HAL Prachand - Light Combat Helicopter (LCH)

NutCracker

Country flag
2017-09-16-Premier-client-dexport-pour-l’hélicoptère-de-combat-Z-19E-03.jpg

Can we also have z-19/Apache kind of radar , Just in case if we want to use it in standalone formation ??

Future engine upgrades might get us more MTOW/ceiling. Thanks to our own 2X1200 kw/1600shp engine.
It can already reach to those mountain peeks where Apache can not.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Just remember that this is still LSP (Limited Serial Production)

The following will be part of the SP (Serial Production)
- MAWS
- EWS

View attachment 174174Bunker Bunker/Tank busting - ATGM (HEILNA, SPIKE, HELFIRE)
UAV destruction - AAM (MISTRAL, in future a variant of DRDO MANPADs)
SEAD(Suppresion of Enemy Air Defense) - ARM (Anti-Radiation missiles, most likely RUDRAM)
GUN - Soft targets(Human, Lightly armoured)
BOMB, RKT - Self explanatory

Everything above excluding the ARM is mentioned in it's official weapons config.

View attachment 174176
I wonder if it would be possible to integrate DRDO SAAW bombs on LCH ;Prachand; and Rudra

abingdonboy

Country flag
HAL chief said that IDAS (Intengrated Defensive Aids Suite) will be installed on the SP variants onwards of the LCH. It is also in the process of being indigenised aka ToT as stated by SAAB a while back.
So weird that they wouldn’t have this on the LSP airframes from day one. If tomorrow war breaks out these things are not only toothless (no ATGM) they are also defenceless like the Mi-17 that was hit by paki MANPADS in Kargil. Indian military mindset is so set in peacetime. They aren’t war fighters

+ the original plan was for DIRCM to part of the IDS on LCH, has that been dropped?

abingdonboy

Country flag
View attachment 174191

Can we also have z-19/Apache kind of radar , Just in case if we want to use it in standalone formation ??

Future engine upgrades might get us more MTOW/ceiling. Thanks to our own 2X1200 kw/1600shp engine.
It can already reach to those mountain peeks where Apache can not.
With this in service along with the Apaches I’m sure that the requirement for a domestic FCR will be escalated pretty quickly, I believe HAL has already thought about it

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
  • How did China figure out we landed LCH at DBO ? It either means China has clear LoS and observation to DBO, or China has credible intel sources on our side.

• The article mentions that the LCH camera detects the heating pitot tube as an infrared signature and jams it ! Interesting, does that mean the EO-sensor mounted atop the nose has some kind of self-protection system ?

• The story of Army's mentality over resisting LCH access to DBO purely shows how deep the army has buried its head inside the ground. China does patrolling using Z-9 near and here they are afraid of even deploying LCH at DBO.

mokoman

Country flag
  • How did China figure out we landed LCH at DBO ? It either means China has clear LoS and observation to DBO, or China has credible intel sources on our side.

• The article mentions that the LCH camera detects the heating pitot tube as an infrared signature and jams it ! Interesting, does that mean the EO-sensor mounted atop the nose has some kind of self-protection system ?

• The story of Army's mentality over resisting LCH access to DBO purely shows how deep the army has buried its head inside the ground. China does patrolling using Z-9 near and here they are afraid of even deploying LCH at DBO.
to be fair to army , DBO is ~10 km from lac , i dont think the Z-9 (Z-10?) patrol video showed it coming this close to LAC .

AnantS

Country flag
The article mentions that the LCH camera detects the heating pitot tube as an infrared signature and jams it ! Interesting, does that mean the EO-sensor mounted atop the nose has some kind of self-protection system ?
a) I think simpler explanation of Air defence Radars picked up when heli approached DBO?
b)I think what officer says in article that
Prachand EO -sensor used to lock onto heat emitted by pitot tube. Seems to the heat source was too close - that effectively overwhelms EO sensor(jams it) .. something akin to white noise. So they had to relocate tube in such position that its heat did not interfere with EO sensor yet accurately calculates air speed.

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
to be fair to army , DBO is ~10 km from lac , i dont think the Z-9 (Z-10?) patrol video showed it coming this close to LAC .
Yeah just because they did not show a video of it does not mean they did not. I remember it was in the news that China is now using attack helicopters for patrolling. Also now they have a helicopter base almost as same distance as DBO ALG just opposite DBO.

a) I think simpler explanation of Air defence Radars picked up when heli approached DBO?
b)I think what officer says in article that
Prachand EO -sensor used to lock onto heat emitted by pitot tube. Seems to the heat source was too close - that effectively overwhelms EO sensor(jams it) .. something akin to white noise. So they had to relocate tube in such position that its heat did not interfere with EO sensor yet accurately calculates air speed.
a) AD Radars can't detect type of aircraft unless they have extensive radar signatures of that platform already. Unlikely for LCH.
b) Ahh, seems that might be the case.

AnantS

Country flag
Yeah just because they did not show a video of it does not mean they did not. I remember it was in the news that China is now using attack helicopters for patrolling. Also now they have a helicopter base almost as same distance as DBO ALG just opposite DBO.

a) AD Radars can't detect type of aircraft unless they have extensive radar signatures of that platform already. Unlikely for LCH.
I doubt chinese knew exact type of aircraft. I am pretty sure they know average rc of MI17, and small combat helis they fly. They saw something different on screen which might have rc in ballpark range of typical length combat heli - and thats what they protested.

mokoman

Country flag

news is refering to a video chinese put out . dont think their choppers was flying close to LAC

Chinese have a post on a hill with direct line of sight to DBO helipad . i think they also added a EW or radome site to it too.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles