Hong Kong protests Chinese extradition bill

Jameson Emoni

Not rejoicing at all...... Actually it's cringy seeing asains sucking up to white people.
Rejoice my friend and rejoice guilt free :)

---

Thousands across Asia Pacific march in solidarity with Hong Kong

Thousands of people have marched in cities in Australia, Taiwan and Japan to show their support for pro-democracy protesters in Hong Kong.

The "anti-totalitarianism" rallies on Sunday were part of a coordinated day of global protests, with solidarity marches to denounce "Chinese tyranny" planned in 60 cities across the world.

The global day of action comes as Beijing prepares to mark the 70th anniversary of the founding of the People's Republic of China on Tuesday.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019...rch-solidarity-hong-kong-190929093753935.html

republic_roi97

Country flag
Not rejoicing at all...... Actually it's cringy seeing asains sucking up to white people.
At its core its merely a pro democracy movement that's all that is. Now who supports it and who doesn't is a different game but I seriously doubt that west is behind starting this agitation, they might be fuling it, but so are we and millions of other free countries around the world. I wouldn't certainly wanna live with a regime, I cannot sue, if they decide to unilaterally takeover my property and cut me off of the world and restrict my freedom of thought and faith.

Jameson Emoni

At its core its merely a pro democracy movement that's all that is. Now who supports it and who doesn't is a different game but I seriously doubt that west is behind starting this agitation, they might be fuling it, but so are we and millions of other free countries around the world. I wouldn't certainly wanna live with a regime, I cannot sue, if they decide to unilaterally takeover my property and cut me off of the world and restrict my freedom of thought and faith.
There is a tendency among some Indians to reflexively oppose any action taken by West. This is counter productive. We should work with anyone as long as it is in the interest of Indian people.

China has done everything in its capacity to undermine India. India should do the same.

amoy

Hong Kong is a lost cause IMO.

30 years of nearly full autonomy. Up to now mainland Chinese travelling to HK would be requested of a pass + visa alike whereas most foreigners can enter visa free. HK residents are ok to hold different citizenships while for Mainlanders dual citizenship is not acceptable de jure.

Many protestors are flying flags of UK and US Etc. reminiscent of past colonial glory. Ironically during UK era there was zilch democracy at all - HK governor was dispatched from London and the legislature was entirely appointed. Obviously the autonomy has reinforced their self identification as a separate entity from China.

Its economy is totally "free" capitalism under control of a few families (mostly of real estate developers) . The govt is generally passive in minimally regulating or interfering in economy. The other side of the coin is monopoly, lack of innovation, and ultra poverty (ridiculous living conditions) owing to skyrocketing property price.

Thriving on entreport biz as a trading and financial hub, HK people used to have a condescending attitude towards mainland peers. But now this superiority complex has been greatly challenged by the rising mainland. It is very visibly stagnant in stark contrast to neighboring SHENZHEN.

U think that's a pro democracy movement? Hmmm too simple sometimes naive!

Last edited:

republic_roi97

Country flag
Hong Kong is a lost cause IMO.

30 years of nearly full autonomy. Up to now mainland Chinese travelling to HK would be requested of a pass + visa alike whereas most foreigners can enter visa free. HK residents are ok to hold different citizenships while for Mainlanders dual citizenship is not acceptable de jure.

Many protestors are flying flags of UK and US Etc. reminiscent of past colonial glory. Ironically during UK era there was zilch democracy at all - HK governor was dispatched from London and the legislature was entirely appointed. Obviously the autonomy has reinforced their self identification as a separate entity from China.

Its economy is totally "free" capitalism under control of a few families (mostly of real estate developers) . The govt is generally passive in minimally regulating or interfering in economy. The other side of the coin is monopoly, lack of innovation, and ultra poverty (ridiculous living conditions) owing to skyrocketing property price.

Thriving on entreport biz as a trading and financial hub, HK people used to have a condescending attitude towards mainland peers. But now this superiority complex has been greatly challenged by the rising mainland. It is very visibly stagnant in stark contrast to neighboring SHENZHEN.

U think that's a pro democracy movement? Hmmm too simple sometimes naive!
The clear and simple way to sort this mess out is to liberalise China's one party system and make it a two party system and then a republic make it work for atleast 2 years competently while giving all the rights and freedom to the citizens and open the economy, country to the world. Drop CPCs Monopoly on China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan all will join.

Rassil Krishnan

Country flag
The clear and simple way to sort this mess out is to liberalise China's one party system and make it a two party system and then a republic make it work for atleast 2 years competently while giving all the rights and freedom to the citizens and open the economy, country to the world. Drop CPCs Monopoly on China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan all will join.
Why do we have such a hard on for democracy it is so overrated it makes my blood boil .

India does not mean democracy it has deep ethno religious and religious roots.we should instead follow the tactics followed by china in destroying and wiping out islam as democracy is a failure in it.

Will west and ineffective western religions like human rights and democracy worship help us stop the growing muzzie problem.

Mark my words people keep ignoring this problem and it will be the most important roadblock in all India's endeavours such as development .

I'm not afraid of chinese army or pak army but the demographic trend .We should praise the Chinese as they are destroying christianity and islam.

I would rather live in an authoritarian regime that is prosperous and preserves ones culture rather than get invaded by foreign ideas.

amoy

Nah that's what I call naivety plus ignorance.

HK Macau and Taiwan are completely on their own with nil communist rule. Autonomy with a different passport, separate currencies, separate jurisdiction...

Only that Beijing wants to retain the final say in HK CEO (head) candidature as the main contending point. In colonial days up to 1997 Briton had given zero autonomy nor democracy.

Democracy is really what this movement (riot) is campaigning for??? U shall come to see for yourself instead of relying on fake news or wishful thinking.

Jameson Emoni

... and free Tibet ............................................................................................................

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag

Hong Kong Police using subdued protester as gun mount. This is humanitarian crisis. https://t.co/SPweYov4M2
Just playing devil’s advocate, anyone can answer..

Why should we as Indian citizens/DFI be bothered about what Chinese do to HK protestors? What do we gain by it?

It’s not like HK administration or citizens are going to reciprocate with concern or support us when something happens in India..

Illusive

Country flag
Just playing devil’s advocate, anyone can answer..

Why should we as Indian citizens/DFI be bothered about what Chinese do to HK protestors? What do we gain by it?

It’s not like HK administration or citizens are going to reciprocate with concern or support us when something happens in India..
Well we aren't doing anything are we?

Considering chinese support insurgencies in India, support terroristan, try to bully us, you'd already know thatenemy of my enemy is my friend, if not for supporting hong kongers against oppressive regimes like china who have hegemonic intentions in the region.

China is a modern equivalent of East India company of the british who are here to leech every resources from the host country for its own prosperity.

The other regional power being us, you'd think we should sit back and let it happen?

Haldiram

Country flag
I was wondering how the diligent 50 cent team didn't come online to defend their employer. Sure enough, someone showed up.

The fact that China was not able to make this protest vanish after so many weeks, despite their face recognition cameras, total control over internet traffic and complete monopoly over news outlets shows that there is a chink in the armor.

"The Hong Kong protests are "not a big deal" just like the Tianamen square protests weren't a big deal" - 50 cent team, basically.

Illusive

Country flag
I was wondering how the diligent 50 cent team didn't come online to defend their employer. Sure enough, someone showed up.

The fact that China was not able to make this protest vanish after so many weeks, despite their face recognition cameras, total control over internet traffic and complete monopoly over news outlets shows that there is a chink in the armor.

"The Hong Kong protests are "not a big deal" just like the Tianamen square protests weren't a big deal" - 50 cent team, basically.
Oh they tried

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2019/09/...hinese-accounts-targeting-hong-kong-protests/

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/dip...ests-banned-twitter-accounts-targeted-chinese

Assassin 2.0

Country flag
................. Delete......................................

Last edited:

amoy

Can Hong Kong break the stranglehold of the city’s biggest developers on land reserves? https://sg.news.yahoo.com/hong-kong-break-stranglehold-city-110852776.html

Amid all the disquiet are four families, each in control of a sprawling conglomerate that touches most aspects of Hong Kong life – from housing to transport and education, retail sales to telephony and utilities – at the core of which sits a real estate company. Together with Sino Land, these five developers build one of every two private-sector homes sold in the city.

Apart from the Chengs of New World, the biggest developers in Hong Kong are the Lee family of Henderson Land Development, the Kwoks of Sun Hung Kai Properties (SHKP), and CK Asset Holdings of tycoon Li Ka-shing.

Their collective wealth ballooned during Hong Kong’s property bull market, as a decade of cheap loans fuelled a yearning for homes that drove prices to rise fivefold since 2003. Eighteen, or 36 per cent, of the 50 richest people in Hong Kong in 2019 were property tycoons, according to Forbes.

Li, known in Hong Kong as “Superman” for his deal-making prowess, has been the city’s wealthiest man for decades, with his fortune estimated at US$31.7 billion last year. Henderson’s nonagenarian founder Lee Shau-kee is Hong Kong’s second-richest tycoon, while the Kwoks are the city’s fifth-wealthiest.

____
While their wealth grew, the rest of Hong Kong struggled, as spiralling rental prices and mortgages weighed on household incomes, while average living space shrank. A record 1.38 million residents were below the poverty line last year, with incomes as low as HK$4,000 (US$510) a month, according to government data.

“Simply and bluntly put, Hong Kong people are divided into two classes: property owners and those without,” said Kevin Tsui, an associate professor at the Clemson University’s College of Business in South Carolina. “As time goes by, the wealth gap gets wider, and non-property owners gradually get frustrated. They live in despair without seeing the future.”

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles