HAL Prachand - Light Combat Helicopter (LCH)

ppgj

Why din't DRDO release a picture of the ground run? :(
these are pre flight ground tests. any faults found need to be corrected before the flight lest the flight fails!! hence pictures are not released. if there are no problems expect the flight in a short time!! matter of days.

bhogta

DRDO is not the agency,which is working on this bird. HAL ( RWR&DC ) is the design and development agency for this helicopter.

plugwater

Indigenous attack copter ready for first flight

New Delhi: India’s first indigenous light combat helicopter (LCH) may embark on its first flight this month.

Being built at the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) facility in Bangalore, the LCH completed its first ground run on February 4.

Based on the LCH’s performance that day, its developers believe that the attack helicopter will be ready to fly soon.

“There are some minor issues to be taken care of. Its performance [during the first ground run] was more than satisfactory,” a senior HAL official said.

There have been enough indications that the LCH — to be armed with guns and different types of missiles and rockets — would be inducted in large numbers into the air force and the army by the end of 2011.

Almost 200 of them are expected to be in service with the Indian military.

The ground run, carried out for the first time on February 4, would be repeated regularly in the next few days. During these ground runs, the LCH would be fine-tuned for its first flight.

The LCH was announced in 2006 to meet the operational requirements of both the air force and the army for close air support and anti-infantry and anti-armour roles. It would also work in very high altitudes.

The twin-engine LCH is derived from the HAL’s Dhruv advance light helicopter, which is already in service. The LCH flies on the Shakti engine, which is jointly developed by HAL and Turbomeca of France.

Over the next two years, HAL officials are hopeful of obtaining the final operational clearance for the LCH and starting December 2011, it could be ready for induction.

According to the present design projections, the LCH would be heavily armed — it would carry a 20-mm cannon, four types of missiles (air-to-air, air-to-ground and anti-radiation, and anti-tank), rocket pods, grenade launchers and cluster bombs.

http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report_indigenous-attack-copter-ready-for-first-flight_1344742

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag
It seems the word co-developed is just being abused here - Shakti engine was coceveloped by HAL.
Its just a French engine - end of story.

plugwater

LCH to take first flight test very soon

New Delhi, Feb 12 (PTI) The first indigenously made light combat helicopter (LCH), which has successfully completed its initial ground run, will take its maiden flight very soon, a top official said today.

"The development of the LCH is well on its way. It will have its initial flight very soon. It has already completed its initial ground test runs," R Srinavasan, MD of Hindustan Aeronautics Limited's helicopter complex, said here.

The twin-engine LCH is derived from the Dhruv advance light helicopter, currently used by the air force. Its Shakti engine has been jointly developed by HAL and Turbomeca of France. It is expected to meet operational requirements like air support, anti-infantry and anti-armour roles, as well as work in very high altitudes for the air force and the army.

Reports have suggested that the LCH may have its first flight test as early as this month itself.

http://www.ptinews.com/news/513986_LCH-to-take-first-flight-test-very-soon

Rahul Singh

Country flag
LCH to take first test flight by month-end

New Delhi, February 12

India’s first indigenously made Light Combat Helicopter (LCH) will be making its maiden flight soon, most likely by the end of this month.

Managing Director of the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited’s helicopter complex R Srinavasan today said development of the LCH was well on its way and the attack helicopter would have its initial flight very soon. “The LCH has successfully completed its initial ground test runs,” he told a seminar on helicopters, Helipower India, organised by the Rotary Wing Society of India

The twin-engine LCH is a pure attack helicopter made by the design experience gained from the Dhruv Advance Light Helicopter developed by the HAL. Currently around 100 Dhruv helicopters are being used by the Indian armed forces and paramilitary forces like the Coast Guard and the BSF, civil operators like Pawan Hans and the ONGC, and state governments like Jharkhand. Dhruv is also being used by foreign countries like Ecuador, Nepal, Mauritius and Male.

Development time for the LCH was reduced because most of its components had been already checked out on Dhruv. HAL officials say the attack helicopter will have several advance systems, which are available on very few helicopters worldwide, and it had been developed keeping in mind the Indian terrain and operating conditions.

At present the only attack helicopters available with the IAF are Russian-made Mi-25 and Mi-35, which are not optimised for operations at high altitude. Experts say if during Kargil war, which was fought at very high altitude, the LCH was operational the scenario would have been very different.

The Shakti engine being used in the LCH has been jointly developed by the HAL and Turbomeca of France with primary focus on high altitude operation in Himalayas. Besides operations at very high altitudes, it is expected to meet operational requirements like air support, anti-infantry and anti-armour roles.

Best advance systems have been fitted on the helicopter, procured from different vendors worldwide that will ensure cutting edge technology to our defence operators, HAL officials say.

The HAL has also carried out modifications on some variants of its Dhruv chopper for anti-Naxalite operations with suggestions from paramilitary forces involved in anti-Naxal operations.

The two-day conference is being attended by civil and military helicopter pilots and professionals, besides representatives of chopper producing firms and officials of civil aviation and defence ministries.

rakesh

Tests for LCH in Bangalore

BANGALORE: Ground tests and endurance runs of the Light Combat Helicopter (LCH) prototype is currently underway in the city.

The LCH developed by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited is the first attack helicopter to be designed indigenously and is tailormade to suit the Indian Air Force requirements.

Sources said that ground tests and endurance runs were a prelude to the maiden flight of the LCH, expected to take place in the city shortly.

The LCH is being designed to fit into an anti-infantry and anti-armour role for the Indian armed forces.

India needs attack helicopters and a global tender floated for the same was cancelled earlier this year.

The LCH contemporaries include AgustaWestland T-129, AH-1 Cobra, and the AH-64 Apache.

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NEWS/newsrf.php?newsid=12370

Mohan

Respected Member
I think all the pics so far thats floating in the web of LCH sucks. I will be dissapointed if the real one looks like the mock model shown. I was in HAL heli division i was laughing at the employees there using a hand saw to cut projections near the door to fit the handle of the door at the back. The heli was to be handed over to ongc and after they accomplished doing that they came out bragging about the great job done.It was really sad.

vinodk25

what kind of system is this where flight dates of lch come and go every time.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
what kind of system is this where flight dates of lch come and go every time.
Thats the indian punctuality sir.deeply ingrained.I ve been reading about month end LCH test news since 2009 oct i suppose or it was dec.i dont get it wats with the HAL&DRDO.why announce dates when they are not confident about meeting the schedule.Why dont they do they test and then announce it.when was the last time HAL/DRDO ever meeting the deadlines...

Last edited:

pavanvenkatesh

It seems the word co-developed is just being abused here - Shakti engine was coceveloped by HAL.
Its just a French engine - end of story.
yes the engine was developed by turbomecca but i have a freind in HAL who told me that they do have the technical knowhow to develop indegenious engine but due to beaurocratic hassle its a bit of a problem

bhogta

yes the engine was developed by turbomecca but i have a freind in HAL who told me that they do have the technical knowhow to develop indegenious engine but due to beaurocratic hassle its a bit of a problem
No its can't sorry my friend. There are a lot of thing about a engine , which we still don't know.

Agantrope

Absolutely pavan, One of my frnd said that Tejas program was stalled by the US sanction and it got s*cked and also added that because of french the ALH program went with a bearable delays. We need to remove the red-tape for more development of nation. I think private involvement may reduce the red-tape blah bah blah.

@Bhogota

We are good in making engines, but europe engines are comparatively reliable to others so we are actually doing an tech absorption

bhogta

May be you are right. Can you give me a list of Indian made engine and there capabilities. I am just asking to increase my knowledge. No bad intentions.

JAISWAL

hello i m new here
sir, in my view LCH is going same way as LCA it may get only limited productio what u say

gogbot

hello i m new here
sir, in my view LCH is going same way as LCA it may get only limited productio what u say
Sources in December reported that.

HAL has already bagged orders from the IAF and ARMY

Hindustan Aeronautics Limited, headquartered in Bangalore, has already received an order to deliver 65 units of the Light Combat Helicopter to the Indian Air Force, and 114 units to the Army, an official of HAL said.
http://www.dancewithshadows.com/aviation/india-to-test-fly-hals-light-combat-helicopter-soon/

http://www.mynews.in/News/HAL_to_flight_test_LCH_prototype_next_month_N36065.html

or LCH gonna be technology demonstrator?
No, the LCH it self is based on the Dhurv. There is no need for a technology demonstrator.

The LCH is a derivative of the HAL Dhruv, which has already been inducted into the Indian armed forces. Using a successful and proven helicopter as the base platform is expected to conserve the project costs for the LCH, which is currently pegged at INR 3.76 Billion.

The LCH was expected to be ready for the initial operational clearance (IOC) by December 2010 with the final operational clearance (FOC) in 2011. However, the newly revised timeframes hold that the 5.5-tonne LCH should be ready for induction into IAF by 2012-2013

JAISWAL

gogbot thanks
but isnt it had to test fly in march 1st week and still geting delayed thats y i doubted it

pavanvenkatesh

No its can't sorry my friend. There are a lot of thing about a engine , which we still don't know.
I don't know i was telling what my friend in HAL told me he says although our tech are not as updated as the west we have a pretty good knowledge about these things

Articles