HAL Prachand - Light Combat Helicopter (LCH)

Gandaberunda

Country flag
I am not comparing LCH with some porki heli....I am just stating my though....T-129 not even turkish own design . and we own every major thing in LCH... Army procuring it in large number also IAF I hope all are not for High altitude region ...That's why i said if we mean to place it in our western border 5-10 each with a AH64 with longbow. then we should also keep in mind to armed it more deadly, as it will be our work horse in armor close support mission.
As of now LCH doesn't even have ATGM. But it will be armed effectively not heavily even in plains

Gandaberunda

Country flag
I am not comparing LCH with some porki heli....I am just stating my though....T-129 not even turkish own design . and we own every major thing in LCH... Army procuring it in large number also IAF I hope all are not for High altitude region ...That's why i said if we mean to place it in our western border 5-10 each with a AH64 with longbow. then we should also keep in mind to armed it more deadly, as it will be our work horse in armor close support mission.
As of now LCH doesn't even have ATGM. But it will be armed effectively not heavily even in plains as deployment will be for giving cover to infantry regiments... Rest

SUPERPOWER

Country flag
As of now LCH doesn't even have ATGM. But it will be armed effectively not heavily even in plains as deployment will be for giving cover to infantry regiments... Rest
Atleast they should try to integrate 2 atgms....Otherwise whats the purpose..

Chinmoy

Country flag
Because, without atgm how will you target those tanks ?
Very true.

Now just go back to the main reason for building LCH in first place.

It was built after Kargil war to take the war at those heights where conventional gunships or helis can't operate. For that the 20mm gun and 70mm rockets are enough. Same is true for any light tank deployed at that height. For them the ATGMs are kind of over kill.

But yeah, we do need them for sure. But its not like that it can't operate or would be ineffective without those ATGMs.

Now if we look into the delay of its induction, we would find that the weapon package is the main reason besides everything else. Although the gun and rockets were there from day one of inception. But the turf war in between IA and IAF caused the whole thing to go back into the chill plate. IAF simply didn't want IA to operate them just like Apache.
MoD played along the line and then the demand for AAM on board came into play and all the drama of Mistral integration happened. Now IAF is major stakeholder in the program. If you follow the news, IA is not insisting on ATGM integration in a stubborn manner. But they would take it if it comes along which DRDO is working on. Its the media experts who are towing the line that without an ATGM, LCH is toothless.

Gandaberunda

Country flag
Very true.

Now just go back to the main reason for building LCH in first place.

It was built after Kargil war to take the war at those heights where conventional gunships or helis can't operate. For that the 20mm gun and 70mm rockets are enough. Same is true for any light tank deployed at that height. For them the ATGMs are kind of over kill.

But yeah, we do need them for sure. But its not like that it can't operate or would be ineffective without those ATGMs.

Now if we look into the delay of its induction, we would find that the weapon package is the main reason besides everything else. Although the gun and rockets were there from day one of inception. But the turf war in between IA and IAF caused the whole thing to go back into the chill plate. IAF simply didn't want IA to operate them just like Apache.
MoD played along the line and then the demand for AAM on board came into play and all the drama of Mistral integration happened. Now IAF is major stakeholder in the program. If you follow the news, IA is not insisting on ATGM integration in a stubborn manner. But they would take it if it comes along which DRDO is working on. Its the media experts who are towing the line that without an ATGM, LCH is toothless.
IAF is really retard and acts cocky everytime. They don't allow latest weapons to go into army aviation corps and wants both army aviation and navy aviation to be controlled under them while struggling to maintain effective squadrons.
This cocky approach of IAF and MoD has caused huge effects on Army while navy has resisted and steered clear of this while maintaining balance.
Basically Apaches should be under Army aviation corps but IAF gobbled all those and Mod came up with mere 8 no's for Army. Now this IAF is messing with LCH causing all delays.

Lost user

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
The HELINA ATGM has been tested since 2011.. I don't understand what's the damn delay in induction.. Is it some other worldly technology ?.. atleast integrate it for deployment along LAC, where unlike Rajasthan, ambient heat is not a problem, .. Induct it even if it is 90 percent ready..

Gandaberunda

Country flag
The HELINA ATGM has been tested since 2011.. I don't understand what's the damn delay in induction.. Is it some other worldly technology ?.. atleast integrate it for deployment along LAC, where unlike Rajasthan, ambient heat is not a problem, .. Induct it even if it is 90 percent ready..
It's the tug of war between IAF and Army. Both were eyeing for Apaches in numbers and if LCH was to be inducted loss of foreign maal. IAF played it's tactics and gobbled all Apaches leaving army to accept LCH has no option. If given option army will go to Apaches over LCH.
Indegeneos weapons are tested till eternal and endless trials

Chinmoy

Country flag
IAF is really retard and acts cocky everytime. They don't allow latest weapons to go into army aviation corps and wants both army aviation and navy aviation to be controlled under them while struggling to maintain effective squadrons.
This cocky approach of IAF and MoD has caused huge effects on Army while navy has resisted and steered clear of this while maintaining balance.
Basically Apaches should be under Army aviation corps but IAF gobbled all those and Mod came up with mere 8 no's for Army. Now this IAF is messing with LCH causing all delays.
This is same everywhere. Even the US has undergone the same turf war.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Where will you integrate it?

On other hand, you simply don't procure a weapon only because it has been developed. You have to first formulate a usage plan for it. Based on that a number gets decided and order is placed.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles