Denel AH-2 Rooivalk

Bell AH-1Z Viper

Mil Mi-28 'Havoc'

Atul

Founding Member

HAL Light Combat Helicopter

K Factor

A Concerned Indian
The Ah-64D Apache is simply the best combat helo/gunship ever built. But at $25 Million a piece, they are expensive as hell.

As for the rest of them excluding the HAL LCH, they are all near about equal. Cannot comment on something that does not exist.

The Ka-52 is a good bird with high power, speed and maneuverability but its
effectiveness is reduced by lack of good weapons systems.

BTW, does anyone have any news regarding the weight issues with the LCH?

StealthSniper

I'm biased as ever but I would like to see the HAL light combat helicopter evole and be the one that India opts for in the end. We see that they can make a good utility helicopter like the Dhruv so I know they can make something competitive to fit indian needs.

Vladimir79

Professional
Mi-28N... with the new Hermes long range fire-and-forget missile, it will have no analogue in the world.

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
i a a bit fascinated by Kamanov Helicopters and it seems to me that the Twin blade concept is a good one i would like the Kamov Ka-52 "Alligator"and the Kamov Ka-50 "Black Shark" or the KA-50-2 in IA service

The Ka-50-2 is a tandem cockpit twin-seater variant of the Ka-50 that featured a modern, Israeli-made "glass cockpit" avionics and a turret-mounted folding (for landing clearance) 30 mm cannon instead of the fixed cannon on the Ka-50. It features combat proven avionics and advanced anti-tank guided missiles for a high level of combat effectiveness. The helicopter has excellent flight performance, and high combat survivability due to its coaxial rotor technology. It is equipped with IAI's flexible modular avionics suite, which can be readily tailored to meet the TLF's operational requirements and provides growth potential.[7]

IAI and Kamov successfully completed demonstration flights of the Russian helicopter with IAI's Core Avionics. These demonstration flights demonstrated the helicopter's "glass cockpit" with multifunctional displays and Control & Display Unit (CDU) driven by centralized Mission and Display computers, flight navigation and the operation of the Helicopter Multi-Mission Optronic Stabilized Payload (HMOSP) targeting system. The demonstration flights included night mission capability demonstrations, utilizing Night Vision Goggles (NVG) and the day/night targeting system

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamov_Ka-50

p2prada

Mi-28N... with the new Hermes long range fire-and-forget missile, it will have no analogue in the world.
Yup. The Twin rotors on the Ka-50 is maintenance intensive. Would definitely prefer the Havoc over the Kamov. Then there is Apache.

I'm biased as ever but I would like to see the HAL light combat helicopter evole and be the one that India opts for in the end. We see that they can make a good utility helicopter like the Dhruv so I know they can make something competitive to fit indian needs.
IA and IAF will be buying the LCH.

Vladimir79

Professional
Yup. The Twin rotors on the Ka-50 is maintenance intensive. Would definitely prefer the Havoc over the Kamov. Then there is Apache.
Ka-50 and Havoc are the obsolete editions of these aerocraft. Ka-52 Alligator and Mi-28N Nighthunter are the upgraded versions currently in production.

K Factor

A Concerned Indian
As a missile with primary role being anti-armor, wouldn't a tandem shaped charge warhead be better suited for it, instead of HE Fragmentation?

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
A HE Frag is good against IFV's and soft skinned transport targets only

Vladimir79

Professional
As a missile with primary role being anti-armor, wouldn't a tandem shaped charge warhead be better suited for it, instead of HE Fragmentation?
Hermes is a top-attack weapon with 1000mm penetration. No current or near future tank is going to survive.

bhramos

Country flag
the Best feature of Ka-50 is ITS ONLY HELICOPTER WITH EJECTION SEATS
that feature may be no other helicopter in World had untill now.

ppgj

agree with you. also has decent service ceiling though not as much as our own LCH.

bhramos

Country flag
i to think LCH is the best, but cant bank on First time projects,
like LCA , ARJUN......so on.

StealthSniper

i to think LCH is the best, but cant bank on First time projects,
like LCA , ARJUN......so on.

I think we should bank on first time projects. The LCA is a good aircraft which just needs a bigger engine, and the Arjun is also a good tank for our first one. We need to invest more money and be more serious with our own projects and we will be able to produce our own weapons that will be very competitive.

bhramos

Country flag
no yaar first we need expertise, then go for indigenous projects,
GOI realised its mistakes and started JV with foreign partners like
LCA- FGFA with Russia.
Arjun- Future tank with Russia
Akash- Barak-II with Israel like these so many JV's
first may be sucessfull JV project is Brahmos , so India got experience in Cruise Missiles so started Indigenous Nirbhay Cruise missile program so this will defiantly will be a hit, so that we can bank on these missile.
in similar way we first need experience and capability.
this was also a Mega Bumper Hit in our own Indigenous Space program's too.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles