Hi, I am Sandrocottas

Sandrocottas

Dear Forum friends,

I am a simpla patriotic indian staying in MUmbai .I am 44 years old and working in Engineering consultancy firm. I am a great fan of indigenous products and looking forward to successful induction of Arjun, Tejas, Astra etc.

Regarding the Name Sandrocottas, alexander used to call Chandragupta Maurya by the said name. Not much is known about the interaction between alexander and chandragupta. Chandragupta was a teenager when he met 30 year old Alexander .What chandragupta was doing (Indian spy or mercenary or a student ) in the vicinty of alexander is not known.But, he incurred the wrath of Alexander by boldly telling a truth on the face of aleaxander that alexander ordered his soldiers to cut the head of chandragupta for being impudent. But, chandragupta excaped.

I am a great fan of Alexander. not because he attacked India. But, becuase he was the greatest of all kings. Modern man with all the amenities does not budge from the sofa in front of his TV set. Whereas,alexander, in times, when there were no medical advances,there were no roads, where bears,tigers,lions, cheetahs,elephants, pythons were infested like mosquitoes (2300 years back) in every nook and corner of the forests, where there were no answer to cyclones, rains, diseases etc, alexander overcame all the same and came upto india ,this shows unexplainable determination and control over his empire where there were no telephones.
Unlike other emperors, he personally fought in his wars in he font and did not eat dinner until all his soldiers had eaten.

Had there not been a rebellion in alexander's army regarding sharing of the conquest spoils between the remianing greek soldiers and the locals ( many greek soldeirs died in battles and alexander had to recruit locals to maintain his army numbers );alexaner would have focussed on conquering india.

Thanks to all of you for your patient hearing,

All the best wishes to all of you.

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
hey Snadro u were on IDF right

welcome sir

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Welcome to DFI, Sandrocottas. Very interesting introduction. I saw in the documentary on Alexander that he and his soldiers were tired of crusading further because they were away from home for almost nine years and they were eager to go back home.

There is also a belief that Alexander learned that Gangaridai possessed four thousand elephants well trained and much more infantry equipped for war and moreover crossing the ganges was not easy. So, he decided to go back. Correct me if I'm wrong.

S.A.T.A

Welcome to DFI, Sandrocottas. Very interesting introduction. I saw in the documentary on Alexander that he and his soldiers were tired of crusading further because they were away from home for almost nine years and they were eager to go back home.

There is also a belief that Alexander learned that Gangaridai possessed four thousand elephants well trained and much more infantry equipped for war and moreover crossing the ganges was not easy. So, he decided to go back. Correct me if I'm wrong.
The Macedonians were happy to go back home soon after the sacking of Persepolis,the Persian capital.It was Alexanders strength of persuasion,ofourse the possibilities of rich plunder,that took all the way to Jhelum river.

That begs the question why Alexander returned soon after Hydaspes,which Greeks themselves called his greatest triumph after Guagamela.

According to period chronicles the,the revolt started first because Alexander could not pay his troops after the Hydaspes,If Alexander couldn't pay his troops how was he going to march them into the Gangetic plain.Greeks called Magadha as Gangaridae,which was a full fledged empire compared to Porus' puny kingdom.

The thought of facing thousands of more elephants certainly depleted their morale.

Sandrocottas

Yes Daredevil,

You are also right.

But Alexander always relished challenges. He was determined to go to Eastern India but his army did nit support him as they were scared to face the mighty magdha empire. Chandragupta in some his writings revealed that the figures of magadha army were inflated many times over by the local populaion so that Alexander's army gets scared and returns back. Historian Romila Thapar says that the economy of those days could not sustain an army (of Magadha) of such inflated figures. Hence, it was most probably a lie to scare Alexander's army as they hated the foreigners. Chanakya called them yavanas as Greece was known as Iona in ancient times.

Some historians say that Alexander did not actually forgive Porus after defeating him In Jhelum battle. But, it was Porus who defeated Alexander.The defeat broke the spirit of Alexander's army already torn apart by the rebellion between locals and greeks

Pintu

Warm Welcome to Defence Forum of India , Sir

Please enjoy your stay here.

Regards

S.A.T.A

Yes Daredevil,

You are also right.

But Alexander always relished challenges. He was determined to go to Eastern India but his army did nit support him as they were scared to face the mighty magdha empire. Chandragupta in some his writings revealed that the figures of magadha army were inflated many times over by the local populaion so that Alexander's army gets scared and returns back. Historian Romila Thapar says that the economy of those days could not sustain an army (of Magadha) of such inflated figures. Hence, it was most probably a lie to scare Alexander's army as they hated the foreigners. Chanakya called them yavanas as Greece was known as Iona in ancient times.
the military strength of Magadha was definitely exaggerated,Greek chroniclers similarly exaggerated the numerical strength of the Persians too.But it would be safe to say.the Magadhans would have easily outnumbered the Macedonians,besides they were fresh and had no battle fatigue

Some historians say that Alexander did not actually forgive Porus after defeating him In Jhelum battle. But, it was Porus who defeated Alexander.The defeat broke the spirit of Alexander's army already torn apart by the rebellion between locals and greeks
Based on Alexanders conduct in Persia and his conduct in India,one can only take Greek account about the Battle of Hydaspses with a pinch of salt.If not defeated the Macedonians definitely where checked at the Hydaspses,with no war loot and a undefeated enemy,Macedonians had to retreat.Greeks may have invented a more honorable spin to the retreat.

2300 years on the verdict is still out on this :)

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Nice to see bunch of History buffs around :). Flint is missing now a days.

I propose, lets make SATA as Resident Historian of DFI :D.

indian_sukhoi

Iam so glad to see more History fans around!!! :113:

A warm welcome Sandrocottas, Looking forward for fruitful discussions.

A.V.

welcome to dfi glad to see you here enjoy the forum

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles