Helicopter for Indian Army

AJSINGH

Indian Army needs variety of helicopters for its mission roles ..such as
1-Dedicated Attack Helicopters
2-Attack helicopters with troop carrying capacity
3-Recon mission helicopters
4-Heavy Lift helicopters
5-Medium Lift helicopters

Since Indian army has such wide range of missions ....they surely need dedicated Air wing...for that according to my opinion ...for
1-Dedicated Attack Helicopter---we should procure 120 KA-50-2 for desert operation...another 100 AH-64D Appache
2-Attack helicopters with Troop capacity---for that Indian Army should accquire 90 Mi 35 hind ...nothing like that exsist in NATO weaponry ...although if gunship version of V-22..is developed ..not a bad option
3-Recon Mission -advance version with sensors ALH dhruv would be good and cheap alternative
4-Heavy Lift helicopters - i would suggest Mi 26 halo ...not for kashmir region but everywhere else ..it can carry amroued personal carrier
5-Medium Lift ...i would suggest V-22 ( although not helicopter but works like one ..with higher service selling ..would be good for Kashmir and high altitude region )

members of the defence forum ..i would like to know your views on this

AJSINGH

Like other Kamov helicopters, it features Kamov's characteristic contra-rotating co-axial rotor system, which removes the need for the entire tail-rotor assembly and improves the aircraft's aerobatic qualities - it can perform loops, rolls, and “the funnel” (circle-strafing) where the aircraft maintains a line-of-sight to the target while flying circles of varying altitude, elevation, and airspeed around it. Using two rotors means that a smaller rotor with slower-moving rotor tips can be used compared to a single rotor design. Since the speed of the advancing rotor tip is a primary limitation to the maximum speed of a helicopter, this allows a faster maximum speed than helicopters such as the AH-64. The elimination of the tail rotor is a qualitative advantage because the torque-countering tail rotor can use up to 30% of engine power. Furthermore, the vulnerable boom and rear gearbox are fairly common causes of helicopter losses in combat; the Black Shark's entire transmission presents a comparatively small target to ground fire. Kamov maintains that the co-axial drive assembly is built to survive hits from 23 mm ammunition like the other vital parts of the helicopter.[citation needed] The zero native torque also allows the aircraft to be fairly immune to wind strength and direction, and to have an unsurpassed turn rate in all travel speed envelopes.

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Well I think the LCH can fit in in hi altitude CAS

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
On what basis did you arrive at all those numbers and different helos? You have forgotten LCH which will be operational in due course

AJSINGH

On what basis did you arrive at all those numbers and different helos? You have forgotten LCH which will be operational in due course
well first i have spoken to many army avaition officers ...plus the projected needs of the indian army ..also requires that many helicopters ....yeh about LCH ..that may be ready in due course but as of now our needs are urgent so for that we need to buy forgein helcopters also ....we will ask for full TOT..so we will have exprience in building complex machines

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I think Dhruv has proven Indias helicopter producing capacity. The LCH will surely come around well. But the front runner for the attack helo is the apache. The cancellation of the previous RFP is an indication of that.

ppgj

I think Dhruv has proven Indias helicopter producing capacity. The LCH will surely come around well. But the front runner for the attack helo is the apache. The cancellation of the previous RFP is an indication of that.
yusuf LCH was slated to be tested march,then became august but so far no news.any idea about the latest.it would be great to see.

Arun thevar

Mi 35 with troop caryining capability?thats new to me AJSINGh brother..
Anways the apache would perfectely suit the heavy attack category and LCH will fit in the midium level anti-armour role as it will weigh around 5-6 tons like the dhruv.There is no need for searching for alternates for LCH's role as it should b ready by 2012 max.No need to find imediate of the shelf products as IA doctrain now doesn't have speacilised attack choppers in it and a change is expected in future,whereby LCH will b there by thene to fill the block.

AJSINGH

Mi 35 with troop caryining capability?thats new to me AJSINGh brother..
Anways the apache would perfectely suit the heavy attack category and LCH will fit in the midium level anti-armour role as it will weigh around 5-6 tons like the dhruv.There is no need for searching for alternates for LCH's role as it should b ready by 2012 max.No need to find imediate of the shelf products as IA doctrain now doesn't have speacilised attack choppers in it and a change is expected in future,whereby LCH will b there by thene to fill the block.
so u dont know Mi 35 has troop capacity ..it was used extensively by soviets in the afghan war ..infact the commander of 66th army in afghanistan asked every Mi 35 to be in afghan war ...also know as " satan chariot " in afghanistan ...and yes IAF has been operation Mi 35 for a long time. If u still have any doubts ill post the link here
Mil Mi-24 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

also speaking about AH 64D Apache ...the issue with that helicopter is that it very expensive ...u can get 2 ka 50-2 for the price of one AH 64D...and AH 64 is a " overkill " for IA .....so i advaocate the purchase of Ka-50-2 for IA...also dedicated attack helicopters were asked my the army from a long time ...but were not accquired because the defence ministry thought that is the job of IAF ...well now that mindset is changing ..where IAF has already enough job to do ...so its about time that IA has dedicated air support helicopters and not depend IAF .....

Arun thevar

Aj i know that IA has mi-24,but didn't know that it had troop carrying capability.Anways thanks for enlightening me,but do we require such an heli when tody the most practised and viable following is having an weponised version of transportcraft like weponised version of druv etc that IA and many other nations have in their inventory for the role of troop carrying in combact zone.Having a helicopter dedicated for attack is the need and following of the current gen.Your post of apache and the Ka,well as i said the IA dosn't have a practise of having attack helicopter units as of now,and i dont think they will opt for biggies like apache and others in the category if they go for a change in their view and will opt for LCH as the role for which the IA is considering a change is light attack and anti-armour for infantary support,which the LCH perfectely suits in.

Arun thevar

Continuation....
If the IA opts for an helicopter for penitration and anti-armour and suppresing highly armoured mechanised battons roles then IA will surely consider the option,but that role is embarked upon IAF and hence they are cosidering the apache as their top and front runner as it was evident from the resent retendering of the rpf's for combact helicopters for iaf.Though the Ka is a great heli and one of my favourites,i dout its capabilities in desert as compared to apache and your argument about the price i think holds very less relevance as now our forces are concentrating more on qualitiy of the package under offer and also we must surely diversify our inventory.
Regards.

AJSINGH

Aj i know that IA has mi-24,but didn't know that it had troop carrying capability.Anways thanks for enlightening me,but do we require such an heli when tody the most practised and viable following is having an weponised version of transportcraft like weponised version of druv etc that IA and many other nations have in their inventory for the role of troop carrying in combact zone.Having a helicopter dedicated for attack is the need and following of the current gen.Your post of apache and the Ka,well as i said the IA dosn't have a practise of having attack helicopter units as of now,and i dont think they will opt for biggies like apache and others in the category if they go for a change in their view and will opt for LCH as the role for which the IA is considering a change is light attack and anti-armour for infantary support,which the LCH perfectely suits in.
you are right in a way but like i said that the mindset is changing .IA now see the requirment of dedicated attack helicopter.why i said Mi 35 is because when you deploying soilders close to border or conflict area .it is good that some air support is present .mi 35 can do both where as if u go for AH 64d and seperate transport helicopter like chinnok .then u have two helicopters doing the job of one Mi 35 .

AJSINGH

Continuation....
If the IA opts for an helicopter for penitration and anti-armour and suppresing highly armoured mechanised battons roles then IA will surely consider the option,but that role is embarked upon IAF and hence they are cosidering the apache as their top and front runner as it was evident from the resent retendering of the rpf's for combact helicopters for iaf.Though the Ka is a great heli and one of my favourites,i dout its capabilities in desert as compared to apache and your argument about the price i think holds very less relevance as now our forces are concentrating more on qualitiy of the package under offer and also we must surely diversify our inventory.
Regards.
u see u cant say that money does not matter now .it holds value everytime,ka 50-2 is more agile and faster than AH 64d.Plus if u buy american weapons ,there is always strings attached to it .I agree that weapons on Ka 50-2 are not better than AH 64D but India and russia can co develop those weapons .Plus if our very own "nag " anti tank missile is cleared .it is very unlikely that american would allow those missile to be used with AH 64d

joy1982

I don't think that India is going to induct any foreign attack helicopter because
by 2010 LCH will be ready to be operational.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles