Henry Kissinger's words of wisdom

Zebra

Country flag
Henry Kissinger’s words of wisdom - Opinion - The Boston Globe

By Nicholas Burns | Globe Columnist November 06, 2014

For 91-year-old Henry Kissinger, establishing a stable, balanced world order has been the overarching goal of his extraordinary life and career. "World Order" is also the title, not coincidentally, of his important new book, further affirmation of his place as one of the most distinguished foreign policy thinkers and diplomats in American history.

Kissinger returns to Harvard University this week, where he first made his mark as a brilliant young student and professor, following his service in World War II. He will talk with students about his most challenging negotiations with China's Mao Zedong and Zhou Enlai, the Soviet Union's Leonid Brezhnev and the leaders of Israel, Syria, and Egypt after the October War of 1973.

This "Lion in Winter," as the Aspen Institute's Walter Isaacson calls him, has authored a compelling book to help Americans make sense of a shifting, unsteady global order, and our own place in it.

And it is just in time. This year's seismic international shocks confirm we are experiencing challenges to global peace that, left untended, could cause even greater violence and disorder in the year ahead. In the burning Middle East, the people's revolutions of 2011 have largely failed, with nearly every country worse off as a result. Russian President Vladimir Putin's continued aggression by subterfuge in Eastern Ukraine threatens Europe's cherished democratic peace won with such promise at the end of the Cold War. A newly self-confident and assertive China is contesting the legitimate borders of the Philippines, Vietnam, and Japan in the South and East China Seas. And, an important new UN report warns that the impact of climate change may be greater than even the most sober scientists had thought.

These and other tests undermine, in Kissinger's construct, the international order he rightly believes is a necessary precondition for global stability, prosperity, and peace. Together, they are challenging President Obama's diplomatic dexterity in a way few would have imagined when he was reelected two years ago.

Kissinger worries that the durable and remarkably successful post-World War II order pieced together by Harry Truman, George Marshall, Dean Acheson, and others is now breaking down. For Kissinger, rebuilding that system is essential for a 21st century where the United States will remain the most influential country, but will need to share power with China, Russia, India, and others. Americans will need to help manage this global order through a mix of idealism and realism and resolve, as he wrote, "to act in both modes." This middle path is imperative to restore peace and to avoid a potentially catastrophic superpower struggle.

These takeaways from Kissinger's book speak directly to what I believe is Obama's central challenge in his last two years in office. The United States must rediscover its self-confidence as the lead international actor. We must honor American ideals by opposing Russian aggression in Ukraine and Chinese adventurism in Asia while doing what we can on a selective basis to contain violence in the Middle East.

At the same time — here is where realism comes in — we must also keep lines open to Moscow and Beijing on issues where they have great influence — climate change, terrorism, Iran, and North Korea. Despite our many differences with the Russians and Chinese, we simply can't operate in isolation from them. This generational challenge is rooted in intellectual and historical terrain that Kissinger may understand better than any other American. The United States can't afford to leave the world's center stage that Republican and Democratic presidents built because, in Kissinger's warning, "reconstruction of the international system is the ultimate challenge to statesmanship in our time." Words of wisdom from a remarkable American.

Hari Sud

Country flag
Are we talking about the same guy, who persuaded Nixon to order 7th fleet to the Bay of Bengal to attack India in 1971? The amount of abuse he heaped on India during this period is untold. All that to facilitate his secret trip to China via Pakistan.

bennedose

Kissinger is a racist bum who needs to die and be forgotten soon.

thethinker

Country flag
The Top 10 Most Inhuman Henry Kissinger Quotes | Alternet

The Top 10 Most Inhuman Henry Kissinger Quotes
Ten quotes that illustrate his megalomania and indifference to the deaths of untold numbers of civilians.

1. Soviet Jews: "The emigration of Jews from the Soviet Union is not an objective of American foreign policy. And if they put Jews into gas chambers in the Soviet Union, it is not an American concern. Maybe a humanitarian concern." ( link)

2. Bombing Cambodia: "[Nixon] wants a massive bombing campaign in Cambodia. He doesn't want to hear anything about it. It's an order, to be done. Anything that flies on anything that moves." ( link) (Emphasis added)

3. Bombing Vietnam: "It's wave after wave of planes. You see, they can't see the B-52 and they dropped a million pounds of bombs ... I bet you we will have had more planes over there in one day than Johnson had in a month ... each plane can carry about 10 times the load of World War II plane could carry." ( link)

4. Khmer Rouge: "How many people did (Khmer Rouge Foreign Minister Ieng Sary) kill? Tens of thousands? You should tell the Cambodians (i.e., Khmer Rouge) that we will be friends with them. They are murderous thugs, but we won't let that stand in the way. We are prepared to improve relations with them. Tell them the latter part, but don't tell them what I said before." (from November 26, 1975 Meeting With Thai Foreign Minister.)

5. Dan Ellsberg: "Because that son-of-a-bitch—First of all, I would expect—I know him well—I am sure he has some more information---I would bet that he has more information that he's saving for the trial. Examples of American war crimes that triggered him into it"¦It's the way he'd operate"¦.Because he is a despicable bastard." (Oval Office tape, July 27, 1971)

6. Robert McNamara: "Boohoo, boohoo "¦ He's still beating his breast, right? Still feeling guilty. " ( Pretending to cry, rubbing his eyes.)

7. Assassination: "It is an act of insanity and national humiliation to have a law prohibiting the President from ordering assassination." ( Statement at a National Security Council meeting , 1975)

8. Chile: "I don't see why we need to stand by and watch a country go communist due to the irresponsibility of its people. The issues are much too important for the Chilean voters to be left to decide for themselves." ( link)

9. Illegality-Unconstitutionality : "The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." (from March 10, 1975 Meeting With Turkish Foreign Minister Melih Esenbel in Ankara, Turkey)

10. Himself: "Americans like the cowboy "¦ who rides all alone into the town, the village, with his horse and nothing else "¦ This amazing, romantic character suits me precisely because to be alone has always been part of my style or, if you like, my technique." (November 1972 Interview with Oriana Fallaci)

Zebra

Country flag
Someone said it --> Indians love to live in past.

I think whoever said this, was not wrong and if anything left there then DFI people are trying their best to prove him/her right.

Anyway, today I am more interested in this part.....
For Kissinger, rebuilding that system is essential for a 21st century where the United States will remain the most influential country, but will need to share power with China, Russia, India, and others.

Zebra

Country flag
(this post is specially for those who think Americans are bad).

One more American......

Archer Kent Blood (March 20, 1923 – September 3, 2004) was an American diplomat in Bangladesh.
Archer Blood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Blood died of arterial sclerosis on September 3, 2004 in Fort Collins, Colorado, where he had been living since 1993. "When Archer K. Blood died last month, in retirement in Colorado, there was family, a few old friends and an entire nation to mourn his passing, but the nation that grieved for him was not his own. It was Bangladesh." His death made headlines in Bangladesh, but was lucky to make it to the back pages of the obituary sections in American newspapers. Bangladesh sent a delegation to the funeral in Fort Collins and Mrs. Blood received numerous communiques from Bangladeshis on the occasion of Mr. Blood's death. His contribution in granting moral contours of American Diplomacy in 1971 was acknowledged by Washington Post in the eulogy to Archer Blood in its columns.

In May 2005, Blood was posthumously awarded the Outstanding Services Award by the Bangladeshi-American Foundation, Inc. (BAFI) at the First Bangladeshi-American Convention.[3] Mr. Blood received this Award for his role in 1970 and 1971 for the cause of humanity and his brave stance against the US official policy while the Pakistan army was engaged in a genocidal mission in what is now Bangladesh. His son, Peter Blood, accepted the award on behalf of the family. This was followed on December 13, 2005, by the dedication of the American Center Library, U.S. Embassy Dhaka, in the name of Archer K. Blood. Present at the ribbon-cutting ceremony were Chargé d'Affaires Judith Chammas, Mrs. Margaret Blood and her children, Shireen Updegraff and Peter Blood.

pmaitra

Someone said it --> Indians love to live in past.
"He who forgets the past is doomed to repeat it." - Attributed to several people in various forms.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Attributed to Einstein, and several other sources.

I think whoever said this, was not wrong and if anything left there then DFI people are trying their best to prove him/her right.
DFI people, IMHO, are not insane, and are not doomed to repeat past mistakes, if the quotes above are anything to go by. What say?

Zebra

Country flag
"He who forgets the past is doomed to repeat it." - Attributed to several people in various forms.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Attributed to Einstein, and several other sources.

DFI people are, IMHO, are not insane, and not doomed to repeat past mistakes, if the quotes above are anything to go by. What say?
Sir, I didn't said anything about "forget the past".

It is better to live in present. And this is good for better future, anyway.

We did this thing in past (we stayed away from US) and if we do the same thing again in future (stay away from US), then what different we can expect!

Yeah, I do agree with you here. We must do something different now.

pmaitra

Sir, I didn't said anything about "forget the past".

It is better to live in present. And this is good for better future, anyway.

We did this thing in past (we stayed away from US) and if we do the same thing again in future (stay away from US), then what different we can expect!

Yeah, I do agree with you here. We must do something different now.
I just posted general wisdom.

There are many quotes that reflect some wisdom. Some of these quotes might contradict another quote.

Each individual can choose to pick what he wishes.

Zebra

Country flag
I just posted general wisdom.

There are many quotes that reflect some wisdom. Some of these quotes might contradict another quote.

Each individual can choose to pick what he wishes.
Sir, say something if you see something, about video in post #10.

pmaitra

Sir, say something if you see something, about video in post #10.
One hour long video. Could you please summarize it? I will not be able to see it until next weekend. :(

Zebra

Country flag
@pmaitra,

It was all about top level US crony capitalist and Chinese communist become bhai bhai.

Please watch again R&D, ToT part.

Last edited by a moderator:

pmaitra

@pmaitra,

It was all about top level US crony capitalist and Chinese communist become bhai bhai.

Please watch again R&D, ToT part.
I have watched a bit of it. Will watch later.

That guy's name is James Corbett. James shortens to Jim. Might as well call him Jim Corbett.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sonnpekikd

The Kissinger jewish doctrine means that all nature is destroyed and that all humans are killed.

Sonnpekikd

In the eyes of these persons you are, not even monotheists. If all goes after them, the indians as being indo-germanic, non-monotheist will not last much longer than some hundred years. This is all jewish-vaticanic-pharaonic plans of world destruction. You can help them now a bit providing space technology aso and if you are 'lucky' they clone some of your engineers and thats it, but your people same as mine, as no one is working against this kissingers and jews will definitely not last much longer than 200, 300 years. I ask you how blind and stupid can it be not to work against he world destruction? If you would but work against it you would first want to find the causes, and it is exactly this hidden pharaonic complex, and kissiniger is like rothschild having big influence in it.

Sonnpekikd

The god of the jews and christians is definitely NOT blessing all humans equally... But as long as we exist... everyone can believe what he she wants...

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles