HAL Prachand - Light Combat Helicopter (LCH)

Pazhassiraja

Country flag
LCH structure is supposed allow 12 ATGMs max. View attachment 80389
I don't the exact weight of those, but the rocket pods are apparently the same weight class as the dual-ATGM racks (as permitted on outer hardpoints).

At service ceiling of 6500m or can carry about 500kg payload, I think, if I remember. But LCH was seen with 4 rocket pods in Ladakh trials, so I'm guessing min 8 ATGMs at heights where they can be needed.
Yes. In one of the previous discussions here too, it was said that LCH was meant for 8 ATGMs. So in comparison, Mangusta has more firepower at least in the plains. So for being an effective support to the Apache in the deserts, HAL should have thought about improving the weapon package, in addition to the protection systems seen in Rudra.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
So in comparison, Mangusta has more firepower at least in the plains.
What! How?.. Please read & understand my words before replying.

I can't find any photo of your Mangusta with more than 8 (LCH is restricted to that only at Ladakh altitude). In plains LCH can have 12 ATGMs, against Apache's 16, or this combo...

IMG_20210305_102414.jpg

Just its rocket pods are smaller & are in same weight class as 2-ATGM rack, so to carry 8 ATGMs with rockets Iike the common gunship loadout it'll have to carry those on the outer hardpoint.

Last edited:

Pazhassiraja

Country flag
What! How?.. Please read & understand my words before replying.

I can't find any photo of your Mangusta with more than 8 (LCH is restricted to that only at Ladakh altitude). In plains LCH can have 12 ATGMs, against Apache's 16, or this combo...

View attachment 80407
Just its rocket pods are smaller & are in same weight class as 2-ATGM rack, so to carry 8 ATGMs with rockets Iike the common gunship loadout it'll have to carry those on the outer hardpoint.
My mangusta?? I am a supporter of desi products, but always wish that these become better than or at par with what's available with our adversaries. So comparisons should be always there.

I have read your reply and am happy to know that a light copter can carry 12 ATGMs, but I was pointing towards the larger rocket pods which mangusta has in a common gunship loadout. Larger pod is certainly more firepower in terms of no. of rockets. So I just wanted to know why the designers got contented with a smaller pod in spite of the powerful engines in LCH - is this a design aspect or an operational requirement set by the users.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
My mangusta?? I am a supporter of desi products, but always wish that these become better than or at par with what's available with our adversaries. So comparisons should be always there.

I have read your reply and am happy to know that a light copter can carry 12 ATGMs, but I was pointing towards the larger rocket pods which mangusta has in a common gunship loadout. Larger pod is certainly more firepower in terms of no. of rockets. So I just wanted to know why the designers got contented with a smaller pod in spite of the powerful engines in LCH - is this a design aspect or an operational requirement set by the users.
Srry don't get hung up on wording. I didn't notice I wrote that until you mentioned 😅 anyways the rocket-pods are smaller because (1) they're needed to strike at much higher altitudes, so 4 of them should still be light enough & (2) the targeting system of LCH is deemed exceptionally accurate by flight-testing pilots (source: Tarmak007 interview) so 12 instead of 19 can do the job...
Check out video.

Was rest of the explanation satisfactory?

Last edited:

Pazhassiraja

Country flag
Srry don't get hung up on wording. I didn't notice I wrote that until you mentioned 😅 anyways the rocket-pods are smaller because (1) they're needed to strike at much higher altitudes, so 4 of them should still be light enough & (2) the targeting system of LCH is deemed exceptionally accurate by flight-testing pilots (source: Tarmak007 interview) so 12 instead of 19 can do the job...
Check out video.

Was rest of the explanation satisfactory?
Yes. Thank you

bappa0099

Country flag
How many 20 mm cannon rounds will LCH carry? Is it sufficient? Don't get me wrong but some where I read it just 150 rounds and it seems very low

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
Can someone compare lch and atak -129
Indigenous content weapons etc pls
T 129 carry somewhat more weapons but lower service ceiling , engine is imported in atak , while lch have joint development one.

Basically t 129 is acopy of European with some license manufacturing , verylittle indigenous part and some rebranding ,while lch is a fully indigenous design

Abdus Salem killed

T 129 carry somewhat more weapons but lower service ceiling , engine is imported in atak , while lch have joint development one.

Basically t 129 is acopy of European with some license manufacturing , verylittle indigenous part and some rebranding ,while lch is a fully indigenous design
Can some write an article details engine weapons etc

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
How many 20 mm cannon rounds will LCH carry? Is it sufficient? Don't get me wrong but some where I read it just 150 rounds and it seems very low
It is 300 rounds according to Jane’s all worlds aircrafts.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Still very low...Is there any chance we can increase the number? A combat Helli with more rounds means more close support ..
some points from my end.

- 20 mm gun for a combat heli can only strafe, it's not a accurate weapon at long distance.
- Each of these ammunition weight around 250 grams, so there is a weight penalty for an LCH. even at 150 rounds that is almost 37 kg of ammo.
- India uses THL-20 turrent, which is a single barrel gun. there is barrel stress penalty as well for continuous firing, compared to a gatling gun type barrels.
- A combat heli can always carry extra gun pods on it's pylons, if there such a necessity.

Gandaberunda

Country flag
Still very low...Is there any chance we can increase the number? A combat Helli with more rounds means more close support ..
LCH is designed to operate at high altitudes of Himalayas ... During Kargil war IAF didn't had any Heli to operate over 12000 ft high peaks hence LCH was mandated to produce. Now it's unfair of you compare that to normal plains/ desert operations configuration or any heli porks trying to acquire. We have AH-64E Apache for plains and desert operations which can give cover to LCH shortcomings in combat.
Also IAF will field Apaches on Pak front so it's better to compare ATAK-2 with IAF Apache

bappa0099

Country flag
LCH is designed to operate at high altitudes of Himalayas ... During Kargil war IAF didn't had any Heli to operate over 12000 ft high peaks hence LCH was mandated to produce. Now it's unfair of you compare that to normal plains/ desert operations configuration or any heli porks trying to acquire. We have AH-64E Apache for plains and desert operations which can give cover to LCH shortcomings in combat.
Also IAF will field Apaches on Pak front so it's better to compare ATAK-2 with IAF Apache
I am not comparing LCH with some porki heli....I am just stating my though....T-129 not even turkish own design . and we own every major thing in LCH... Army procuring it in large number also IAF I hope all are not for High altitude region ...That's why i said if we mean to place it in our western border 5-10 each with a AH64 with longbow. then we should also keep in mind to armed it more deadly, as it will be our work horse in armor close support mission.

Chinmoy

Country flag
I am not comparing LCH with some porki heli....I am just stating my though....T-129 not even turkish own design . and we own every major thing in LCH... Army procuring it in large number also IAF I hope all are not for High altitude region ...That's why i said if we mean to place it in our western border 5-10 each with a AH64 with longbow. then we should also keep in mind to armed it more deadly, as it will be our work horse in armor close support mission.
Your whole thought process around LCH is wrong. It was never meant to be a work horse or a close air support system.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles