty good diversity. No more calibres, but who's gonna listen?

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Logistics is the requirement of movements catering for supplies for moves. BSF is a static force so their logistics is pretty simple...

I think the intention is to ask about management of inventory..... How BSF will manage such large inventory....

Otherwise BSF will guard the border and fight may be one time battle at or around the border post... and is the end of it.

What logistics do they require.... one time supply of ammunition to them is sufficient to cater for their static requirement..... They do not require reserves. They are one time items...

The kind of inventory they have is the outcome of "Police Mentality" rather than they thinking themselves as a force and to be used as a force during war... to be integrated with the Army... After their ammunition is over they will simply take leave..

Last edited:

sasi

We have 7.62x54, 7.62x51, and 7.62x39. We already have a pretty good diversity. No more calibres, but who's gonna listen?
Are u sure? I only find 7.62x51 madeby ofb.

pmaitra

Are u sure? I only find 7.62x51 madeby ofb.
India also uses Dragunov and PK(?) (7.62x54, with some using rimmed catriges), and AKM (7.62x39), along with SMLE and FN-FAL (7.62x51). All are in service with military, COIN, BSF, CRPF, and State Police Forces.

sasi

7.62x54 is a sniper round. 7.62x39 is for fast fire supression mode(less recoil)more and 7.62x51 is standard assault.

cinoti

Tihar Jail
Banned
7.62x54 is a sniper round. 7.62x39 is for fast fire supression mode(less recoil)more and 7.62x51 is standard assault.
see you just proved pmaitra's point, different functions can be realized by varying barrel length based on same caliber, rather than adopting 4 or 5 different calibers.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
A very observant and valid point raised by Cinoti.

It is right that having an array in brands of the same weapon leads to a logistic nightmare.

However, BSF being static police force being on the borders has its logistic nodes close to location and so replenishment of a variety is not a very major issue.

Even so, there has to be standardisation if efficiency is to be achieved.

p2prada

I have a feeling the pics are for photo op.

Anyway, infantry modernization is on the cards. IA and BSF may be doing a mix and match with weapons to see which best suits them. This is not necessarily a permanent thing. Once an assault rifle, smg and handgun are identified for the FINSAS program, there may be more standardization. This is only my opinion though and I doubt anybody has an idea of what's actually happening.

nimo_cn

Country flag
Reminds me of the old days when we were playing Counter Strike 5.0, we need all kinds of weapons in a team.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I liked that fllimstar who was connected with 'fun' with Bo Xilai!

http://www.chinese-tools.com/china/people/2009-01-05-zhang-ziyi-beach-scandal.html

The pictures have spread like wildfire on the Chinese internet becoming the first sex photo-gate of 2009. After few hours, search (in Chinese) for the terms "Zhang Ziyi sex-photo-gate" on Baidu or Google China returned more than 100 000 results.

Check out the link above.

My Chinese friends says check these out too.

In Chinese : 章子怡海滩上演艳照门 (Zhang Ziyi beach sex-photo-gate)
All 81 pictures : http://x17online.com/gallery/ZhangZiyi

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles