HAL Prachand - Light Combat Helicopter (LCH)

Pulkit

Satyameva Jayate "Truth Alone Triumphs"
Country flag
They are not gonna be unarmed, you know that. Weapon platforms will be inducted gradually but that doesn't mean we don't buy it. Placing order will help the production line become functional properly. Keeping such programs in limbo will lead to more imports and death of such indigenous program.
I do agree though I will add we can start with a small order and push them to accelerate the process of induction of weapons at a faster pace.

Will u buy a car without a fuel tank?
Yes, you won't buy a car without a fuel tank, though the comparison is lame I will still say I personally will go ahead and buy a car without a music system Air Conditioner and even airbags.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
Then LCH are going to be only utilized for Obersation roles ?
LCH can have multiple roles.

During kargil war mi 17 were used to launch rockets at Paksitani posts. This of course was a bad idea because they were huge slow without any counter and not so Manuvervale.

If another such situation arise LCH can be used to level a post on heights like this.

LCH are small so Radars will have a hard time detecting them in mountains
They are fast so they will hit and run away quickly.
They have counter measures like flair and maybe Infrared Jammer in the future.
They are manuverable as fuck so no they will turn sharp corners.
They have protection to 7.62 round so no random paki can bring them down with their heirloom machine guns.

During kargil war we used to send soldiers to climbers mountain to get close to Paki post
Due to height advantage they used to inflict heavy casualties on us. Now if we had LCH at the time we could just send the helicopter to lay a barrage of rockets on their post to either terminate them or put them on backfoot to give advantage to our adavancing units.

Other than this they will patrol an area before troop movement and dislodge any threat if necessary.

Rohan Naik

Country flag
I do agree though I will add we can start with a small order and push them to accelerate the process of induction of weapons at a faster pace.

Yes, you won't buy a car without a fuel tank, though the comparison is lame I will still say I personally will go ahead and buy a car without a music system Air Conditioner and even airbags.
The car without such assesories will run. And will drop you to your destination. However, car can't run without fuel. It's the same with ATTACK helis. Their main purpose is to attack and not to fly for aerobatics.

VIP

Ultra Nationalist
Country flag
The car without such assesories will run. And will drop you to your destination. However, car can't run without fuel. It's the same with ATTACK helis. Their main purpose is to attack and not to fly for aerobatics.
And they can attack by using their rocket launchers and guns, and super maneuverability is the key. They are in the process of getting indigenous ATGM for it and meanwhile a stop gap measure is also in the process. So, stop doubting.

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
LCH can have multiple roles.

During kargil war mi 17 were used to launch rockets at Paksitani posts. This of course was a bad idea because they were huge slow without any counter and not so Manuvervale.

If another such situation arise LCH can be used to level a post on heights like this.

They are fast so they will hit and run away quickly.
They have counter measures like flair and maybe Infrared Jammer in the future.
They are manuverable as fuck so no they will turn sharp corners.
They have protection to 7.62 round so no random paki can bring them down with their heirloom machine guns.

During kargil war we used to send soldiers to climbers mountain to get close to Paki post
Due to height advantage they used to inflict heavy casualties on us. Now if we had LCH at the time we could just send the helicopter to lay a barrage of rockets on their post to either terminate them or put them on backfoot to give advantage to our adavancing units.

Other than this they will patrol an area before troop movement and dislodge any threat if necessary.
Actually Mi-17s are not that slow. US & NATO countries use Chinook with mounted minigun as light CAS. Plus Mi-17 can carry a formidable amount of firepower with them.
During Kargil war, as the image you posted, Mi-8/17s were armed with 6x 80mm Rocket Pods each carrying 20 rockets each. And during the initial assault on Pakistani bunkers on hilltops, they were brutally effective in delivering large amounts of explosive accurately.

They were even able to evade against ANZA/Stingers MANPADS as they were fitted with IR countermeasures. The one Mi-17 that was lost against MANPAD was not armed with IR countermeasures.

Only drawback? They lack any effective armour, like Mi-24/35 which can take hits from .50 cal bullets and fly unscathed.

Any flying object with metal propellers appears like bright-sun on radar screens. So not really applicable. But yeah, you are correct on other points.

Due to height advantage they used to inflict heavy casualties on us. Now if we had LCH at the time we could just send the helicopter to lay a barrage of rockets on their post to either terminate them or put them on backfoot to give advantage to our advancing units.
It should also be noted that during Kargil, apart from Mirage-2000 we lacked any jet which can deliver ordinance with high accuracy on small-target like mountain-top bunkers. Even during that, I remember we hastily bought some GBU kits from Israel/America.

Now the game is completely different. We can drop guided bombs from as far as 100km accurately and Pakistani SAMs will not even detect which jet dropped it.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
Actually Mi-17s are not that slow. US & NATO countries use Chinook with mounted minigun as light CAS.
Didn't know anything about this, I assumed a heavy heli would have a hard time at gaining speed.
Plus Mi-17 can carry a formidable amount of firepower with them.
During Kargil war, as the image you posted, Mi-8/17s were armed with 6x 80mm Rocket Pods each carrying 20 rockets each
But weren't these tactics used to make up for the lack of accuracy in the helis. Now a hellfire would do the job of a single rocket pod.
Any flying object with metal propellers appears like bright-sun on radar screens. So not really applicable. But yeah, you are correct on other points.
I drew my conclusion mostly based on this.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
@mist_consecutive
Say we try to capture Gilgit where do u think Pakis will position themselves.

There will be multipel points of Incursion throughout the borders, they would have to occupy some important positions if they have to defend an area.

A mountain Ridge overlooking a road, bridge city will do.

I think LCH will play an important role in taking back POK.

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
@mist_consecutive
Say we try to capture Gilgit where do u think Pakis will position themselves.

There will be multipel points of Incursion throughout the borders, they would have to occupy some important positions if they have to defend an area.

A mountain Ridge overlooking a road, bridge city will do.

I think LCH will play an important role in taking back POK.
In any conflicts involving mountainous terrain, airpower is critical to get an upper hand and minimize friendly losses.
Dhruv/LCH is created keeping in mind high-altitude Himalayan mountain terrain where rarefied air makes operations of helicopters a challenge. So yeah, it will play an important role.

However, we won't be able to field them without air superiority. Pakistan will not make the same mistake that of Kargil in the next conflict.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
Another fantastic photo of #IAF LCH at Ladakh . This fantastic bird will rule the sky. With Mistral 2 ATAM and Spike-ER ATGM it will dominate the battlefield.
Jusy order a good 100+ for army and 50+ for Air force. We should then gradually move on to HCH platform to fill the gaps of Mi 35 that are gonna retire soon.

WolfPack86

Country flag
EXCLUSIVE: Light Combat Helicopter Deployed With IAF In Ladakh
In a massive show of faith ahead of first orders for the type later this year, a pair of HAL Light Combat Helicopters (LCH) has been operating with the Indian Air Force in Ladakh for a week now. Two LCH airframes flew into Ladakh from Bengaluru last weekend and have been flying armed patrol sorties between Leh and other airbases, including forward areas, in Ladakh as part of a sharp force projection deployment.

The deployment came at the Indian Air Force’s request — a deep show of support for the inbound combat helicopter that will populate units in both the IAF and Indian Army, with total orders expected to top 150.

One of the 2 LCHs broke cover yesterday when IAF vice chief Air Marshal Harjit Singh Arora flew in one. Livefist can confirm that the Air Marshal flew the LCH from Thoise to Leh. Flying with an HAL test pilot, the vice chief took off from Thoise in full mission configuration — the LCH was flown to a high-altitude forward helipad with temperatures as high as ISA + 36 deg. The Air Marshal was given a full in-flight demonstration of the helicopter’s handling in extreme conditions. During the flight, the LCH crossed several passes including Khardung La and Chang La near Leh, even carrying out a simulated attack on a high altitude target. After the attack, a simulated aerial combat profile was flown to demonstrate the LCH’s manoeuverability.

While LCH airframes have seen trials in Leh periodically for years, most notably in 2015, the current deployment is hugely significant. Operating with IAF pilots and alongside the IAF’s AH-64E Apache attack helicopters (visible in the photograph at Leh below), operational pilots are getting to fly the Indian combat helicopter in a live operational setting for the first time and truly seeing why this purpose-built rotorcraft will be an undoubted asset in that forbidding terrain, and crucially one that can be deployed at those heights all year round.

Speaking in an exclusive interview to Livefist in June, HAL chairman R. Madhavan said, “That (the order) will come very soon. We have concluded price negotiations. We are now awaiting financial sanction. By the end of this year, we should see the initial order for 15 aircraft. After that we expect orders for more than 150. In fact, assuming we’re receiving the order, we’ve already begun production of five new aircraft immediately. This will allow us to deliver the aircraft earlier than planned, once the order is confirmed.”

Watch the full interview with HAL’s chairman at Livefist’s YouTube channel, here.

The LCHs are incompletely weaponised at this time, as detailed most extensively here by Livefist, though there could be forward movement on that front with first orders for the aircraft looming. Lacking an anti-armour missile and Mistral air to air munitions, the LCH currently relies on 70mm rockets and its chin-mounted gun.

The Indian Army’s Rudra armed helicopters have also been deployed in Ladakh during the current standoff, and have been operating from forward air bases. Livefist detailed that deployment here.

Sridhar_TN

Country flag
Ohh my God. This country should apologise to you. You should write a email to PMO, MOD, and HAL in order to attract their attention that LCH is being deliver without having capability of ATGM. Because ATGM instalation will take minimum 50years so no reason to order it
So you feel Pakis will get scared without weapons and missile on this machine. You really are grossly underestimating..

Without intended weapon platforms, the helicopter can not even be used for training.. but buy it... !!!
Leave it. For whatever reason , he is very anti Indian products.

But that being said. I’m reading osint saying spike er will be integrated for immediate deployment, while drdo ATGM will be integrated after trials completeion.

Sridhar_TN

Country flag
Will u buy a car without a fuel tank?
Seriously. They come with guns and rockets. Similar to the Mi 26 which is All that they carry.

The lch atgm integration is also ongoing, and if local atgm takes time, spike or French atgm will be integrated.

Your analogy is weird.

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
Leave it. For whatever reason , he is very anti Indian products.

But that being said. I’m reading osint saying spike er will be integrated for immediate deployment, while drdo ATGM will be integrated after trials completeion.
Bdw
I also read that 600 helifire s bought for lch and Apache
Again some one says spike er .....it's their speculations nothing else ..........

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles