‘Height’ of terror fight

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
‘Height’ of terror fight
GAJINDER SINGH

Chandigarh, July 1: Punjab police have put together a vehicle-mounted bullet-proof cabin that can be raised to a height of up to three stories to take on terrorists perched in vantage positions.

The cabin, made of special steel with openings big enough to allow clear vision, can hoist four to five armed personnel to a height of 20ft. It can also be used to lift ammunition up to 15kg in uneven terrain.

Two machine guns are fitted to the cabin which can be moved up and down with the support of four devices called hydraulic stabilisers.

The cabin, mounted atop a mini-truck, is expected to be of big help in anti-terror operations in residential areas and hostage crises, officials said. It could also work well in situations like the one during last year’s Mumbai attack, where commandos fought gunmen holed up at the top of buildings, they added.

Hoisted platforms are used by firefighters and civic agencies maintaining street lights, for instance, but they aren’t bullet-proof and can’t carry as much load.

“The vehicle can be used for deterrence and domination during terror attacks as it provides security forces with a clear view from a higher level,” state police chief K.K. Attri said after Punjab chief minister Parkash Singh Badal unveiled the vehicle at his residence yesterday morning.

Attri, who retired yesterday, said the vehicle had been designed by the police’s special wing, which has engineers among its ranks, in consultation with the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).

Gopalji Mishra, who heads the special wing and was closely involved with the design, said: “We wanted a bullet-proof police post that could have a clear view of operations. There are four hydraulic stabilisers as the cabin is heavy.”

The special wing’s innovations don’t end there. It has recently introduced a robot, again designed in-house, that can detect bombs 100 metres away. This is an improvement on the US-made robots the force already has on two counts.

“The US robots come at Rs 12 lakh each. The cost of the robots we designed is Rs 25,000. The foreign ones can detect bombs only within 50 metres and can lift 5kg of explosives. But our own robots can carry 12kg,” Mishra said.

The Telegraph - Calcutta (Kolkata) | Frontpage | ‘Height’ of terror fight

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
that is one innovative idea to fight terror from good hight...........

Pintu

A very good report Sayare, an excellent find, kudos to you for finding, it, the idea is quite innovative undoubtedly , but I have a question in my mind , if the terrorist target it with RPG (if they able to smuggle one) , it may be vulnerable for the personnel.

Regards

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Pintu in that case the LMG and sinpers at the platform will come handy, i may further add that Punjab police should install powerful camera with digital zoom which can be great help to the commander at ground to get bird eyes view of the situation along with night vision and thermal imaging equitment.

Pintu

Thanks Anup, I stand quiet clear now, that means the cabin must work for a surveillance system for the commander and as well as by him to direct the fire-power while in the Driver's cabin, and as well as the same time assault. I think 26X zoom camera and Hands free thermal imaging camera may serve the purpose. In case of the security personnel fighting , I think a helmet mounted Thermal Imaging Camera such as MSA Evolution 5000 (if available Hands free version) can do.

Regards

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
right but we should have network centric operations to fight terror that will help the commander at ground and at the HQ to fight terror.

Further more, we need to have place at disposal lot of funds for anti terror R&D. That is best answer to fight terror.

Pintu

I think personnel at the top in the cabin should have this type :

P15 AN/PVS15 Night Vision goggle ( Image : FLIR Thermal Infrared Cameras and night vision equipment at : AN/PVS-15 binocular night vision goggles) and also they may use this:

T14 Thermal Weapon FLIR sight mounted on top of rifle (Image at: FLIR infrared weapon rifle IR sight imaging night vison, courtesy : Infrared Cameras and Night Vision Cameras , available in : FLIR Thermal Infrared Cameras and night vision equipment)

T14 Mini Thermal FLIR shown attached to the adjustable weapon sight rail (Image at: FLIR infrared weapon rifle IR sight imaging night vison, courtesy : Infrared Cameras and Night Vision Cameras , available in : FLIR Thermal Infrared Cameras and night vision equipment)

Pintu

right but we should have network centric operations to fight terror that will help the commander at ground and at the HQ to fight terror.

Further more, we need to have place at disposal lot of funds for anti terror R&D. That is best answer to fight terror.
Network Centric operation is the need of the hour, I totally agree with you.

True , I am agree with you ,we should fund and invest more in the anti terror R&D, with more active Private - Public participation and I think we can rope Israel as our partner in this field.

Regards

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
First we need a mobile command post. Then we need quick transportation. Good light weight equipments. Then only such vehicles can be useful. Orelse it is just a sitting duck. Or an elevator that just goes up and down. Will be useful to change the street lights.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles