Historical Turkish Military Music

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Re: Chit Chat Thread

This song was apparently written before the famous Battle of Chaldiran in 1514, in which the Turks defeated the Shia Safavids commanded by Shah Ismail. The battle has consequences that last to this day, by transforming the Sunni-Shia ideological divide into a geographic and political one between Ottoman Turkey on one hand and Safavid Persia on the other.

Ottoman Military Band - Let's Go Veterans (Ey Gaziler) - YouTube

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Re: Chit Chat Thread

@civfanatic

In June 1876, Serbia was at war with the Ottoman Empire. Russia openly supported Serbia. The Russian Musical Society commissioned an orchestral piece from Tchaikovsky for a concert in aid of the Red Cross Society, and ultimately for the benefit of wounded Serbian veterans. Many Russians sympathized with those they considered to be their fellow Slavs and Orthodox Christians and sent volunteer soldiers and aid to assist Serbia.

Tchaikovsky referred to the piece as his "Serbo-Russian March" while writing it. It was premiered in Moscow on November 17, 1876, conducted by Nikolai Rubinstein.
This stuff deserves to be in history sub-forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
The music that starts around 00:15 is riveting. Wish I knew what the chant/song is called; I can make out "fatih istanbulu" which I think means "conqueror of Istanbul" :notsure:

Mohac Meydan Muharebesi TAM - YouTube

BTW, the battle depicted in the video is the Battle of Mohács in 1526, in which the Ottomans defeated Hungary.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles