HAL Prachand - Light Combat Helicopter (LCH)

Agantrope

Saya: IOC is expected by dec 2011 and i think FOC will follow in one year after that. So, i believe IAF will have at least a squadron of LCH in active service by 2014.
Weaponisation will take atleast some 2 years. Heelfire/Spike are in the lineup for the system. If they go for Hellfire it may get delayed by 1 years atleast, if spike it may go on time. But i dont see any IOC by 2011.=sad

Anshu Attri

Country flag
Lightest helicopter now with the Indian air force( in Gujrati)

Last edited by a moderator:

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Weaponisation will take atleast some 2 years. Heelfire/Spike are in the lineup for the system. If they go for Hellfire it may get delayed by 1 years atleast, if spike it may go on time. But i dont see any IOC by 2011.=sad
Entire avionics package, EW suit, EO sensors and initial weapon package of LCH MK-1 is exactly same to WSI-DHRUV and later as a matter of fact has already passed though integration phase and presently undergoing weapon delivery test. Now this means that fighting punch of LCH will be ready, proved and certified even before LCH gets IOC. So, counting on this fact and after listening to 'Time Now" report(same is posted on page-39) i had said that LCH will definitely acquire IOC by dec 2011.

As far as integration of anti-tank missile is concerned then depending on my reading i can say that this weapon in addition to other guided weapons are generally integrated after IOC............. I don't know about Spike or Hellfire but counting on various media reports, i can say that weapon of choice for anti-tank role is HELINA(air launched NAG).

gogbot

While looking for information on the INSAS system on PIB press release , i seem to have caught something that has fallen through the crack's

PIB Press Release

Tuesday, February 16, 2010
Ministry of Defence

DEFENCE IMPORTS AFFECTS NATIONAL SECURITY, FOREIGN POLICY: PALLAM RAJU

17:34 IST

Following is the text of the inaugural address delivered by the Minister of State for Defence Dr. MM Pallam Raju to the Seminar on 'The Indian Army : Next Generation Systems, An Evolution', organised by the PHD Chamber at DefExpo – 2010, here today:-

ALH (Dhruv) has been introduced in service with latest weapon mounted platform. Similarly procurement of Cheetal helicopters is already underway

I guess weaponised DHURV has alredy entered service

plugwater

NDTV report(In Hindi)

Last edited by a moderator:

hellfire101

why are they showing off MI-24 as Apache??? looks like the editors gone for a nap =xD

AJSINGH

isnt LCH cockpit vulnerable to enemy fire,since it is larger ( i mean if you see the amount of glass used) when compared to Ah-64D and Mi24

mehrotraprince

Country flag
Firstly this is just a prototype, amount of glass will be reduced to minimum required value for final product. Don't compare it with Mi-24 or Ah-64D, they are medium combat helicopters.
This is primary designed for high altitude operations, where it is tough to operate medium and heavy class combat helicopters.

bhramos

Country flag
Firstly this is just a prototype, amount of glass will be reduced to minimum required value for final product. Don't compare it with Mi-24 or Ah-64D, they are medium combat helicopters.
This is primary designed for high altitude operations, where it is tough to operate medium and heavy class combat helicopters.
Mi-24 is Heavy class combat helli,
were any time Mi-24's used in Kashmir???

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
You don't use max take-off weight to measure the weight class of an aircraft. You use the empty weight. AH-64 is in the 5 tonne category and Mi-24 8.5 tonne. Mi-24 is a converted transport helo based on the Mi-8. Apache is a straight attack helo just as the Mi-28. There are three basic classes of attack helos, light which are usually converted utility copters like the Iroquis or Gazelle, medium attack in the LCH, A129. The Tiger is in between this class and the heavy class of Apache. It weighs in the medium range but has a better payload than Apache. That is due to its far newer design. The Mi-28 weighs far more than Apache with a higher payload. How useful that is can be debated but they are in the same heavy combat class.

mehrotraprince

Country flag
Classification of attack helicopters are not done on the basis of empty weight only. Classification of attack helicopters are based on certain guidelines provided by aviation controlling authorities just like commercial helicopters. Like FAA(Federal Aviation Administration) of USA has one classification criteria while other aviation administration of other countries have other own scales. Attack helicopters are classified on the basis of Empty weight + weight of crew + Certain fixed payload. Take an example of commercial or passenger helicopters:
Type-I (Heavy) - Skycrane / S-61 / 214ST
Type-II (Medium) - Bell 205
Type-III (Light) - Jetranger / Md-500

Helicopter Classification per USFS:
ICS-type I:
700 gal water, 16 seats including the pilot, allowable payload 5000 lbs. (e.g.: Boeing-234, S-64, AS-332, Vertol-107)
ICS-type II:
300 gal water, 10 seats including the pilot, allowable payload 2500 lbs. (e.g.: Bell-212, Bell-205, BK-117, S-58)
ICS-type III:
100 gal water, 5 seats including the pilot, allowable payload 1200 lbs. (e.g.: Bell-206B-III, Lama, MD-500, AS-355)
ICS-type IV:
75 gal water, 3 seats including the pilot, allowable payload 600 lbs. (e.g.: Bell-47, Hiller-12E)

Rahul Singh

Country flag
isnt LCH cockpit vulnerable to enemy fire,since it is larger ( i mean if you see the amount of glass used) when compared to Ah-64D and Mi24
You are correct, glass area is more than required but then it is still a prototype.........

There is something interesting in highlighted area, i guess this is how canopy of production model will look like.

AJSINGH

wait are we comparing LCH with Ah-64D and Mi28 ? isnt it too early to comment on LCH

warpiglet

Congradulations India On LCH

I would just like to congratulate India on this fantastic Technological Achievement really shows that India can match the west (and others)in developing top class weapons systems.
I have some questions though:

Who's going to operate these helicopters? The Indian army or air force.
I see this type of capability being for Army only as air force really only needs a CSAR helo capability. The present Mil 35 Hind are a great fit for this mission( I even wish we had a few for our AF).

The Indian development team seems to have leaned towards the European philosophy of light armed recon helo (Eads Tiger ARH, Agusta A 129 Mangusta). Rather than a Anti Armour helo such as the Americans have developed (Apache). As I assume much of the time it will be involved in counter insurgency operations rather than Cold war scenarios up against masses of tanks/IFVs. Will India be developing A mm wave radar system such as Longbow.

One thing that strikes me is that rear landing gear unit being very similar to our own S 70 Seahawk's.
So will this airframe be tested in the maritime environment? So have the developers already added featurs such as Folding blades and improved corrosion protection. As I would like to see this helo operate off LHD,LPD class vessels (Assuming India wants this capability in the future).

I even wonder if a modified variant could be produced for ASuW missions for light frigates/corvettes. An Indian "Sea Apache"

luckyy

after 10 years in production ,Dhruv (ALH) is still 90% foreign !

how much Indigenous would LCH be..?

kaisa tera jalwa , kaisa tera pyaar , tera emotinal attyachaar !

Articles