Heavy Machine Guns (HMG) in Indian Army

aditya g

Country flag
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...spit-fire-again-soon/articleshow/32623979.cms

Gypsy to become a strike vehicle (Mar 2014)
The Ordnance Factory Tiruchirapalli (OFT) has received a request from the army to fix anti-aircraft guns on Gypsy jeeps. The OFT is confident of fulfilling this demand for a 'jury-rigged' strike vehicle from the Indian Army.
"The infantry wants us to fix 12.7mm anti-aircraft guns, which are normally planted on tanks, to be fixed on Gypsies. In fact, the factory can make a few more modifications in the Gypsy. But so far the Army only wants it to be fitted with the anti-aircraft guns," the source said. The 12.7mm guns are time-tested and can be expected to be as effective for operations on the ground, said a source.

The modified Gypsy will be a crude version of a light strike vehicle, which the Army presently lacks. The Army had earlier issued a request of proposal for light strike vehicles and rejected another set of armoured vehicles presented to it by the ordnance factory, the source said.

This is from Army mela, The vehicle is a anti-tank maruti jeep mounted with NSV HMG ..

This is first time i have seen such a weapon on such a platform.

El_mag

Country flag
I think IA needs to go for the HMGs on light vehicles. The 12.7 or 50 cal will give much needed range and hitting power. The 'technicals' have become very popular across various conflicts.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Uploaded on Jun 21, 2009
Real Blackwater Afghan Mercs test firing "The Punisher"...a modified NSV heavy machine gun that shoots Russian 12.7x108 (US .50 cal is 12.7x99) close to 900 rpm. This was a 60 round belt that we timed to get an accurate cyclic rate. This gun is AK-reliable, cheap and will absolutely shred a soft-skinned vehicle or fortified position. Once vehicle mounted, they terrified the Taliban along the Kunar valley.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Uploaded on Jan 12, 2010
filmed with my i-kam glasses.

==================

Accuracy of this HMG with tripod is very impressive ..

aditya g

Country flag
Once Brig. Ray C was describing an LoC skirmish he was part of. Presumably this was early 90s. IA employed HMG to attack a paki bunker/sangar which literally fell apart due to the impact from HMG barrage.

----------------

The brownings in service were probably stripped from tanks that we captured or were in service with us?

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
I read somewhere that IA has around 500 Browning HMGs. But I thought they were pulled out of use and put in storage. IA logic was that for any heavy use 30mm AGLs with explosive rounds, or ATGMs, or 81mm mortars make more sense. But it seems that IA again wants HMGs and has even shown interest in mounting them on helicopters. I personally think that HMGs are important for their ability to shoot through light armour, light cover and even through trees, sangars, bunkers etc. HMGs have their own impotant niche which is required to be filled. But as usual OFB is being incapable of doing the job.

Last edited:

aditya g

Country flag
OFB does make 12.7mm NSV for armoured corps. Perhaps prevelance of MAG MMGs precludes need for a heavier type?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

There were more, Unable to find them though, One was specially NSV on 50cal tripod at CT area.

=============

Army does not use HMG only at certain sectors, AGL is what used in place of HMG from fixed positons and MMG can be seen on vehicles in mounted positions..

OFB does make 12.7mm NSV for armoured corps. Perhaps prevelance of MAG MMGs precludes need for a heavier type?

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
.50 cal HMGs are to heavy for the Infantry to carry around. However, they can be issued to the infantry battalions of all holding formations as sector stores to be handed over to the relieving units. They would be ideal for permanent deployment along the LoC and IB.

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
I think that HMGs should also be issued in Naxalite infected jungle areas, mounted on trucks & jeeps, to shoot through trees in instances of ambush of conveys by terrorists hiding behind trees and cover.

aditya g

Country flag
First one is a Browning.

What is the second one?

Does AGS have a penetrative effect like HMG?

There were more, Unable to find them though, One was specially NSV on 50cal tripod at CT area.

=============

Army does not use HMG only at certain sectors, AGL is what used in place of HMG from fixed positons and MMG can be seen on vehicles in mounted positions..

sbm

Country flag
Kunal - Is that second one really a NSV? It looks like a KPV 14.5mm.

Interesting photos.

=============

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
AGS has an explosive round, so it has way more penetration or effect compared to HMG but bullet speed is 1/5 of HMG, hence quick aim and direct fire difficult

jik60

Country flag

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles