Have Bombers become obsolete in Modern warfare?

Have bombers become obsolete in modern warfare?

• Bombers are still needed

Votes: 79 66.4%
  • Dedicated bombers not needed

Votes: 34 28.6%
  • Can't say

Votes: 6 5.0%

• Total voters

Agantrope

Nirbhay is vulnerable to interception , Brahmos range too small for interior targets because if you want to bomb economic center then they all are on the eastern sea board
IS it so, i dont think CM are interceptable with such a low RCS. give me any instance that any Sub-sonic Cruise missile is intercepted?

Agantrope

You are talking with some already canvased specific war situation in your mind.
Why won't long range missiles take out economic centers?
When it comes to warfare there is no room for low-level intensity. Full fledged war. Bombers are mainly used for interior attack on the strategic standouts like Radars, artillery batteries.

Missile firing is not a fun, when BM is launched a enemy can mistake for the nuke's launch, CM i think we dont have a such long range one, so when india is considered it is the only option to have a bomber

Country flag
Bombers are far from being obsolete, In USA's new Global strike weapon ,Bombers will play a key role.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
When it comes to warfare there is no room for low-level intensity. Full fledged war. Bombers are mainly used for interior attack on the strategic standouts like Radars, artillery batteries.

Missile firing is not a fun, when BM is launched a enemy can mistake for the nuke's launch, CM i think we dont have a such long range one, so when india is considered it is the only option to have a bomber
Bombers are here to stay as they play a pivotal role in taking out critical setups.
I just see modern fighters with far enhanced A2G power complementing present Bombers in possible similar jobs.

average american

Missiles are not going to do the job they are going to average up to even a 2000 lb war head, most much smaller. Well lets assume were talking about a general purpose bomb (GP) (GP bomb will have much less explosive filler but more metal fragments)

A 1000 pound bomb will leave a crater about 20-30 foot (depending totally on ground type and fusing)

I would expect a 1000 pound bomb to exert around 7-8 psi past 100 foot which would total demolish a typical house and probably about 3 psi out to around 150 foot which is enough to break up light construction. Fragmentation could be lethal well past 1/2 a mile although you would not expect to see many kills that far out. In the Gulf war USA dropped 80,000 tones on bombs, that means you would need 160,000 missiles with 1000 lb war heads to do the same job, see the problem. Right now we can load 80 glide 500 lb smart on a B1 that have a range of 65 miles. So far there has never been a Air defense system that could not be defeated, look at Badhdad it was the most heavily defended city out side of Moscow and it might as well not have had any defense at all...... 21 years ago, and we have come a long way since then. Yahoo! Video Detail for First Strike Gulf War Air Campaign 1991
2003 Yahoo! Video Detail for WAR Aviation - Shock & Awe Bombing Of Baghdad - Operation Ir

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0kcaziP-0o&feature=related

Last edited:

SPIEZ

Country flag
Yes, it certainly looks that way. With no pure bombers under development, the task has been assigned to the new 5 th generation Multi Role Aircrafts

Jim Street

Country flag
Unmanned stealth bomber with very speed (Mach 6-7) IMO will be nightmare for any other country at least against few countries with significant strength.

average american

Not much has changed and not much will change, if they even work. anti aircraft systems will be taken out first by missiles, then long range extend air to ground missiles, drones will come in giving off the same signatures as the stealth bombers with their hell fire missiles and smart bombs, then the glide bombs, then the stealth planes will come in an do the clean up on the antiaircraft systems, communication and control, the the big nonstealth bombers will come in with their massive bomb loads, If I am not mistaken F16, F17 F18s can carry up to 40 GBU-39 variant of the 250-pound class bomb,, normally they take off with less then a full load of fuel and are then fueled in the air. The you have the Apache with as many as 40 missiles.

There is some rumors and I know they are more the rumors of EMP weapons, there is perhaps something like directed EMP on F22s. Think about it,, why wont we even sell it to our closest allies, why does it need so much computer power,,,,if there is room for VTOL, what else is their room for. You just seen a laser vaporise a rock on mars.

pmaitra

Bombers will be extremely useful for countries like Syria, where the rebels have to be exterminated.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Bombers are useful in delivering big payloads where one cannot use BM specially bombs like MOAB and FOAB over enemy troops and enemy infrastructure in absence of long / medium range SAM..

Such payload have massive destructive capability but more physiological impact on enemy moral..

Last edited by a moderator:
Country flag
Bombers will never be obsolete no other planes can drop tonnage of explosives like bombers.
It would take over a dozen warplanes to equal one bomber.

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles